Attire & Accessories Forum

The one ring

So FI says he will not wear a wedding ring unless it is 'the one ring' from the Lord of the Rings!  I don't mind, however, I have a few questions if anyone can help me. 

-Has anyone ordered one of these online and can you make a recommendation on where I can get one.  There are thousands of them on etsy and ebay and I'd really like a recommended seller.  

-I also only want the engraving on the inside and none on the outside, which FI is ok with.  So if anyone has a recommendation on that I'd like that as well.  For example has anyone bought a plain ring and then had this engraved on the inside by a jeweler?

-My engagement ring and wedding band are platinum, will it look funny if he gets a gold band.  I think I want to stick with the color that this ring was in the movie.  
-Final question, I want something that will be durable but will not cost a ton. I was set on getting a real gold band but I worry FI will wear it for the honeymoon and then wear it on rare occasions after that, so I don't think I should spend a ton on something fancy.  Suggestions?  Tungsten?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: The one ring

• I think your best bet is to go and talk to a jeweler in your area.  I am pretty sure that you can get anything engraved on the inside of the ring as long as it all fits.  Also talk to them about the different types of metal because they are the most knowledgeable.  Whether you buy from your jeweler or not I would still talk to them to get some information.

As for the color of his ring compared to yours.  That really doesn't matter.  He should have what he likes since he is the one that has to wear it.

• My rings are platinum and my husbands ring is black with a silver satin finish stripe in the middle. I think rings don't have to match anymore, it's more important you both have rings you love.

A simple gold band doesn't have to cost you a fortun, what might run you more is getting it engraved. If you can find a local jewler who will do the engraving, you might be better off because then FI can go into the store to try the ring on for size before it's engraved. Don't just go to chain jewelry stores to look into this, sometimes the smaller speciality stores where you may think you can't afford, can offer you more options & services then chain stores.

• My ring is yellow gold (I honestly prefer silver toned jewelry, but it is heirloom ring) and FI is either going to get titanium or black ceramic, so color doesn't really matter much.  It's more important that you each have a ring you would love to wear for the rest of your lives.

• My FI wants the one ring too. :)

As far as getting one without tge engraving on the outside, you'll have to talk to local jewelers. The only One rings sold online have engraving on both sides.

Your FI can have whatever metal he likes, they don't have to match.

You could consider Tungsten, cheap and durable, bit make sure its what he wants. Also check local dept. Stores fine jewelry clearance. A plain gold band isn't cheap but it isn't crazy expensive either.

Anniversary
  • It doesn't matter if the rings match.  H wanted yellow gold, I wanted him to get white gold to match my rings so we flipped a coin.  :)  He won.

His yellow gold band cost more than my white gold band with diamonds, so beware.

I don't think tungsten or the alternative metals can be engraved...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • My FMIL had my FI completely convinced that our rings had to match. His mind was blown when I said, "You have to wear it, you should have something you like," - like that never even crossed his mind.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!  I have some investigative work to do now!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you already checked out this?: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f27b/ I'm getting mixed info when I look into whether you can get aftermarket engraving for that combination of metals, but in terms of remaining true to the movie, price, and durability, it looks good.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards