South Asian Weddings

Sari Draping

Is getting someone to dress you for the wedding day really necessary? I feel like any relative or aunty can help me put the sari on or maybe I just don't get it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Right now, I'm thinking of two separate people to do my hair and make up. I know some Indian ladies can do all 3 but I find them to be a lot more expensive then if I just did it separately.

If sari draping is necessary, does anyone have any suggestions for NJ?

Thanks!

Re: Sari Draping

• rv224rv224 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2012
    If you have a family member or friend who can do it, I would just go with that.
  • I'm just having one of my aunts drape my lenghas for me.
  • edited January 2012
    I hired someone to help with the sari draping. At first I asked a cousin, but she didn't feel comfortable enough ensuring that the bride's sari was draped perfectly. I appreciated her honesty and agreed that since all eyes are on the bride (and groom) that it had to be perfect.

That and I tend to be a perfectionist.

So I hired someone that my photographer recommended. I can PM you her details if you're interested. She did have a minimum charge that I had to meet, so I had her drape my sari, my mother's sari (my mom is so out of practice and I wanted to make sure she looked her best that day, too) as well as do my cousin and sister in law's hair.

In all, I had hired 3 different people to help me get ready that morning/day - my usual hair dresser, my makeup artist and the aunty that helped with the sari draping. It cost a ridiculous amount of money but I looked freakin' fantastic!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Yes, I plan on hiring someone to drape my sari, my mother's and sister's sari.  After all we don't wear saris frequently and feel uncomfortable trying to do it ourselves.  One less stress on that day.  The shop that I bought my sari said that they know someone who can do it for me.  I'll hire that person to be at the wedding and reception because I will be changing into a sari from a lengha.
  • thanks for the replies!! Raangoli, could you PM that information?? I'd really appreciate it!
  • Sure - you have mail!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Does anyone know where to get sari material from in the PA,NJ,DE area?
  • Hey rangoli can you send me that info too...i needed to find a good makeup artist and sair draper within NJ...thnk
  • Hi Raangoli, I also need a good sari draper in the NJ area, can you please send me that information as well?
  • rajsimrajsim member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Contact Simer Grewal from Dream Weddings by Simer and she can help you find amazing vendors within your budget.  She is great, very detail oriented and a perfectionist. She can work with your budget but still provide you an exclusive and elegant wedding experience.

Call :(216)502-5194
    E-mail:dreamweddingsbysimer@gmail.com

Her fee is reasonable and will not make a hole in your pocket.

Also check out her facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/DreamWeddingsBySimer

Enjoy!!! 
  • Here is some information for a sari/saree draper in NJ/NY area.  She only works with brides who have selected their bridal hair/makeup services, but still need draping services for the day of the event.  She provides bridal draping for the Bride and her Bridal Party including Mom.  Here is her blog:

http://sariwrapartistry.blogspot.com/
  • I'm a professional saree stylist from Dallas, TX. My clients love that the stress of draping for events is taken off of them and family members. It's great to have a professional come in that can drape in any style and also that none of the bridal party will doubt as far as making them look good. I drape brides, bridal parties, mothers even out of town guests from the groom's side, etc.

If you are from Dallas or attending a wedding in Dallas, please contact me if you need draping services at dianavarughese@yahoo.com.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_sari-draping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:b2983627-9a42-476b-91a1-e1e4d7fb5d14Post:3fe5f331-f3ff-42bd-873f-de1f75fb8fe7">Sari Draping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is getting someone to dress you for the wedding day really necessary? I feel like any relative or aunty can help me put the sari on or maybe I just don't get it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Right now, I'm thinking of two separate people to do my hair and make up. I know some Indian ladies can do all 3 but I find them to be a lot more expensive then if I just did it separately. If sari draping is necessary, does anyone have any suggestions for NJ? Thanks!
    Posted by jbhuta[/QUOTE]
  • Hi,

Does anyone know of a good professional saree draper in the Chicagoland area?

Thanks!
  • Hi,

Can someone please send me the info for the saree draper as well.

Thanks,

Sienna
  • Hi Raangoli, would you be able to message me the sari drapers information as well? Thanks!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_sari-draping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:b2983627-9a42-476b-91a1-e1e4d7fb5d14Post:5608ed0f-3cbe-4aaf-893f-6aa091422fbf">Re: Sari Draping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, Does anyone know of a good professional saree draper in the Chicagoland area? Thanks!
    Posted by ngupta84[/QUOTE]

I found this one online:
    <div><a href="http://mehendibyrajul.com/price_list.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><u><font color="#810081">http://mehendibyrajul.com/price_list.html</font></u></a>  Naperville IL</div>
  • Hi - could someone send me this information too? I can't seem to PM anyone :(
    thanks!
  • Dear Raangoli,  I know you posted this a couple of years ago, but was wondering if you still had the info for the sari draper in NJ.  Besides myself, I have seven bridesmaids, all of whom need help with putting on a sari for my wedding....and I have no idea where to start, so any help would be much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards