Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

80% chance of rain...

So right now the weather forecast says there is an 80% chance of rain on the wedding day.  While it's disappointing to think about how I may not be getting married in the gardens, but rather in a conference room - I could get married to FI in a bathroom stall and still be married so I'm just going to make the best of it.

The only thing is that I really kept my decor to a minimum because I had been planning on being surrounded by flower beds.  I have rose petals for the sides of the aisle and 2 floral arrangements.  Do you think I should do more to decorate since it will probably now take place in a boring conference room?

I probably wont even notice the decor while I'm walking down the aisle... but I don't know.  I think this whole weather thing is just messing with my head.  I don't think I can do anymore floral since it's so last minute, but are there any good ideas for anything else?

Re: 80% chance of rain...

• You have a great attitude!  Do you know if it's supposed to rain all day or just part of the day?  If it's only part, you may still luck out.  I've been to 3 weddings in the last 2 years on rainy days, but only 1 had to be moved indoors - the other 2 the skies cleared up before ceremony time.  Maybe you could ask your contact at the venue what other people have done to decorate the indoor site for suggestions?  They might have pictures that could help you figure out some back-up ideas.
  • Unfortunately my venue requires me to make a decision 24 hours before the ceremony - so I can't make a last minute decision.

It says showers all day - so it may be raining during my 15 minute ceremony or it could not.

I do not want my guests sitting in the rain so if the day before it says it will be raining I will just have it in the conference room.  sigh.
  • Do you have room in your budget? Could you add some babies breath or hydragenas? They are big and relatively inexpensive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    Do you have room in your budget? Could you add some babies breath or hydragenas? They are big and relatively inexpensive.
    I could certainly ask my florist... but I'm not sure if she could make a change with only a week to go?
  • That's too bad you have to make the decision the day before.  I guess it makes sense so they know where to set everything up, especially if you have a large guest list, though.

I like Kat's suggestion.  I would definitely call your florist and ask.  She's probably not going to turn down more money from you unless it's too late to get the flowers she needs in time.
  • I thought about looking on Pinterest... but I'm nervous to even go there so close to my wedding.  
  • antoto said:
    KatWAG said:
    Do you have room in your budget? Could you add some babies breath or hydragenas? They are big and relatively inexpensive.
    I could certainly ask my florist... but I'm not sure if she could make a change with only a week to go?
    As a former florist you most likely can make some changes/add things a week out.  Typically florists can get, and sometimes do, get flowers in every day.  If you want to add some things they can just call up their wholesalers and the flowers will be there the next day (that is if what you want isn't hard to get or a weird color).

What did you have already planned for your ceremony area outside?

• I think you'll have enough as planned. The ceremony doesn't last long and people are looking at what is going on, not the decorations. Now, go buy a big, bright umbrella and some rain boots, and make your weather into a fun photo-op!
    oooo... cute!  

Yeah... I probably have enough... My brain is just spazzing out right now.  Gah.
  • antoto said:
    KatWAG said:
    As a former florist you most likely can make some changes/add things a week out.  Typically florists can get, and sometimes do, get flowers in every day.  If you want to add some things they can just call up their wholesalers and the flowers will be there the next day (that is if what you want isn't hard to get or a weird color).

What did you have already planned for your ceremony area outside?
    I am using only white flowers and so far have orchids, peonies, hydrangeas, and roses - so white roses are pretty darn easy to get a hold of.  I'm just not sure what to ask for.  I am so not familiar with floral stuff.  Should I do more arrangements?  I...don't know?

For outside I had only planned on white rose petals for the aisle and two large arrangements with the flowers I mentioned above.
  • Can you add a basic aisle runner and some white candles. Maybe put the candles in votives (if candles are allowed, or use flameless candles) and place them at the entrance of each row of chairs?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    Can you add a basic aisle runner and some white candles. Maybe put the candles in votives (if candles are allowed, or use flameless candles) and place them at the entrance of each row of chairs?
    Oh hey that's a good idea.  Maybe cover the place in candles (I'll see if they allow real candles, I'm almost positive they do) and then have them dim the lights.
  • antoto said:
    I had a friend who did this when it poured on her wedding day. She has such darling pictures of her holding up her dress and jumping over a puddle. Plus you can use the rainboots again!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • antoto said:
    KatWAG said:
    Can you add a basic aisle runner and some white candles. Maybe put the candles in votives (if candles are allowed, or use flameless candles) and place them at the entrance of each row of chairs?
    Oh hey that's a good idea.  Maybe cover the place in candles (I'll see if they allow real candles, I'm almost positive they do) and then have them dim the lights.
    Yay! Places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels are great places to get a bunch of cheap candles. You could to a variety of sizes. I think it would look amazing!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think candles are a great idea!
  • I third (or fourth) candles.  

• Yay candles!

And just for anyone else reading this who might benefit - saveoncrafts.com is AWESOME for discounted votives and holders.
  • A friend of mine went to a nursery and got container gardens and hanging baskets to decorate with.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I think a simple aisle runner of petals or end-of-pew decorations are great! If you do not have a floral arrangement that's large for the altar area, maybe arrange something with all the candles? Much less inexpensive and can get them on a dime! If you're religious, find a cross that's a decent size and wrap it with ribbons or set it among candles on a table of some sort.. [Don't do this with a crucifix though.. don't want to be sacrilegious :-) ]

image   image   image

• I love the boots and umbrella idea. If the weather clears for a few minutes, you'll get some great outdoor photos.  Since the ceremony is short, I wouldn't spend a lot on decor. The two floral arrangements will be fine. Candles will be a nice touch on rainy day. 

I have sat through a few outdoor ceremonies in foul weather. It wasn't pleasant. It's nice that you're taking your guests' comfort into consideration. Have a beautiful day!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards