Wedding Etiquette Forum

In lieu of gift wording... (not asking for cash)

I am looking for good wording to put on an insert with my invitation that says we don't want gifts but instead we want words of wisdom, or wedding/marriage joke, or quote, or something like that so that I can scrapbook it & have them forever! 

I just don't know how to have it worded so it doesn't look bad & I don't have a super long insert, just blabbing on & on

Thanks for your help :) 

Re: In lieu of gift wording... (not asking for cash)

• Ditto PPs. You don't mention gifts on wedding invitations.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I wouldn't put anything like that on the invitation. I would endorse putting a request for words of wisdom on the back of your RSVP cards that people can fill out if they want, but no mention of gifts.
  • Ditto PPs- nothing in invitations.  I had put out advice cards when i hosted my sister's bridal shower, you and your FI are free to do this at your wedding.
  • I am looking for good wording to put on an insert with my invitation that says we don't want gifts but instead we want words of wisdom, or wedding/marriage joke, or quote, or something like that so that I can scrapbook it & have them forever! 

I just don't know how to have it worded so it doesn't look bad & I don't have a super long insert, just blabbing on & on

There's no appropriate wording for anything about gifts because it is rude to write anything about gifts.

You never bring up gifts to yourself, not even to say you don't want them.  

If people ask you where you are registered or what you would like, you then tell them that you don't want any physical gifts and mention the words of wisdom.  
  • Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    I am looking for good wording to put on an insert with my invitation that says we don't want gifts but instead we want words of wisdom, or wedding/marriage joke, or quote, or something like that so that I can scrapbook it & have them forever! 

Stuck it the box. :(  It's not appropriate to mention gifts or make requests on your invitation, but perhaps your Words of Wisdom could be a guest book alternative.

ETA: My cousins did this for a baby shower. We hung little words of advice for the little one or wishes we has for her on a little metal tree that was hung in the entrance to the home. It was very sweet. Even my nine year-old cousin had a contribution.
  • As long as you just leave out the part about not wanting gifts, and say nothing about "in lieu of gifts", then a little insert saying "we would cherish any words of wisdom, jokes, quotes or insights about marriage that you might wish to give us" is no worse than all the other multifarious inserts that populate wedding invitations nowadays. It's short and to the point, and people will get you their mementos in different forms which will keep your scrapbook interesting
  • 312Emily312Emily member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    As PPs have said, it's rude for invitations to mention "in lieu of gifts..."

But this advice/joke concept might make an awesome guestbook-type thing, and then you wouldn't even have to have it ready until the week of your wedding.
  • Agree with all the posters about the "in lieu of gifts" language being bad.  

I did want to suggest that a friend put a "knock knock" post card at each seat at the reception.  The post cards were addressed to the couple's home address and stamped, and guests were encouraged to take them home, write a joke, and mail them after the wedding.  It was pretty cute.  
  • Any mention of gifts in an invitation, including "in lieu of gifts," is rude.

If guests ask you about gift preferences, you can ask for words of wisdom by word of mouth.  But you cannot pre-empt the gifting process by stating your preferences unsolicited.
  • At my cousins wedding instead of a guest book they had a mail box and baskets of assorted post cards. A sign asked guests to write a note to the couple. you could do something like that but ask for words of wisdom, etc.
  • As other have said I think it's rude to say in lieu of gifts, can you turn that idea though into a a guest book type thing where at the reception people put into a jar- advice, words of widsom ect. ( I'm sure there is some creative way to do this but it's too early in the morning to be creative right now...)

Anniversary

• I would put paper & pens at each table at the reception & then while you are thanking everyone for coming you can let them know what it is for (or you can put little signs on the table) and then to make sure you get them, see if a staff member from your venue can go around an collect them for you. If you go this route, let your venue know so they can let their staff know so they know not to throw the pieces of paper away as they are cleaning off the tables during the night.

• I wouldn't put anything like that on the invitation. I would endorse putting a request for words of wisdom on the back of your RSVP cards that people can fill out if they want, but no mention of gifts.
    A friend of mine did something kinda like this, except on her RSVP cards she had a space where people could write in a song request. I thought that idea was brilliant. People are already writing on/filling out RSVP cards, so including a line or two where they could offer some well wishes/words of wisdom shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards