Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Guests Stand?

Hi all!

I am planning an outdoor garden ceremony for May 2015 (hopefully no rain!).
My question is, because of the shape of the garden area we may not be able to provide 140 seats for all of our guests.
The ceremony should be no more than 15 minutes (civil marriage done by my FI's uncle).
So is it ok to have some people stand?

Thanks for the advice!

Re: Guests Stand?

• dorica887 said:

Hi all!

My question is, because of the shape of the garden area we may not be able to provide 140 seats for all of our guests.
    The ceremony should be no more than 15 minutes (civil marriage done by my FI's uncle).

Thanks for the advice!

Definitely not. You need a seat for every butt. Sounds like you need a new ceremont site.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • dorica887 said:

Hi all!

Thanks for the advice!

Every guest should have a seat.  You say the ceremony is only going to be 15 minutes.  Some people show up about 15-30 minutes prior to the ceremony so that will mean that they are standing for 30-45 minutes.  And I don't know about you but standing in grass in heels for any length of time is not my idea of a good time.

If the ceremony space will not hold enough seats for your guests then you either need to find a new ceremony space or cut your guest list.

• No, it's not OK to have people stand. You need a seat for every guest. As a PP said, most people will be arriving at least 15 minutes before the ceremony even starts. 
  • I don't think it's okay to plan for some guests to have to stand, no matter how brief the ceremony.  While it wouldn't kill any of your (younger, healthy) guests to stand for 15 minutes, as some guests do during cocktail hour, I wouldn't intentionally plan a wedding knowing that some guests will have to stand.

Garden ceremonies are lovely, I hope you'll be able to work out some sort of seating alternative with the planner.

• I also hope you have a back- up plan for rain.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks very much for all the feedback.
    The venue has told me 150 seats should fit, but I'm not 100% sure.

We have an alternative for both outdoors as well as indoors at the same location. But would love to try and have the garden ceremony.

Again, I really appreciate the responses, I hadn't really thought about the 15-30 minutes early and then most likely a little more standing for cocktail hour.

• Yup, I agree with all of the other posters, I would be upset to have to stand. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Every seat needs a butt. Either find a new site or cut the guest list.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I've attended 3 weddings in the last few years that were outdoors with a lack of seating. Do you know how much it sucks to stand there in heels that are sinking into the grass when you can't sit down? Don't do this.
  • I would hate to stand, even for 15 minutes, at a wedding.  Everyone needs a seat.  If the venue you want to use doesn't allow for that, you need to find a different venue or cut your guest list.
  • As someone who is very short (even in very high heels), standing in grass is not awesome. I can never ever manage to stand in a spot where I can see AND where FI (who is tall) isn't blocking someone else's view.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Also, aside from it being physically uncomfortable for your guests, consider whether they will be able to see if they are all standing. Definitely not a good idea.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @dorica887 - for your wedding party members think about getting them something hard to stand on whether that be large pavement stones or pieces of wood cut into a shape.  That way when they are standing there (mainly the girls) they won't be sinking into the grass.

• @dorica887 - for your wedding party members think about getting them something hard to stand on whether that be large pavement stones or pieces of wood cut into a shape.  That way when they are standing there (mainly the girls) they won't be sinking into the grass.

I love this idea!!

I am lucky in that the venue we picked has a "Stadium Style" seating with little pavement stones to define the rows.  It means the aisle has steps (The sides do not for anyone who has trouble with steps and our wheelchair bound friend) and that each row of seats is flat and a little elevated.  For us it just worked out the best and allows plenty or room for everyone to see.  Also the "alter" area is brick so none of the girls or boys have to stand on grass.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards