Wedding Woes

There has to be more to this story

Dear Prudie,
I come from a very dysfunctional, abusive background. I have made it my life's goal to run and never look back at the insanity. Becoming an abuser and continuing the cycle is my greatest fear in life. My girlfriend and I are recent college grads. Over the holidays my girlfriend was visiting her family, while I stayed home. I got violently ill. For more than a week I could not keep anything down. I was too dizzy to drive and could barely take care of myself. During this time I ran out of dog food. For two days, the pooch had chunky soups mixed with dry cat food for meals, because that's all that was in the house. He seemed to enjoy it! When my girlfriend returned she was livid and is convinced that I am an abusive jerk not to be trusted around children, pets, or even the elderly! She called me mean, cruel, and selfish. Why didn't I call a friend to pick up the dog? Why didn't I see about a kennel? Why am I trying to poison her baby with people food? She's made a few remarks as well about "reconsidering children" with someone so "solipsistic.” I am feeling so guilty. I see now I could have made a better decision. My girlfriend is trying to get me to go to counseling for my "abusive" behaviors. I know I made a mistake but I don’t feel I’m turning into my father. But am I? Should I go to the counseling?

—Doggone Dinner 

Re: There has to be more to this story

• Okay, I'd be kind of pissed just b/c there are things in those soups that could've been poisonous.  But if the dog made it through okay, chalk it up to stupid decisions and please make a better one next time, even if you are really sick.

Everything else makes me think she's 1: crazy or 2: wants to break up. 
  • yeah, she's crazy.

I mean, I try not to give my dog soup but random bits of meat (recently it was boiled chicken breasts)are good enough for "fuck if I"m going to drive in this snowstorm", let alone "fuck if I'm going to try to drive while deathly ill"
  • I wouldn't have been upset with him. Had he not fed the pet at all... There would be a problem. But considering the guy probably didn't even know her fears about people food... Growing up my family fed our family dogs tons of scraps and they remained very healthy. Today there is more research about it from vets, but it's still not common knowledge. All this is is an instance of ignorance at worst.  Personally I would rather he didn't risk his life to make sure the dog had perfect dog food for two days. The odds are terribly slim that two days of soup and cat food would cause enough of a build up to kill or injure the dog.

But seriously, even if he did feed the dog something worse (chocolate, chicken bones in ignorance) it doesn't warrant such a response.  Have to reconsider having kids now? Really? I hope there is way more to the story than the writer is showing, if not the woman is crazy and he would probably have a miserable time trying to raise kids with her.
  • Why didn't he just call someone he knows to go to the store for him? I mean seriously, there has to be at least one person who would have done that.
  • CaliMel11 said:
    Why didn't he just call someone he knows to go to the store for him? I mean seriously, there has to be at least one person who would have done that.
    Likewise, if it was the girlfriend's "baby" then why didn't she make sure her dog was going to have enough food?

So glad she cared more about the dog's diet for 2 days than her BF being violently ill.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • We've given our dogs human food for meals before because we hadn't been able to run up to Tractor Supply. I mean, it was stuff that dogs are allowed to eat like rice, plain chicken, chicken broth and eggs, but still, as long as that soup didn't have anything poisonous in it, I don't see why she's freaking out so hard. If he gave the dog like... French onion soup, I'd be pretty fucking upset, but otherwise, no.

• CaliMel11 said:
    Why didn't he just call someone he knows to go to the store for him? I mean seriously, there has to be at least one person who would have done that.
    Likewise, if it was the girlfriend's "baby" then why didn't she make sure her dog was going to have enough food?

So glad she cared more about the dog's diet for 2 days than her BF being violently ill.
    That too! It just seems really strange. I mean if my sig other was that ill, I would have at least seen if someone was around who could have taken them a care package/walked the dog or something.
  • I love my rabbits, and they get spoiled, but if my husband was sick and they got slightly neglected for two days, I would be far more concerned for him than them.  He would feel bad enough that he had to resort to that - no way am I adding my own guilt on to his!  That's just cruel.  And his treatment of my rabbits when he is sick is not a sign of his treatment of future kids - it's not the same! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards