Just Engaged and Proposals

Where did you find your vendors?

What are the most popular ways/sites to find wedding vendors and venues? How do I know from their website/social media that I can trust a vendor?

Thanks! I'm just really worried I will get taken advantage of by this industry...

Emily

Re: Where did you find your vendors?

• There is no way to know 100 percent. We ended up changing venues b/c the manager of ours was shady and ended up under investigation for embezzlement. The best thing you can do is go and talk to or at least contact them and see what kind of vibe you get. Do they return calls? Answer questions or dance around them? Post on your local board (or look at posts) for vendor reviews. That's how I found my florist, alterations place and string trio. You can also internet search for reviews on them. Good luck and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I found my vendors though a combo of online searching, friend recommendations and wedding shows. Like @AddieL73 says though, there is no sure way of knowing. But through questions and references really help. Good luck!

Anniversary
  • ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    We found all of our vendors through friends and family recommendations.
    Anniversary

• We found our photographer through a sponsored post on the website A Practical Wedding.

We found our caterer and florist by putting our venues in Google maps and using the "search nearby" function for "pig roast" and "florist," and then checking their website and online reviews. Both of them turned out to be fabulous!

Our venue was a family home, and our rental company was one that my father-in-law uses regularly.

I Googled the name of every vendor before booking them to look through any online reviews for negative feedback. Also, we met with the photographer and florist before booking. We could tell right away that each was excellent at her job and understood exactly what we wanted. So gut feeling is essential, too. Especially for photographers, who will be around A LOT on your wedding day.
  • I first looked at the vendors listed in The Knot/Wedding Channel (knowing that this is not a full list) and marked the ones that were of interest.

I then looked on my local boards and did a search for "photographer reviews" "venue  recommendations" etc.

If I couldn't find something that suited my budget/vision I then went to Google.  :)
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • We haven't booked any vendors yet (we're still about 13 months out), but we've definitely been on the hunt to see what "strikes our fancy", so to speak. Fortunately for us, I have a family member who works at a facility with a beautiful outdoor pavilion area by the lake, and his boss was happy to let us use it for our reception... for FREE! :)

As far as food, flowers, and those sort of things, FI and I plan on visiting local flower shops and restaurants that advertise catering. That way, we can see (and taste!) exactly what they can do and how it's going to fit into our budget.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards