Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Knots

As an alternative to candles or sand we were thinking about doing tying a knot.  Questions:
What type of rope should we use?
What type of knot would you suggest?
Would it okay to get the rope in one of our wedding colors?
What do we do with the rope immediately after the tying the knot ceremony?

Re: Knots

• @ccvasquez

1. Something easily tie-able
    2. A simple overhand knot
    3. I think that would be fine
    4. Lay it on the altar or something?

• I would do a square (Reef) knot, it is the strongest knot and looks the nicest.

as for Rope, go to a climbing store and have a look as to what colours, sizes and shapes they have.

Why do you want to tie a knot, what are you going to do with it after the fact? Mount it on the wall?

If the only reason you want to do this is just because you are "tying the knot" that's a really dumb idea.

Or if you want get the whole wedding party involved and do the "Betty Martin knotting drill" you march around with ropes to music and you make a knot, it looks really cool when done right.

• What an awesome idea! I dont really have much to contribute to the discussion, but this is a really sweet and different idea. Best of luck :)
  • Thanks hlvonb. 
    The chapel is small and I did not think about having a spot on the altar.  I'll check with my pastor.  We are also having communion, so there must be something to hold the elements. 

mimiphin, thanks for the idea.  I'll have to look it up to see how to do it, then we'll have to practice doing it.  Had not thought about going to a climbing store to see the types of ropes, so we'll be making that trip soon.  We are hoping to display it on our home after the wedding. 

We are not just trying a knot because we are "tying the knot".  We have debated over the symbolism and significance of candle lighting.  First, I hate that I have so many restrictions on the type of candles allowed.  Second, I object to how it is done in the church today.  Each set of parents light up one candle, which becomes the candles for he bride and groom.  They then light a separate candle.  The individual candles are snuffed out.  Therein lies my discomfort in saying that we as individuals must cease to exist to become something else.  I object to sand simply because it would be messy and I'd like to keep the chapel clean and in good order.

cosmo102, I think there should be videos on you tube about knots and how to do them.  I will be checking this out as we decide which knot to use.  Thanks for the encouragement.  This will definitely be a little different and unexpected from our families.  This is definitely something we can claim as our own!  We have a lot of traditional elements including music, readings, and communion that will satisfy the Catholics, Baptist, and Evangelicals in our families.
  • ccvasquez said:
    Thanks hlvonb. 
    The chapel is small and I did not think about having a spot on the altar.  I'll check with my pastor.  We are also having communion, so there must be something to hold the elements. 

mimiphin, thanks for the idea.  I'll have to look it up to see how to do it, then we'll have to practice doing it.  Had not thought about going to a climbing store to see the types of ropes, so we'll be making that trip soon.  We are hoping to display it on our home after the wedding. 

We are not just trying a knot because we are "tying the knot".  We have debated over the symbolism and significance of candle lighting.  First, I hate that I have so many restrictions on the type of candles allowed.  Second, I object to how it is done in the church today.  Each set of parents light up one candle, which becomes the candles for he bride and groom.  They then light a separate candle.  The individual candles are snuffed out.  Therein lies my discomfort in saying that we as individuals must cease to exist to become something else.  I object to sand simply because it would be messy and I'd like to keep the chapel clean and in good order.

cosmo102, I think there should be videos on you tube about knots and how to do them.  I will be checking this out as we decide which knot to use.  Thanks for the encouragement.  This will definitely be a little different and unexpected from our families.  This is definitely something we can claim as our own!  We have a lot of traditional elements including music, readings, and communion that will satisfy the Catholics, Baptist, and Evangelicals in our families.
    There is a good chance you will not be allowed to place it on the alter.  We were married in a military chapel (so non-denominational) and we were not permitted to place anything on the alter.   Maybe you could hand it off to a member of the wedding party to carry out for you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards