Snarky Brides

Vendor peeves

I'm in the throes of the planning process, looking for venues, vendors, etc and I have a few peeves I'd like to bitch about. 

Cheesy music. What makes you think that the key to get brides to come running is by putting cheesy (or any) music on your site?

Not listing prices. Sometimes when I'm filling out a form and they want to know my budget right off the bat, I feel like it's a sure thing that their prices depend on "well, how much money do you have? I'll take it all, thanks". Or I send an email inquiring only to find that it's way out of my budget. If you just listed at least some estimate of your damn prices I wouldn't have wasted your time. Now I feel like a jerk. 

Nickel and diming, especially from venues. So I'm already paying to rent the room but you also want $250 for a dance floor that I'm obviously going to want, and it's otherwise sitting in a closet somewhere? Same for basic linens that would be sitting on their tables anyway on any given day. I can understand charging more for specific colors, but come on. It always seems like it's the places that have the highest rental fees that do all this, too, while the places that just have a minimum just include it all for the most part. Same with chair rentals- I had a company that was $3/chair, okay that's reasonable enough, but then they told me it could cost up to $300 to deliver them like one mile away, and another $100 to set them up. Uhhh...

So yeah. What's making you want to punch vendors in the face lately?

Re: Vendor peeves

• YES to the not listing prices thing! While I understand that prices can vary based on a number of variables, it'd sure be nice to get an idea. There'd be nothing wrong with posting prices and adding "*Prices vary. Contact for an exact estimate." It's a waste of their time and ours if they're completely out of our budget but we have to contact them to realize that.

Another thing that pisses me off is when something is changed. Our venue has this gorgeous blue steel bridge that we were super excited about for photos. A few weeks after we paid, we found out the flooring of the bridge is rotting & it's no longer accessible. I realize this isn't their fault & isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but when we asked them if it was going to be repaired they said they aren't sure yet, which is annoying. If something changes in the time since our payment, it should be fixed. It's not like our wedding was a week later!
  • edited February 2014
    As it turned out, I only went to visit venues that were very forthcoming with wedding package information. It's either right on their site, or the manager e-mailed me a brochure right away. No weird estimates--- just "it's x per head and these are your package options".  Perfect.  

I was very annoyed with vendors that never even responded to the general inquiry form on their website. Like.... you want clients right? I'm trying to give you money if only you'd let me! That's part of the reason I ended up with the photographer that I did- she was one of two photographers that actually had a sense of customer service from the dozen that I sent inquiries to. 

This was my biggest pet peeve. One venue we really wanted is one my mom reached out to when she thought a brunch wedding would still be an option. When we met the coordinator and got their menus for various times, I mentioned that my mom had received a much lower quote.  Apparently, brunch in the exact same space costs wildly different amounts based on what's "just brunch" and what's a "wedding".  Boo to that!!  As it turned out, we couldn't afford an evening wedding there at all. Waste of time. (But I'd still highly recommend the place to anyone who could afford it.)

ETA spelling

• edited February 2014

Agree on asking our budget up front.  I never provided that to anyone. On websites, I filled in 0 or in conversation, I'd reply 'well let's not get ahead of ourselves' with a smile. That info is shared on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know! (applies to others besides vendors)

Also, we recently learned that there's a new head chef at our venue.  One of the reasons we chose it was for the award winning chef and the aMAZing food.  I'm sure the new guy is good too, but will have to see at the tasting.  Annoyed that I have to worry about that now...

• My biggest pet peeve while planning was having to wait for vendors to email me back. I get that they're busy and that my wedding was not the most important thing on their plate. But if I have to wait longer than 24 hours to hear back from you I'm going to get cranky.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'll give them a pass on timing this winter, since my office has been closed multiple days.

My new pet peeve is this: DJ (other vendors could too I guess) lists my city as an area they serve. Then they have a $250 upcharge for traveling there. Okay, well if that was going to be a problem why didn't you ask me up front where I was located?

Also, DJs who don't have any kind of videos or samples. It's easy to have pictures of people having fun that you grabbed off the internet. I want to know what you're actually going to play and how you're going to act.
    eyeroll
  • I agree with the upfront prices. We chose our Photographer and DJ just for those reasons. I had met the DJ first then went to a bridal show to price out other DJs. While there they based their prices on scribbles on a brochure instead of a price sheet the original DJ had. I told the DJ when we hired him that was the reason. As for the venue, prices were online but I was also able to negotiate down. Only because each quote was different from one to the other. They even got the balance on the contract wrong and I had to correct them.
  • "Also, DJs who don't have any kind of videos or samples. It's easy to have pictures of people having fun that you grabbed off the internet. I want to know what you're actually going to play and how you're going to act."

This.  We avoided hiring a DJ that we would have hated by listening to his "signature wedding mix" first.  Ugh. It was the worst. We ultimately hired a DJ that I heard while out one night.

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    chibiyui said:
    Bad website design. Its 2014, have a fucking professional looking website.
    Seriously, I have been going to so many that have broken links, are hard to navigate, take forever to load, etc. 

OR no website at all, like a rental company I just tried to search for. WTF. It's not hard nor expensive to set up a site. At least get a damn facebook page. It will bring you in so much more business and save you so much time over fielding phone calls that are like "soooo, what do you do?". 

13 year old kids make facebook pages and blogs. You can, too. 

Today was the epitome of annoyance. I went to look at a possible venue and I had to pry for pricing info, which then turned out to be way more than I expected, and then I pried some more to figure out hidden wedding costs and lo and behold they nickle and dime you to death too. It was like pulling teeth. Are there really that many people out there that look at vendors and don't care at all how much stuff costs?
  • I really like my venue, and one of the biggest reasons I liked it was because they were super up front and honest with what everything would cost, and everything (minus obvious extras, like delivering stuff to rooms) was included in the quoted price.  Plus, the woman had been married twice and was talking about how annoyed she would get when there would be a separate charge for every. little. thing.  I also liked that she sent us an excel sheet that we could play around with to figure out costs our guest list expanded quite a bit AND was really responsive when I sent her things, even if it was to say, "Hi! I got your e-mail, I have some surprise meetings, but I will get back to you with your answer by tomorrow at X time."

Finding an officiant has been annoying.  Most of the ones recommended by my venue don't have websites- which *really* bothers me.  Like PPs said, at least have a Facebook page so that I can have a general idea about the type of person you are before I talk to you!

While I'm complaining, I have to add.. I HATE when salons don't have pictures of their work.  I'm probably going to do my own makeup (I worked at a makeup store for a bit, and people end up making me look strange) but I'm entertaining the idea of providing my Mom, FMIL, and BMs with the service if they want (I'm going to be selfish and not do other people's makeup, this is probably the only time I'm pulling the "my day" card).  And I don't want to have them look like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show!  AND I don't only want to see portfolios that only have people with long, flowing locks.  My hair is short, and I want to make sure that you can make short, superfine hair that hates holding a style look good, dammit!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had looked at a DJ that had a very professional looking website. But when we visited them to talk about pricing etc... he had his 4 boys there (11-17) and informed us that they were part of his crew and came with the package.

Um... No. I don't want kids at my wedding anyway. Why would I want some random vendors 11 year old there?

I get that kids are often more tec savvy than their parents, but seriously? No thanks.
  • We had looked at a DJ that had a very professional looking website. But when we visited them to talk about pricing etc... he had his 4 boys there (11-17) and informed us that they were part of his crew and came with the package.

Um... No. I don't want kids at my wedding anyway. Why would I want some random vendors 11 year old there?

I get that kids are often more tec savvy than their parents, but seriously? No thanks.

Wow, our caterers cater ou of their home, but they don't have a package deal with their kids a dauchshunds.

Though I'd be okay with the dauchshunds

Anniversary
  • I have not started planning yet because my wedding is Dec. of 2014, but my mom got excited about a specific venue and emailed them to ask about how it works and all that. My mom and I both receive constant emails and postcards and we told them it's still two years away and we won't be interested in a long time. The coordinator my mom talked to won't let it go! Like damn, lady, we just asked how the venue worked. 

I guess I'll be thankful when I run across a hermit vendor you guys seem to find. lol
  • FiancB said:
    chibiyui said:
    Bad website design. Its 2014, have a fucking professional looking website.
    Seriously, I have been going to so many that have broken links, are hard to navigate, take forever to load, etc. 

OR no website at all, like a rental company I just tried to search for. WTF. It's not hard nor expensive to set up a site. At least get a damn facebook page. It will bring you in so much more business and save you so much time over fielding phone calls that are like "soooo, what do you do?". 

13 year old kids make facebook pages and blogs. You can, too. 

Today was the epitome of annoyance. I went to look at a possible venue and I had to pry for pricing info, which then turned out to be way more than I expected, and then I pried some more to figure out hidden wedding costs and lo and behold they nickle and dime you to death too. It was like pulling teeth. Are there really that many people out there that look at vendors and don't care at all how much stuff costs?
    Quite honestly? Yes, I think there are. At least, I think that based on the number of brides who post on these boards about 'hidden costs' and 'unexpected costs' and use that as an excuse for why they can't properly host their guests.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • After reading these posts, I'm so glad that all of my vendors have been timely, listed all their prices online (except the venue, but we already knew a ballpark figure), and gave us proposals and contracts with everything outlined completely. I'd be a wreck if I had to hunt people down for that stuff!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I don't understand why it is so difficult to just email me back? I want to hire you, the least they could do is try to get business. And when you eventually do email me back, use proper grammar. A vendor emailed me back with no capitalization and used "u" instead of "you." I am not going to hire someone that has below elementary school spelling skills. Sorry. I am very tempted to email her back with spelling and grammar edits. 
    Anniversary

• I would so be done with anyone that uses text speak or insists on bringing their kids! WTF that's so unprofessional. 

Oh I forgot one from the place I saw today. They have an additional charge for insurance. Whaaaa? I haven't heard of a place doing that before. I would think that a busy major event center that does weddings and other alcohol events would carry their own, but apparently their business model is to pass that cost on to the consumer. $300!

That's on top of a $700 rental fee for the reception hall, $500 for their (fairly lame) ceremony area, $200 for a dance floor, paying for security, paying for bartenders, and this in no way includes any decorations, nor is anything waived if you hit a food minimum. So total of $1675 just in fees. 

I realize that's not that expensive in some areas, but it is here. It really irks me to be charged so much for stuff that's just laying around anyway. The insurance thing really got me, especially for a venue that hosts hockey games and stuff like that with booze all the time. 
  • FiancB said:
    I would so be done with anyone that uses text speak or insists on bringing their kids! WTF that's so unprofessional. 

Oh I forgot one from the place I saw today. They have an additional charge for insurance. Whaaaa? I haven't heard of a place doing that before. I would think that a busy major event center that does weddings and other alcohol events would carry their own, but apparently their business model is to pass that cost on to the consumer. $300!

That's on top of a $700 rental fee for the reception hall, $500 for their (fairly lame) ceremony area, $200 for a dance floor, paying for security, paying for bartenders, and this in no way includes any decorations, nor is anything waived if you hit a food minimum. So total of $1675 just in fees. 

I realize that's not that expensive in some areas, but it is here. It really irks me to be charged so much for stuff that's just laying around anyway. The insurance thing really got me, especially for a venue that hosts hockey games and stuff like that with booze all the time. 
    My venue is a historic site, not really a typically wedding venue, and you have to bring your own insurance. Luckily, my parents' homeowners insurance will cover it. I would be a bit surprised if a place that was specifically just a banquet hall didn't have their own insurance though. Maybe you can see if you or a family member's homeowners insurance will cover it too?

I keep forgetting, we do have to pay extra for the security guards too. Luckily though it's not too exorbitant, and we were able to choose our own caterer and can stock our own bar and the rental fee is really reasonable, so overall I think it's worth it.

My biggest peeve is with photographers who have set packages and won't just list the prices on their websites. Probably because they know their fees are insanely high.

I also found a couple of really popular places, like bakeries and florists, that wouldn't make consultation appointments with me when I wanted to. I was about 7 months out calling them, and they would tell me they would only "pencil in" my wedding date and then call me for a consultation/tasting 3-4 months before at which time I could pay a deposit. Which, um, no. Firstly, my mom wanted to help with planning and lives 3 hours away and is only here a certain week and that's when I want to do consultation appointments--why can't you accommodate that? It's not like I was planning two years out either. Secondly, why would I decide to book you without ever visiting your shop or tasting your cake? I mean, really. Rude. So I pretty much only booked with vendors who would actually meet with me when I was available.
  • The pricing thing really bugs me too.  We ended up postponing our wedding last year and have decided to move it closer to home so (lucky us) we get to do all of this legwork again.  I hate the words "Contact Us For Pricing."  It makes me feel like they're being dishonest, sneaky, and are going to randomly quote me a different price than someone else.  I get that packages are usually able to be customized and all, but give me a friggin' ballpark so I don't waste both of our time!
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Speaking of websites being vague or out of date.....our venue is part of a corporation so the webpage for their particular location was very limited and most links you would select brought you to specifics for the corporation as a whole. In addition, there were very few pictures of the site, none of which gave a true likeness of the ceremony/reception spaces and surrounding patio area. When I called the guy was very nice and extremely accommodating, and we proceeded to communicate further via email. After being disappointed by our preferred venue and the treatment we were given by the manager there, I was very happy with how I was treated, and eager to fall in love with this prospective venue. So eager that I actually spent hours searching the internet for pictures of the venue and its wedding spaces. Eventually I found two photographers who had photographed weddings there and samples of several photos displaying just how gorgeous the space was. No wonder the guy told me they didn't book as many weddings there as they would expect.....no one can find any pictures so they would just breeze right past their website in favor of one with more pictures!!! Even the pictures he showed us during our first meeting (the only marketing materials they possess, aside from package outlines) were nowhere near close to giving an accurate impression of the location in its entirety. SMH!
  • The venue we picked has lounge furniture inside. Huge white couches, tables, etc. which we of course would love t have for our reception. To the tune of $6,000. Really? Nope. So now, they get to remove it from the venue instead of just letting us use it when we are already spending 15k there. Jerks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Speaking of websites being vague or out of date.....our venue is part of a corporation so the webpage for their particular location was very limited and most links you would select brought you to specifics for the corporation as a whole. In addition, there were very few pictures of the site, none of which gave a true likeness of the ceremony/reception spaces and surrounding patio area. When I called the guy was very nice and extremely accommodating, and we proceeded to communicate further via email. After being disappointed by our preferred venue and the treatment we were given by the manager there, I was very happy with how I was treated, and eager to fall in love with this prospective venue. So eager that I actually spent hours searching the internet for pictures of the venue and its wedding spaces. Eventually I found two photographers who had photographed weddings there and samples of several photos displaying just how gorgeous the space was. No wonder the guy told me they didn't book as many weddings there as they would expect.....no one can find any pictures so they would just breeze right past their website in favor of one with more pictures!!! Even the pictures he showed us during our first meeting (the only marketing materials they possess, aside from package outlines) were nowhere near close to giving an accurate impression of the location in its entirety. SMH!
    How about bad quality pictures of food? That is one thing that you just cannot make look decent without good lighting and a little know-how. Great way to make your catering look like cans of dog food.
  • @tcnoble - That's insane! I don't understand how a full service venue can charge extra for things that are there when you tour (and not specifically brought in for another wedding). Its like saying, here's the venue...but if you want standard tables and chairs, here's the price. As if you would want a full service venue without those things?
  • Ugh our rental company has the most awful website ever. It has links to supposedly show swatches of everything and there is...nothing.
    Broken links galore. It's ridiculous.

I also agree about not listing prices online. I hate that crap. Just be upfront with prices, even a range!
  • I was so irritated with the Safeway floral department when I was at my parents place at Christmas. I went in to ask questions for the wedding we're having next year. She had to be called up to the customer service desk. No big, I understand being busy. So she comes up to the desk, the rep says "this lady needs some assistance with wedding flowers" to which she says, "I don't have time for this, come back some other time!" Like, WTF???? I told her I couldn't, as I was flying home the next day. So she did spend a couple minutes of her VALUABLE time answering questions in a snotty tone, and then told me that they probably wouldn't be doing flowers next year, because no one was as good as she was, and she was probably doing something else. Well, good. I'm not using you now anyway. Not only that, you've also lost the business of my mom, all her sorority sisters, and most everyone else my parents know. Great idea on her part, eh? What really got me was that she had no idea whether she'd be looking at a $100 order, or a $10,000 order. Crazy! and apologies for my ipad's lack of paragraphs...:(
  • natswild said:
    I was so irritated with the Safeway floral department when I was at my parents place at Christmas. I went in to ask questions for the wedding we're having next year. She had to be called up to the customer service desk. No big, I understand being busy. So she comes up to the desk, the rep says "this lady needs some assistance with wedding flowers" to which she says, "I don't have time for this, come back some other time!" Like, WTF???? I told her I couldn't, as I was flying home the next day. So she did spend a couple minutes of her VALUABLE time answering questions in a snotty tone, and then told me that they probably wouldn't be doing flowers next year, because no one was as good as she was, and she was probably doing something else. Well, good. I'm not using you now anyway. Not only that, you've also lost the business of my mom, all her sorority sisters, and most everyone else my parents know. Great idea on her part, eh? What really got me was that she had no idea whether she'd be looking at a $100 order, or a $10,000 order. Crazy! and apologies for my ipad's lack of paragraphs...:(
    I love it when people like this show their true colors. I am happy to buy from someone else. No skin off my nose!
    eyeroll
  • Vendors who never answer - like PP's have said - you really don't want my money? I had one venue I called and e-mailed and never heard a word from.

I had one venue where the coordinator kept pushing a Friday wedding on us. It was like "we really didn't ask for Friday and no, no thanks." And then she'd name dates - that were FRIDAY's. It was like - for the love of god - NO. 

The lack of a way to find officiants. And then their lack of websites if you do find them. 

Ugh - I also went to a florists website that was linked from a bridal show website...and they didn't have anything listed for weddings! They had every occasion you could think of listed - but no mention of weddings at all on their site!
  • ^I told a venue that they were out of my budget, even Fridays. they just sent me an email saying "Thursdays are the new Fridays!" uhhh no thanks. I'll sign up for a Saturday wedding at a much cheaper venue since I actually want people to show up. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards