Wedding 911

Venue fell through and they're not pulling out of the contract! What do I do???

Alright, so My wedding is July 25, 2014. I booked my reception at a place called Bluemound Gardens; they weren't my first choice, but they were in the budget.  All of a sudden last week I got a call from one of my friends (who is having her reception at the same venue two weeks before) and she tells me that something just passed in the city government which is allowing our venue to turn into foreign student housing! What?!?!? The thing is that the venue wasn't even the one to tell us! She went to another hotel to set off a block of rooms, and that's where she found out!  Now we've come to find out that their contract won't go through until March 18th, so they won't allow us to pull out of ours until that point!  We found another venue who is working with us on our budget, and I actually like it better than Bluemound. But they still won't let us out of our contract.  This other venue is an option right now, and they're holding the room for us for a week, but they will not hold it until March (which is sensible business, but could leave me without a venue)  They're also not willing to refund any money until after they pull out of the contract. Without that money we don't have everything we need for a down payment anywhere else.

We're not holding it against the wedding coordinator because it's not his fault that the owner won't let us out of the contract, but he's the only one we can get a hold of.  The problem is the owner refuses to contact us.  We've tried numerous times in the past week to talk to him, and we've been told twice that he would call at a specific time, and he never called!  If he won't call, how do I get out of a contract? If he doesn't let me out of the contract, do I need to wait until March to sign another one? What do I do without the money for another deposit?

Re: Venue fell through and they're not pulling out of the contract! What do I do???

• I'm not one to give legal advice but I feel like you could take that to court?
  • edited February 2014
    Yes, I would engage a lawyer to push the first venue to let you out of the contract early.  I know that can cost money, but sometimes just sending a letter can open up the conversation...
  • Try contacting the town. They are the ones who are arranging to have this place changed into housing.  Probably the owner doesn't want to break a contract until the town has 100% passed the ordinance to turn it into housing as he wants to keep his options open, which doesn't help you any sadly.  Contact the representative for your area and tell them the problem. He/she should have someone on their staff to assist you.

Contacting an attorney, but that will cost money. I don't advocate this normally, but could you put the new deposit on a credit card and then pay it off immediately when the other place gives you your refund? 
  • Try contacting the town. They are the ones who are arranging to have this place changed into housing.  Probably the owner doesn't want to break a contract until the town has 100% passed the ordinance to turn it into housing as he wants to keep his options open, which doesn't help you any sadly.  Contact the representative for your area and tell them the problem. He/she should have someone on their staff to assist you.

Contacting an attorney, but that will cost money. I don't advocate this normally, but could you put the new deposit on a credit card and then pay it off immediately when the other place gives you your refund? 
    This.  The risk you have, however, is that if the city *doesn't* push it through then you're stuck with deposits and contracts for 2 venues.  I would contact the city and see how much of a "sure thing" this is.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I would talk to an attorney. What is their liability for breaking the contract? Hopefully you could get them to cancel if your threatened legal action if they concealed later. If getting an attorney isn't an option I would read the contract very carefully and see what it says about either party canceling and their liability.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• According to the news articles I found, it's not a done deal yet. They got preliminary approval from a planning committee, but the council hasn't approved it yet.

The articles I found also said it's a multi-year process, so it's unlikely that it would affect your wedding.

But I still think you should contact the BBC and get their help.

http://m.wauwatosanow.com/news/academy-for-chinese-students-gets-wauwatosa-panels-approval-b99183882z1-240224371.html
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I would call up the planning department, ask them what the deal is, or go in in person and ask F2F. they are going to be a lot more willing to tell you what the "real deal" is. They know if council likes the idea, and what the public will have to say about it etc. all the things that go in to the final decision.

Ok I just read the article, this is solely dependent on the outcome of the public hearing/ public comment, if an angry mob comes out it's getting shut down, or it could be all roses and butterflies.

What I would do is write a letter to the paper/TV news, talk at the public hearing saying how much you think this is a great idea and how much you support the Chinese students coming to your community. See if you can maybe use this with the venue to get out of your contract. I do something for you, you do something for me.

Have you talked to your venue about what will happen if they cancel your contract, aka do you have a clause where they have to find you a similar venue within the same price point, or do they have to pay you for your inconvenience? 

• Alright, so the owner of the venue refuses to let us out of the contract until march 18th.  As to the person who said it won't go through they're trying to get the students in by fall, so it would for sure be in full swing construction by fall.  We're contacting the news to get them involved. Going in person doesn't work because the owner isn't there, and I live 5 hours away anyway. 

• daniv2014 said:

Alright, so the owner of the venue refuses to let us out of the contract until march 18th.  As to the person who said it won't go through they're trying to get the students in by fall, so it would for sure be in full swing construction by fall.  We're contacting the news to get them involved. Going in person doesn't work because the owner isn't there, and I live 5 hours away anyway. 

I'm confused...if the construction on the venue wouldn't start until the fall, which is after your wedding, why would they need to pull out of the contract at all?  it sounds like everything will look the same for your wedding as it did when you booked the place.  I think you're all worked up about nothing.

And unfortunately, if this is the case, and nothing will change there before the fall, they're not just going to "let" you out of your contract, because they will not be in breach.  If you want to get married at the new place, you're going to have to walk away from your deposit at this one.

If they are planning to begin construction before your wedding date, then i can see you getting out of the contract.  but if not, i think you're stuck.

• What does your contract say will happen if they are in breach of the contract? I wouldn't put all my eggs in the basket of investigative reporting by the news. That or worst case scenario you only have to wait a month to know if the contract goes through.

• delujm0 said:
    daniv2014 said:

Alright, so the owner of the venue refuses to let us out of the contract until march 18th.  As to the person who said it won't go through they're trying to get the students in by fall, so it would for sure be in full swing construction by fall.  We're contacting the news to get them involved. Going in person doesn't work because the owner isn't there, and I live 5 hours away anyway. 

I'm confused...if the construction on the venue wouldn't start until the fall, which is after your wedding, why would they need to pull out of the contract at all?  it sounds like everything will look the same for your wedding as it did when you booked the place.  I think you're all worked up about nothing.

And unfortunately, if this is the case, and nothing will change there before the fall, they're not just going to "let" you out of your contract, because they will not be in breach.  If you want to get married at the new place, you're going to have to walk away from your deposit at this one.

If they are planning to begin construction before your wedding date, then i can see you getting out of the contract.  but if not, i think you're stuck.

This.

• delujm0 said:
    daniv2014 said:

I work in news; I assure you that since this is still pending the outcome of a public hearing, the news isn't going to care. They might be trying to get students pending a successful public hearing, but until that public hearing happens and the municipal board votes to approve it, it's still not a done deal.

And until it's a done deal, they haven't breached their contract with you. 

Also, everything PPs said.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • So what happened on March 18th? You have a venue or not? Totally curious :)

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Let me explain it this way:  We woke up one beautiful morning to hear that Jack Kent Cooke, the late owner of the Washington Redskins football team, was planning to build a huge new stadium less than one half mile from our house.  Shock!  Sales of homes in our neighborhood ground to a halt!  Who wants to live next to a football stadium?
    Mr. Cooke had contracted with many landowners nearby and bought up property cheap.  All this was contingent on getting a zoning  changed.  For the next year and a half, our neighborhood (my DH included) battled it out with the county zoning commission.  We were told it was going through because Mr. Cooke was a billionaire and could make it happen.
    The zoning commission turned it down.  All the landowners who thought they had sold their properties were told their contracts were null and void.  Houses started selling again.  The stadium was built elsewhere, and destroyed a different neighborhood - a neighborhood of public housing and high crime.  Those schools are closed and the apartments and shopping centers are now gone.  We were all on the news the night the zoning board made its decision.
    It ain't over 'til it's over.  Your wedding may be fine.  Good luck.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It sold...hope the OP secured another venue

A Wauwatosa hotel that will be converted into housing for Chinese students attending Milwaukee-area private high schools has been sold for $2.7 million.

Wisconsin International Academy Inc. is converting the Days Inn hotel, at 11811 W. Blue Mound Road, and its restaurant and banquet center into the Wisconsin International Center.

The for-profit academy bought the 127-room hotel from Greenfield-based Wauwatosa Hotel Group LLC, according to state real estate records posted Friday. Wauwatosa Hotel Group is led by David Mallak.

The planned facility, including housing for up to 200 students, a dining hall, study areas, a basketball court and an outdoor recreational area, has been approved by city officials.

The academy will use buses to transport students to Pius XI, Dominican, Martin Luther, Catholic Memorial and St. Thomas More high schools. The Wauwatosa site is centrally located to those schools, which are in Milwaukee, Whitefish Bay, Greendale, Waukesha and St.Francis.

There are now 90 academy students living in hotel rooms leased at a Days Inn at 5485 N. Port Washington Road, in Glendale.

The academy expects to have 150 students by the start of the 2014-'15 school year, said Matt Gibson, academy principal. The Wauwatosa facility will house 20 to 30 students for a summer program.

The Days Inn, its Bluemound Gardens restaurant and banquet center closed earlier this week, Gibson said. Construction work is expected to begin in May, he said.

The academy initially planned to buy the 162-room Milwaukee River Hilton, 4700 N. Port Washington Road, Glendale, for $8 million and convert it into housing for up to 324 students.

That was rejected in September by the Glendale Common Council, whose members said they were concerned about losing hotel room tax revenue. They also said the Hilton and its Anchorage restaurant are major destinations.

An investors group has since agreed to buy the Hilton and convert it into a Holiday Inn.

• CMGragain said:
    Let me explain it this way:  We woke up one beautiful morning to hear that Jack Kent Cooke, the late owner of the Washington Redskins football team, was planning to build a huge new stadium less than one half mile from our house.  Shock!  Sales of homes in our neighborhood ground to a halt!  Who wants to live next to a football stadium?
    Mr. Cooke had contracted with many landowners nearby and bought up property cheap.  All this was contingent on getting a zoning  changed.  For the next year and a half, our neighborhood (my DH included) battled it out with the county zoning commission.  We were told it was going through because Mr. Cooke was a billionaire and could make it happen.
    The zoning commission turned it down.  All the landowners who thought they had sold their properties were told their contracts were null and void.  Houses started selling again.  The stadium was built elsewhere, and destroyed a different neighborhood - a neighborhood of public housing and high crime.  Those schools are closed and the apartments and shopping centers are now gone.  We were all on the news the night the zoning board made its decision.
    It ain't over 'til it's over.  Your wedding may be fine.  Good luck.

Re: bolded-- You've clearly never seen the area surrounding Lambeau Field! Go Pack Go!
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @heatherkat Heck ya! Go pack go! I would love to live near Lambeau!
  • @heatherkat Heck ya! Go pack go! I would love to live near Lambeau!
    IDK ..as much as I love my Seahawks...you couldn't pay me anything to live in SODO
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards