Wedding Reception Forum

Chair cover dilemma!

Okay girls. I need your advice! The chairs offered at my reception venue are u-g-l-y. They are those standard frumpy white chair covers and I am not a big fan of those. I was considering buying the spandex chair covers but I'm not sure how its going to look all put together. I'm having purple satin tablecloths with gold chargers. I already purchased these so there's no going back. The only colors the spandex chair covers come in are white, black, and ivory. Do you guys think ivory would be okay? Sashes or no sashes? The only picture I found online that kind of gives me an idea is pictured below. Maybe I am over thinking it but I think white chairs clash so much with the table setting I had in mind. Every time I look up purple and gold wedding photos, EVERYONE has chiavari chairs :( I can't justify renting chairs at 7 bucks a pop. It looks waaaay nicer but I'm on a tight budget. What are your opinions? Thoughts on how to blend the chairs in more? Or should I cut my budget on something else and splurge on the chiavari chairs? Thanks!

Re: Chair cover dilemma!

• I promise you, no one will notice or care anything about the chairs unless they don't have one. Save your money.
  • I promise you, no one will notice or care anything about the chairs unless they don't have one. Save your money.
    This.  And how on earth would white clash with purple and gold?

• I agree that it is absolutely not a big deal, but if it's really bothering you just go with the ivory, or you could tie it in with a gold sash. Personally we are doing purple overlays on top of white floor-length tablecloths and sticking with the white chair covers provided because I figured out a way to tie them that I like. Our accent color is silver and not gold, but i think it looks good.
  • Are you paying extra for the chair covers? Are they really that much cheaper than the chivari chairs? If you're going to go with white, I'd just go with whatever white chair covers are included. If you're going with the spandex covers, I'd go with black, and maybe a purple or gold sash. 
  • Okay girls. I need your advice! The chairs offered at my reception venue are u-g-l-y. They are those standard frumpy white chair covers and I am not a big fan of those. I was considering buying the spandex chair covers but I'm not sure how its going to look all put together. I'm having purple satin tablecloths with gold chargers. I already purchased these so there's no going back. The only colors the spandex chair covers come in are white, black, and ivory. Do you guys think ivory would be okay? Sashes or no sashes? The only picture I found online that kind of gives me an idea is pictured below. Maybe I am over thinking it but I think white chairs clash so much with the table setting I had in mind. Every time I look up purple and gold wedding photos, EVERYONE has chiavari chairs :( I can't justify renting chairs at 7 bucks a pop. It looks waaaay nicer but I'm on a tight budget. What are your opinions? Thoughts on how to blend the chairs in more? Or should I cut my budget on something else and splurge on the chiavari chairs? Thanks!

Don't sacrifice your budget for something so trivial as chairs.  None of your guests are going to care what the chairs look like, so don't waste your time, energy, or money worrying about it.

Use what the venue is already providing.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Ooooi think black would look nice with purple and gold if you're really set on spending extra for chair covers. Have you thought about the satin self tie covers? I think they're cheaper to buy than the spandex ones and they don't need sashes.
  • The venue has regular metal frame banquet chairs with orange pads. They offer to rent the traditional white polyester covers at a rate of $2.50/ea. I found the spandex ones online to buy for $2.79 so obviously it makes more sense to buy then sell them down the road.

I never even considered black - hmmm that might work. And for the record, chairs really aren't that trivial when you want to achieve a certain look. If they were that trivial, there wouldn't be hundreds of linen companies producing covers :)
  • when I consider what to spend money on, I think about all the weddings I've been to and see if it's something I ever noticed.  I can't tell you what any chair has ever looked at from any wedding I have ever been to.   Men will drape coats over the back's of chairs covering half of them anyway. 
  • I don't even know what the chairs at my reception looked like. They were brown, but I couldn't pick them out of a lineup. Nobody notices chairs.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Totally agree with the PP - the wedding industry is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. The chair covers - just another platform for the pawns in their game. Spend the money on something you'll actually remember and cherish. 
  • There are hundreds of companies producing lots of shit nobody needs. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I was going to spend $8 a chair renting chiavari chairs for my reception cos my venue has ugly brown chairs. Luckily I took the advice of PP and saved the money. Its true, NOBODY notices the chairs. My compromise was buying 2nd hand sashes off ebay in our wedding colours.

I think you should stick with the white!

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• For the umpteenth time, no one, and I mean no one, cares what the chairs look like. Hell, I was in a wedding a couple of years ago that had those metal folding chairs that looked like they had been through a war and the only reason I remember is because I was a bridesmaidslave and had to help set everything up. No one cared.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I honestly think chair covers are tacky.  I've never been to a wedding with them.  As long as the chairs are clean, in good repair, and the most uncomfortable thing ever, no one is going to give a second thought to them.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I think either white or ivory chair covers would look nice.  I do not agree with some of the ladies that say 'no one notices or cares', because I certainly notice and care.  
    ETA chairs that I think cheapen the look of reception spaces:
  • wabanziwabanzi member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    The venue has regular metal frame banquet chairs with orange pads. They offer to rent the traditional white polyester covers at a rate of $2.50/ea. I found the spandex ones online to buy for $2.79 so obviously it makes more sense to buy then sell them down the road.

I never even considered black - hmmm that might work. And for the record, chairs really aren't that trivial when you want to achieve a certain look. If they were that trivial, there wouldn't be hundreds of linen companies producing covers :)
    OP-one thing to consider is the cost of putting the covers on in terms of time and money.  Does that $2.50 per chair include setting them up?  If you purchase the covers, the venue will still charge to put them on (or you will need to do yourself if they let you).  Just be sure to add in the set up cost if you purchase your own.  

Now I am one of those people who notice things and yes I would notice the chairs.  But when on a tight budget, this shouldn't be a top priority.  It seems like the chairs (without covers) are perfectly acceptable and will blend right into your space/decor.  The orange pads will not be seen because either the chair will be tucked in under the table or have a person sitting in it.  

Now as a design issue, if this is important to your look, then definitely get the spandex ones to avoid ironing issues, for easier set up, and easier to sit on for your guests.  Champagne would blend with your gold/purple color scheme.  But, before you purchase, try just a gold or purple band/tie on the chair back with the chair tucked in and see how it looks. You might be surprised what a little pop of color can do.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The venue has regular metal frame banquet chairs with orange pads. They offer to rent the traditional white polyester covers at a rate of $2.50/ea. I found the spandex ones online to buy for $2.79 so obviously it makes more sense to buy then sell them down the road.

They are totally trivial when you are on a budget and not worth wasting money on at the expense of more important things at the reception- like food and bar options.  I'm not saying this is what you are doing, OP.

They are trivial because the reception is not really about some grand vision but a thank you for your guests, and while everyone wants their reception to look a certain way, your guests will not give a rat's ass what your chairs look like as long as they have enough to eat and drink and have fun.

They are trivial because the chairs won't be prominently featured in any of your wedding photos, and even if some sneak into the background of a few of the shots, you won't necessarily be being and printing every photo taken on your wedding day.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Ven&Radio said:
    I honestly think chair covers are tacky.  I've never been to a wedding with them.  As long as the chairs are clean, in good repair, and the most uncomfortable thing ever, no one is going to give a second thought to them.
    While I don't think they are tacky, they are a freaking tripping hazard!  Every reception I have been to that had them, they were not fitted correctly and were too long and kept getting caught underneath our chairs and heels.

And that's the only reason I ever remember them being present at a reception- because we kept tripping on them and they were annoying, not because they were pretty!

• Ven&Radio said:
    I honestly think chair covers are tacky.  I've never been to a wedding with them.  As long as the chairs are clean, in good repair, and the most uncomfortable thing ever, no one is going to give a second thought to them.
    While I don't think they are tacky, they are a freaking tripping hazard!  Every reception I have been to that had them, they were not fitted correctly and were too long and kept getting caught underneath our chairs and heels.

And that's the only reason I ever remember them being present at a reception- because we kept tripping on them and they were annoying, not because they were pretty!
    This. The last wedding I was at, every time I tried to get up the covers got caught and I had to keep straightening it because my butt dislodged the cover.

Perhaps, like a PP said, try just the tie for color and see how it looks. If you must go with covers, try the spandex so they're not sloppy and annoying for your guests. I think that unless covers fit perfectly, they are worse (tackier) than non-matching old chairs. 

• OP, I completely understand. And personally, I disagree with the others here. In pictures, or in person, I always notice the chairs. It's fine if they are a simple wood chair that blends. But banquet chairs with random colored fabric (or goodness forbid folding metal ones) are what draws my eye--especially if people pay for nice table décor. Why go to all the trouble of making the table look nice only to ignore the chairs? At my wedding, my décor photos of the room will be taken before guests arrive so I can have the complete look for my albums. There's a reason on all those shows that they show the bride and groom the room before people come in-it's because we like seeing the entire design before beer bottles, dirty plates, and everything else cover the tables. You can tell I'm more of a design person :  ) In the end, though, do what makes you happy. Our opinions shouldn't shame you into doing something one way or another.
  • OP, I completely understand. And personally, I disagree with the others here. In pictures, or in person, I always notice the chairs. It's fine if they are a simple wood chair that blends. But banquet chairs with random colored fabric (or goodness forbid folding metal ones) are what draws my eye--especially if people pay for nice table décor. Why go to all the trouble of making the table look nice only to ignore the chairs? At my wedding, my décor photos of the room will be taken before guests arrive so I can have the complete look for my albums. There's a reason on all those shows that they show the bride and groom the room before people come in-it's because we like seeing the entire design before beer bottles, dirty plates, and everything else cover the tables. You can tell I'm more of a design person :  ) In the end, though, do what makes you happy. Our opinions shouldn't shame you into doing something one way or another.
    Because I can see the table at all times, I cannot see chairs once people have their butts in them.  And because I put my butt on a chair, I never put my butt on a table. 

• I agree with PP's who are saying not to spend the money on chairs.  I will not be decorating chairs at my wedding (they are plain black like picture 2 posted above by doeydo.  Also - I kinda like the chairs in photo #3, to be honest!).  However, I really don't like the look of chair covers at all.  And it just doesn't seem worth the cost to rent nice chairs.

If you truly are dead-set on decorating your chairs, I would choose the ivory covers.  I do understand what you mean about white and purple "clashing".  It's not that they can't go together, but the white and purple is more of a harsh contrast/more of a bold look.  I think that the ivory and purple are more soft together, and I think that the ivory will look nice with the gold chargers.
  • We invested in chiavari chairs. They are more expensive depending on where you are located. We paid $4.25/chair. People notice chairs. They remember how comfortable they were, if they were easy to maneuver and if they were tripping on them. If you're planning on spending the money I would recommend the chiavari or the spandex covers. The spandex covers are a pain to get on... especially if you're doing it yourself-on your wedding eve or day! Your guests will remember your chairs. As for being a victim of the overpriced wedding industry-well, we're all online trying to make our weddings gorgeous and perfect for us! Everyone buys into it at some point! Don't make more work for yourself!
  • We invested in chiavari chairs. They are more expensive depending on where you are located. We paid $4.25/chair. People notice chairs. They remember how comfortable they were, if they were easy to maneuver and if they were tripping on them. If you're planning on spending the money I would recommend the chiavari or the spandex covers. The spandex covers are a pain to get on... especially if you're doing it yourself-on your wedding eve or day! Your guests will remember your chairs. As for being a victim of the overpriced wedding industry-well, we're all online trying to make our weddings gorgeous and perfect for us! Everyone buys into it at some point! Don't make more work for yourself!
    Except for all the guests who don't remember the chairs at the weddings they've attended, like several people have testified to here.

• Viczaesar said:
    We invested in chiavari chairs. They are more expensive depending on where you are located. We paid $4.25/chair. People notice chairs. They remember how comfortable they were, if they were easy to maneuver and if they were tripping on them. If you're planning on spending the money I would recommend the chiavari or the spandex covers. The spandex covers are a pain to get on... especially if you're doing it yourself-on your wedding eve or day! Your guests will remember your chairs. As for being a victim of the overpriced wedding industry-well, we're all online trying to make our weddings gorgeous and perfect for us! Everyone buys into it at some point! Don't make more work for yourself!
    Except for all the guests who don't remember the chairs at the weddings they've attended, like several people have testified to here.
    Yup.  I don't remember one thing about any chair at any wedding I have attended except if I had one to sit in or not.  Guests do not remember chairs.  They remember the food, the music and the booze.

• I am one of those weird folks who remembers chairs. I despise chair covers. However, and this is more like a giant HOWEVER, in no way would I sacrifice your tight budget for the chiavari chairs.  The venue realizes their chairs are ugly and gave you a cover, that is better than a lot of venues do.  I don't see much difference between the spandex and classic chair cover, just pick the one that is free and save your money.  Personally, I budgeted for chiavari chairs and they ended up being included with my venue but if I were on a tight budget, I would never ever ever pick chairs over something else that is more important like food, dress, flowers, cake, something that IS a focal point at the wedding.  I make up maybe 1% of your wedding guests that notices chairs and I can tell you that I would much prefer better food than a chiavari chair. 
    Of the 30 weddings I have attended to date, I cannot begin to describe what a single chair looked like.  And that includes the chairs at the wedding I was just in last October.

If you want to blow money on chairs, go for it.  But don't do it at the expense of proper hosting- as in don't switch to a cash bar to save money in the budget for stupid chairs, and don't use "Guests remember chairs" as a justification.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards