Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Morning/Afternoon Wedding Advice

So we have decided to do morning/afternoon wedding and I'm having a hard time figuring out what is a good time to start the ceremony. The ceremony and reception are being held in the same place so we will go straight from the ceremony to the reception. We will be having a picnic style BBQ reception. I don't want to start too early due to getting ready and giving time for people to fly in that morning if need be. I also don't want to start too late because I don't want people to be starving by the time we get to eat. Any suggestions would be great! :-)

Re: Morning/Afternoon Wedding Advice

• 4 or 4:30 ceremony start time would give guests an early start to dinner at the reception. Just make sure you feed them properly for the dinner hour.

image   image   image

• 11:00 AM is a good starting time for a morning ceremony.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • How long is your ceremony? 11 am is the earliest I'd start things, but if your ceremony is short, you could push it to 12 noon or even 1 pm.
  • My ceremony is starting at 2:30pm. Cocktail hour 3-4 and dinner starts basically right at 4. It's early but we aren't "party til midnight" type of people. And people won'tbe starving because they'll know to eat lunch before coming. Even starting at 2:30, the hairdressers made my appointment at 9am so I wouldn't want go much earlier than that. (we are doing first look/ all photos beforehand so hair must be done by 12:30)

• We had an 11:00 am ceremony and our timeline went like this...

6:30 Hair and Make-up at the venue (we were late due to a massive snow storm)
    8:00 Parents and Bridal Party get dressed (we were still running late)
    9:00 First look/family pictures (didn't happen until 10:00, we pushed the family pictures back until after the ceremony)
    10:30 Guest arrival
    11:00 Ceremony (we started a few minutes late to wait on a few guests that we knew were a few miles away)
    11:30-12:30 Cocktail Hour/Pictures
    12:30-1:00 Reception Events (first dance, Parent Dances, cake cutting, blessing)
    1:00-1:50 Lunch service (plated)
    1:50: Group Photo of all guests
    2:00: Anniversary Dance
    2:00-4:00 Party time!

It was a catch-22 with the weather.  The snow made for beautiful pictures but it did cause us to run long on hair and make-up (my hair stylist was late too).  Other than that the schedule would have worked for us.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • We had a 10:30 ceremony followed by a lunch reception that ended at 2:00.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thank you so much for your replies! I think I'm going to go ahead and push it back until 1230 so that we can have time to do the first look photos. I think our guests should be eating by 130pm. Hopefully they won't be too unhappy with a late lunch.
  • Yeah, if you are going to do photos first, later would probably be better. We considered doing them, but with the earlier ceremony, that would have been too hard.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards