Chit Chat

Hot tub?

Does anybody have any experience with home hot tub spas?  We are thinking of buying one.  We have a concrete patio that would be the perfect spot, with a view of the Colorado National Monument. We are both 63, and I have body aches that would like the warm bubbles.  Any input?
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Hot tub?

• We just bought one this past fall.  It's a Bullfrog, and we really liked that we could buy and move around the jets to different seats.  I've got to run, but I'll try to answer any questions if you have them.  It is heavenly after a hard practice and my body definitely feels better after a quick soak

•  Hot tubs are definitely nice during the winter! I find I can't stay in more than 1/2 an hour or so, without feeling dizzy though in the summer when it's hot. (Which is common). They're definitely nice for relaxing, & if you think you'd use it lots, then I'd say go for it! Our house came with ours built into the deck, but I think if we'd had to buy one, it wouldn't have been worth it for us. On the other hand, my dad, & in-laws have them, and use them all of the time! I guess the question is, is the amount you're going to enjoy & use it, worth the cost of buying one, then paying the extra in electricity, and the upkeep of maintaining it for use. (chemicals, etc). It's not that I don't enjoy a hot tub, it's just wouldn't be something I'd go out of my way to purchase, because we don't use it enough. If it's worth it to you, (like it is for my dad, or my in-laws), then I'd say to go for it! 

*J
  • shoot I don't know exactly which one we have--well technically it is at my MILs house but she does not use it, only me and H really (we hope she just gives it to us but I think she keeps it as a way to have us come over, lol) but anyway in terms comfort they are amazing, especially in the winter!  We don't use it as much in the summer because it is so hot that usually as PP suggested on hot night being in the hot tub we would not last very long (too hot/dizzy), but in the fall/winter they are so nice.  Especially when we are sore there is nothing like the hot tub to relax and loosen the muscles.  I taught a dance class earlier this year for the first time in awhile and could not feel my legs by the time I got home--15 minutes in the hot tub I was so relaxed and was not sore the next day.  Sounds like it would be perfect in Colorado! Would kill for that view :)  And when I am sick there is nothing that makes me feel better & go to sleep than sitting in the hot tub for a few minutes before bed.  I have no advise on cost but I do know MIL usually turns it off in the summer when we are not using it to save on electricity.  And if there was ever a time in the summer we were having people over and wanted to use it, we would turn it on mid day and it would hot for the evening.   We want to get one at our house once we landscape the backyard.  Agree that if you use them, it is worth it--so I would just be sure you know you would like one before you invest in one.  My MIL never uses hers because the chemicals always gave her a skin rash I guess, so she stopped using it but kept it around for her kids to enjoy.

Anniversary
  • We had one in my basement growing up. It was so big my father actually cut the door to the basement open then had to rebuilt it, then built the drywall room around the hot tub haha. I live in New England and I absolutely LOVED it. I was in that thing almost daily in the winter and we kept it empty in the summer to save on energy costs. I preferred it being inside because I hate walking in the cold to get in and out and having your face be cold but I would still take one outdoors. Definitely felt great on my muscles after all my sporting events, I'm sure it would help soothe your body. 

• We had one as far back as I can remember when I was growing up. My dad has a really bad back. We had to replace the heating element a few times, and a hot tub can be a pain to clean when it needs it.  One thing to note- the hot tubs tend to have a safety cutoff temp, say 103 degrees. My dad had them disable that- he likes his jacuzzi around 108/110 degrees, nice and hot.
  • My parents used to have one and they both loved and hated it.  It was very relaxing, but it was a ton of upkeep and expenses (chemicals, servicing, extra electric, etc.) especially when they didn't use it as much as they thought they would.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Had one as a kid, it was a lot of fun for the few years we used it... then the family lost interest. I miss it now that I'm an adult. I got a quote for putting an in ground spa in when we redid the pool last year. Unfortunately, not worth it :(
  • we actually decided to get a hot tub instead of going to jamaica on a honeymoon :).
    We've been doing our research and hot tubs now are FAR more low maintenance than they used to be which is great!  We are in the process of landscaping our backyard and once that's done, we will decide which one we want.
  • I love hot tubs. That will probably be our next project right after the wedding. We're planning on putting one in the backyard. 
    My parents have a Thermospa and they love it. 
  • Thank you, ladies!  We are looking at Sundance and Caldera brands.  I want to buy locally, so I have a place to go to if there is a problem.  The two major dealers here carry these brands.  I am stiff and sore today, and would love to climb into one right now!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards