Chit Chat
Options

A 6 year old froze this morning

FI was pissed this morning. He's a HS teacher and this district superintendent is really weirdly resistant to late starts and closures. We live in the midwest and obviously we can't close every time it snows, but a lot of times every surrounding district is closed and ours isn't. They are pretty inconsistent too- earlier in the,year, there were tons of 2 hour late starts when it was -20. This morning it was -30 actual temp so about -40 with windchill, but school didn't close or delay today.

FI sent me a message to say that a quarter of his kids were missing due to buses being late, etc. The buses ended up being so delayed that a lot of kids were 2 hours late anyway. People at the college were also talking about seeing stalled out buses on the roads. And then he heard and texted me that a 6 year old girl was found dead in front of her apartment complex this morning with signs of exposure. She must have been waiting on a delayed bus. 

What. The. Fuck. Didn't anyone notice her??? There is no fucking way I would let a SIX year old stand around outside at 0, let alone -40. No idea exactly what happened but I'd imagine the parents left the house thinking she'd be picked up in the next few minutes, but you would think someone would've seen her and tried to get her inside or give her a blanket or call the cops or something. It doesn't take long to get frostbite in this kind of cold but I would still think it would take at least an hour to FREEZE TO DEATH. Damn. Everybody's just really in shock today. 

Re: A 6 year old froze this morning

• Options
    SenecafSenecaf member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
    edited February 2014
    Holy shit

Edit. I have a seven year old. I have so many things to say. I cannot wrap my mind around d this one. So tragic.
  • Options
    Seriously cannot wait to hear details about how this could happen.  I can only blame the parents/who ever was in charge of her.
  • Options
    Yeah, who knows maybe it had nothing to do with school and it was an abuse situation. They are supposed to be doing a press update right now. I can't think of a situation where this would happen otherwise- kid could've run away or something, but in this weather I would think police would be called immediately. Being a small and especially low income town, a 6 year old kid waiting by themselves isn't a huge surprise, but in this bad of weather it's definitely a wtf situation. 
  • Options
    Seriously cannot wait to hear details about how this could happen.  I can only blame the parents/who ever was in charge of her.

Yeah, maybe the school should have been on a delayed start, but this is on the parents/caregivers.  So sad...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    OMG. That is horrible!
  • Options
    Oh, my God. That's so terrible. I'm furious at the parents and the teachers and everyone else involved in this drama. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Oh, my God. That's so terrible. I'm furious at the parents and the teachers and everyone else involved in this drama. 

Out of curiosity, why the teachers?  They don't make the decision to delay/cancel classes, they don't run the buses, and they didn't send the child outside to wait for the bus alone without enough protection from the cold.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    SenecafSenecaf member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
    edited February 2014
    The school districts should cancel or delay when weather is that extreme. No parent shouldn't leave their child alone outside when it's freezing. I personally wouldn't leave a 6 year old alone outside anywhere.
  • Options
    So it turns out she was found at 6:30 this morning, so it's unlikely it had anything to do with school. Pretty much the only thing we can think of that isn't neglect is sleepwalking or wandering off for some reason. 
  • Options
    OMG. This is horrific.

• Options
    That's horrible! Poor girl!
  • Options
    This is the reason we never close.  -50, snow, sleet, blizzards.  Someone will always miss the announcement and send little Johnny to school (though I know you said it was probably too early for school now) and he will be stuck outside for 8 hours till parents come to get him at the end of the day.  The school has no control over bussing here though, but they try to work together.  It's a completely different company

• Options
    SlothGoalsSlothGoals member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2014
    Ditto @AprilH81, why the teachers @HisGirlFriday13?

ETA: typed a name wrong
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards