Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Lost at where to start

I am recently engaged as of december. I have my dress, our date and venue, photographer, but I am getting pretty overwhelmed about planning a wedding. I am on the east coast, my bridemaids are in chicago and london, and my family in texas. I feel like I dont know how to do this without help but feel a wedding planner would be expensive. 

Any ideas on how to realistically manage this?

Re: Lost at where to start

• We were in a similar situation (no family, overwhelmed, wedding planner not financially feasible for us, etc…) so we bought a wedding planning book and it's working! We bought The Knot Wedding Planning Binder - it's good because it includes lists of questions to ask possible vendors (some of which I wouldn't have thought of) as well as a list of things to do each month leading up to the wedding so you don't forget things (although of course you'll probably end up forgetting stuff). Each Saturday we sit with the binder and figure out what, if anything, we want/have to get done the following week and decide who's going to do it/whether we'll do it together. 

We realized that managing the finances was a big part of planning the wedding so we wrote a detailed budget on excel (includes "budgeted", "spent", and "left to spend" columns). We're paying for the wedding ourselves so to make it clear "where the money was coming from" we both dedicate a certain amount to the wedding each pay, he transfers his part to me, and I pay all the wedding-related bills. If he's dealing with the vendor himself, he just uses my debit card so that it's all coming from one place. To make sure we're sticking to the budget (it's pretty tight), we keep all receipts and put the info in the spreadsheet. We're early in planning so I don't know if it will work, but a friend suggested this to me after how well it worked for her and her husband.

One more thing - you could invite your friends and family to pinterest boards if you want to include them in "coming up with the vision". You obviously can't expect them to be as interested in flowers as you are, but one or two of them may end up participating.
  • Check out A Practical Wedding, both the blog and the book. The book is easier as a step-by-step guide, but there's tons of useful info on the website too, especially in the How To section.
  • emmyg65 said:
    Check out A Practical Wedding, both the blog and the book. The book is easier as a step-by-step guide, but there's tons of useful info on the website too, especially in the How To section.
    Just checked this out - it's amazing! I wish I had found this before I bought the binder (at the same time, it's nice to sit with it and I love it when my fiance takes it out lol)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards