Wedding Etiquette Forum

I do NOT want kids at my wedding!!! Why isn't that okay?!

Re: I do NOT want kids at my wedding!!! Why isn't that okay?!

• I invited in circles. 

Only out of state/out of country kids are invited to our wedding. All the local kids are not included in invites. It' only 5 of them who are out of state/country. 

I am neutral about kids. I like interacting with them whenever I get a chance. I tend to have a potty mouth so I am not necessarily kid-friendly in that sense, but I like them.  
    I do think there are events that should be strictly adult-only - especially if there is alcohol present. 

I find statements like these kinda silly- well I find the logic silly, not the opinion.

Growing up, our families drank wine with dinner- still do.  It was never a big deal, no one ever got sloppy drunk at dinner or family gatherings, so I personally don't think that just because alcohol might be present, children shouldn't be.   That would mean that they couldn't attend sporting events, go to amusement parks, etc.
    Hey, I did say some events. 
    I come from a family who does get sloppy drunk. As kids we always understood that's how things were and I am pretty sure kids manage now too. I think what I said was more based on personal experience, as you mentioned. But I still stand by my point that kids shouldn't be at every event just because they can. 
     ETA: to highlight my response. Didn't post correctly.

I agree with this.  I just don't take the presence of alcohol to automatically mean an event isn't kid appropriate.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Nothing wrong with OP or any of the posters not liking kids at formal events but 1) I wonder what will happen when/if they become mothers....their children will be excluded from weddings..what kind of reaction these posters will give...and 2) this post belongs in the Snarky Brides Section. HaHa
    I don't care to have kids at this point in my life, but if I ever did and they weren't invited to an event it would not make me upset. I wouldn't take it personally.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• aleighc3 said:
    I think they someone should invent a cry room for people who complain about babies who cry in public...IMO....
    Why?

Do you really, honestly enjoy the sound of a child wailing and shrieking at the top of it's lungs for 10, 15, 20 minutes while you are trying to have a meal, shop, commute to work/home on public transportation, etc?  How about if you are stuck on a plane and have no where to go to get away from the sound?

I have experienced these things and the parents made no effort to soothe their child, and it was fucking obnoxious.  I got a terrible headache once from a young girl shrieking at at uncomfortable octave for the duration of a 45+ minute bus ride- we were stuck in traffic on a bridge and I couldn't get off.

I also would not enjoy if a random adult decided to scream at the top of his/her lungs without end.

Do I care if a child has a meltdown that ends as quickly as it began? No, shit happens, kids get upset.  But when kids are loud in public and their parents make no effort to soothe or quiet them, or remove them until they have calmed down, I find it rude and obnoxious on the parents' part.

stuck in the box

I totally agree with you on the whole parents not doing anything tho try and soothe their child or do anything. I have two boys, a 5 year old and a 16 month old. If they start getting cranky then most likely I will leave. My point is when you are in public places, riding public buses, eating in public restaurants (not super fancy ones) then there is a possibility that someone somewhere is going to annoy you or have a baby in your earshot.
  • Nothing wrong with OP or any of the posters not liking kids at formal events but 1) I wonder what will happen when/if they become mothers....their children will be excluded from weddings..what kind of reaction these posters will give...and 2) this post belongs in the Snarky Brides Section. HaHa
    I don't care to have kids at this point in my life, but if I ever did and they weren't invited to an event it would not make me upset. I wouldn't take it personally.
    Exactly!! Why the assumption that once you have a kid, you expect it to be invited to all sorts of events? 
    If my sons were not invited to a wedding with me and it was a local wedding then I would find a babysitter and not be bothered at all. I'm a stay at home mom and I don't get out too often, so with events like weddings I like to take that time to spend time with FH.
  • No one's said this yet: some of us just don't have much of a, if any, maternal instinct. I don't mind kids. Many of my friends have super cute kids. I just don't know how to interact with them or relate to them. I talk to babies the same way I talk to cats.They're like little aliens until maybe age 12. I'll probably have one kid in my future though.

We want to cut loose with gourmet food and good booze and dance all night at our wedding. Ergo, no kids, and our friends are looking forward to leaving their kids with Grandma and partying it up with us.

• You can definitely have a kid-free wedding. I hate kids, and I've been to too many weddings where they have screamed through the ceremony, been terrors during dinner/reception, etc. I know that a lot of that stems from poor parenting, but it doesn't lessen the impact on the day. Our friends have been awesome with our decision -- they're all excited to have a night out without the kids!

@doeydo- re: your comment "I don't think anyone said they hate kids..." Winnipeg writer did.

And you Loved her comment. Just sayin'.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is so much debate out there about this topic, but I think it has to do with your situation.  I was recently in a wedding where they didn't invite kids but that was very easy for them, the bride and groom were both the oldest in their generation, none of their sibling or cousins had children, and the few friends that did got babysitters.

I am in a very different situation.  I would prefer to not have kids at my wedding for various reasons, but it just wasn't realistic.  Both of us are the youngest in our generations, which means the majority of our cousins have kids, ranging between 6 months to 18 years old.  Also, between us we have 3 nieces and a nephew, all under 5 years old.  It would have been such a battle to not invite kids, and creating some sort of age limit (like 12 or 13) would have meant splitting siblings.  In the end we limited it to family children only to try to control it a little bit, and I am hoping everything will turn out ok.
  • Jen4948 said:
    By as an FYI: I agree it's perfectly acceptable to have kids and no kids at the wedding. 

This is more a matter of preference - if anything. 

@carynNchan, not cool to assume people will change their opinion once they become a mother. Some of the regs here have personally chosen not to have kids. Some have kids and understand when their kids have not been invited. No one has complained, but adjusted to the situation. They can either decline or accept and find a sitter. That's life. 
    @musikalbunni...i used "when/if"...which I acknowledge that some choose not to have kids at all.  I was talking about the regulars who plan on having children
    Even then they may not change their opinion.  Even those who "plan on" having children may not do so for whatever reason-including medical reasons.  And whether or not they do change their opinion is not up to you to decide.

Not everyone is going to become a parent-and even if they do, they do not automatically get some special status that allows them to condescend to those who do not.  There is no special status that allows a parent to condescend to a non-parent.
    I did not realize this was going to be quoted so much!! For the record...I understand that not everyone in the world has children due to either medical reasons or by choice.  I don't even have kids but when I do I know I won't be offended if my kids were not invited to a wedding, formal event, etc. ...I was just wondering how others would feel as well.  You'll be surprised how many hypocrites there are out there...and you're right...if they're hypocritical, I have no say....I was just putting it out there.
  • Jen4948 said:
    By as an FYI: I agree it's perfectly acceptable to have kids and no kids at the wedding. 

@carynNchan, not cool to assume people will change their opinion once they become a mother. Some of the regs here have personally chosen not to have kids. Some have kids and understand when their kids have not been invited. No one has complained, but adjusted to the situation. They can either decline or accept and find a sitter. That's life. 
    @musikalbunni...i used "when/if"...which I acknowledge that some choose not to have kids at all.  I was talking about the regulars who plan on having children
    Even then they may not change their opinion.  Even those who "plan on" having children may not do so for whatever reason-including medical reasons.  And whether or not they do change their opinion is not up to you to decide.

Not everyone is going to become a parent-and even if they do, they do not automatically get some special status that allows them to condescend to those who do not.  There is no special status that allows a parent to condescend to a non-parent.
    I did not realize this was going to be quoted so much!! For the record...I understand that not everyone in the world has children due to either medical reasons or by choice.  I don't even have kids but when I do I know I won't be offended if my kids were not invited to a wedding, formal event, etc. ...I was just wondering how others would feel as well.  You'll be surprised how many hypocrites there are out there...and you're right...if they're hypocritical, I have no say....I was just putting it out there.
    BTW - OP (who I haven't seen respond) - as you can see..it's totally fine not to have children at your wedding :)

As someone without children regardless of reason, I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing the phrase "you don't have kids do you" when I express the slightest annoyance of kids kicking fussing, or getting grossed out watching a kid very publicly doing something gross such as picking their nose and wiping their hands somewhere that other people touch or use. No I don't have kids but if/when I do I will teach them how to behave in public or remove them from a situation if they are acting inappropriately. My child will not be a spoiled speshal snowflake and I can certainly leave them with my mom or fmil or flat out miss an event if I need to if my child's not invited somewhere. Ok off my soapbox now.
  • Amyzen83 said:
    Nothing wrong with OP or any of the posters not liking kids at formal events but 1) I wonder what will happen when/if they become mothers....their children will be excluded from weddings..what kind of reaction these posters will give...and 2) this post belongs in the Snarky Brides Section. HaHa
    As someone without children regardless of reason, I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing the phrase "you don't have kids do you" when I express the slightest annoyance of kids kicking fussing, or getting grossed out watching a kid very publicly doing something gross such as picking their nose and wiping their hands somewhere that other people touch or use. No I don't have kids but if/when I do I will teach them how to behave in public or remove them from a situation if they are acting inappropriately. My child will not be a spoiled speshal snowflake and I can certainly leave them with my mom or fmil or flat out miss an event if I need to if my child's not invited somewhere. Ok off my soapbox now.
    Oh.

sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • I should add that if they are too young to be reasoned with or taught then I would heavily supervise them or miss the event if a family member can't watch him or her.
  • I really really really really hate when people roll up in these threads and use the "I do not like kids" or "I'm not maternal" excuse to not invite them to their wedding.

JUST DON'T INVITE THEM.

You will potentially alienate a close friend or family member.  It will happen.  But if you don't want kids at your speshul day, just don't invite them.  You don't have to justify why, just don't do it.

sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
    There are regular posters on here who HAVE children and understand that their kids aren't always included in everything.  

We plan on having children, I can't imagine ever being upset that our child wasn't invited somewhere.  We would either (a) find a babysitter or (b) not attend if we didn't want to leave our children.  Then again both FI and I grew up in households where it was not uncommon for children to be left out of things.  We intend to do the same with our children.  In our circle it's very common for people to attend events (even...gasp...out of town events and vacations!) without their children.  We intend to do the same.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • NYCBruin said:
    Nothing wrong with OP or any of the posters not liking kids at formal events but 1) I wonder what will happen when/if they become mothers....their children will be excluded from weddings..what kind of reaction these posters will give...and 2) this post belongs in the Snarky Brides Section. HaHa
    There are regular posters on here who HAVE children and understand that their kids aren't always included in everything.  

We plan on having children, I can't imagine ever being upset that our child wasn't invited somewhere.  We would either (a) find a babysitter or (b) not attend if we didn't want to leave our children.  Then again both FI and I grew up in households where it was not uncommon for children to be left out of things.  We intend to do the same with our children.  In our circle it's very common for people to attend events (even...gasp...out of town events and vacations!) without their children.  We intend to do the same.
    it is actually really healthy to have a life outside of your children. Centering your whole life around your children is unhealthy for you and your child. It teaches them to think the world revolves around them and you start to lose your individual identity. Empty-nest syndrome is much worse for people who didn't maintain healthy adult friendships and hobbies. At least that is what my parents taught me when they left for hawaii, new york, and Bali (and other places) without us. We did do plenty of activities together. My parents never missed a softball game (well one parent was always there), but they did have their own life too. My dad golfed and my mom played soccer. They went to concerts, weddings, movies, etc. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NYCBruin said:

it is actually really healthy to have a life outside of your children. Centering your whole life around your children is unhealthy for you and your child. It teaches them to think the world revolves around them and you start to lose your individual identity. Empty-nest syndrome is much worse for people who didn't maintain healthy adult friendships and hobbies. At least that is what my parents taught me when they left for hawaii, new york, and Bali (and other places) without us. We did do plenty of activities together. My parents never missed a softball game (well one parent was always there), but they did have their own life too. My dad golfed and my mom played soccer. They went to concerts, weddings, movies, etc. 
    Sounds like we had similar upbringings!  My parents went on trips without me fairly frequently and even more frequently attended events without me.  Of course my parents love and care about me, but they also had identities other than "mom" and "dad" which I think plays a large part in why I am close with my parents as an adult...I have always seen them as whole people and not just through their relationship with me.  FI and I hope to raise our children similarly.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • NYCBruin said:
    NYCBruin said:

Sounds like we had similar upbringings!  My parents went on trips without me fairly frequently and even more frequently attended events without me.  Of course my parents love and care about me, but they also had identities other than "mom" and "dad" which I think plays a large part in why I am close with my parents as an adult...I have always seen them as whole people and not just through their relationship with me.  FI and I hope to raise our children similarly.
    Yea, I never went through rebellion phase, so it was easy to transition into being close with my parents as an adult. They have always treated me as a little adult, so when I actually became an adult there wasn't much adjustment. I am away from home but text and talk to my parents a lot about random stuff, just like I would any of my friends. Fi adores my parents and we have talked about raising kids the same way. Balance is important in every part of your life, why would relationships between parents/children be any different?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Amyzen83 said:
    Some parenting classes teach that you should not remove the child from the situation because that teaches them that if they don't want to be somewhere they can just act up and they will get to leave.  I'm not saying I agree with that statement I'm just explaining why you might not see some parents jumping up to leave when their child is acting out.  Also, you can't always just leave.  For example if you are in a restaurant you have to pay the bill before you can leave so sometimes you have to wait a while.

Honestly, you do the best you can but no child is going to act perfectly every time they are in public, no matter how much you try to teach, reason, or supervise.   But if you don't take them out in public they will never learn.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948 said:

I wouldn't call it hypocritical. I would call it having a completely different perspective on life.  For one thing it is easy to say "just get a babysitter".  It's a different story when you are faced with trying to find one. Some people have more/better resources than others.

Personally I think children should be invited to weddings, especially if they are family members.  I've always felt this way, long before my son was born. I never even considered not inviting children to our wedding.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really really really really hate when people roll up in these threads and use the "I do not like kids" or "I'm not maternal" excuse to not invite them to their wedding.

JUST DON'T INVITE THEM.

You will potentially alienate a close friend or family member.  It will happen.  But if you don't want kids at your speshul day, just don't invite them.  You don't have to justify why, just don't do it.

I hate it when people think that not inviting children will be a cause to alienate a friend or family member. Why? ? Some events just aren't appropriate for them.

• I think it's perfectly okay to have no kids at your wedding. You can't have 'no kids' or 'adults only' on your invites, but if people RSVP their kids, just phone them and explain to them. I'm only having a very small number of kids at my wedding (three, I think) none of which are in the wedding party, but only because two of them are coming from different countries, and I can't ask them to leave their kids at home whilst they fly to a different country, or to bring their kids and leave them with a babysitter who can't speak the kids language. I think that's the only reason you would feel obliged to invite the kids. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    Amyzen83 said:
    Some parenting classes teach that you should not remove the child from the situation because that teaches them that if they don't want to be somewhere they can just act up and they will get to leave.  I'm not saying I agree with that statement I'm just explaining why you might not see some parents jumping up to leave when their child is acting out.  Also, you can't always just leave.  For example if you are in a restaurant you have to pay the bill before you can leave so sometimes you have to wait a while.

Honestly, you do the best you can but no child is going to act perfectly every time they are in public, no matter how much you try to teach, reason, or supervise.   But if you don't take them out in public they will never learn.  
    We reared 5 kids.  If they were raising a fuss in public and disturbing others, you can bet they were removed from the situation as quickly as possible.  What happened after that depended on the circumstances.  If I had a small child who was tired or not feeling well - that was my bad decision and I should have seen it coming - no consequences for the child  When they are tired or not feeling well you take them home and put them to bed.

When they were raising a fuss and disturbing others because it sounded like a good idea, you can bet the were removed quickly from that situation too.  And consequences followed.  If they were trying to get out of the situation they got a rude surprise - they were punished for their behavior.  There was no payoff for them once they got out of the situation.  They all learned pretty quickly that they needed to behave.

The one that comes to mind is when I went to Ohio to see my Dad (uncle who raised me).  I come from a family where kids were seen and not heard and DS was around 3.  We went to this little restaurant for lunch and DS was being a little poophead and would not listen.  He and I left immediately (minus his chicken nuggets, applesauce, and chocolate milk) and sat in the car til DH and Dad were finished with lunch. He was pretty hungry by dinner time.  I took him out because DH wasn't nearly as stern as me and I wanted DS to know that crap wouldn't fly.  I don't recall ever needing to remove him from that kind of situation again.
  • I think it's perfectly okay to have no kids at your wedding. You can't have 'no kids' or 'adults only' on your invites, but if people RSVP their kids, just phone them and explain to them. I'm only having a very small number of kids at my wedding (three, I think) none of which are in the wedding party, but only because two of them are coming from different countries, and I can't ask them to leave their kids at home whilst they fly to a different country, or to bring their kids and leave them with a babysitter who can't speak the kids language. I think that's the only reason you would feel obliged to invite the kids. 
    What about a child under the age of 1 who is breastfed?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    I think it's perfectly okay to have no kids at your wedding. You can't have 'no kids' or 'adults only' on your invites, but if people RSVP their kids, just phone them and explain to them. I'm only having a very small number of kids at my wedding (three, I think) none of which are in the wedding party, but only because two of them are coming from different countries, and I can't ask them to leave their kids at home whilst they fly to a different country, or to bring their kids and leave them with a babysitter who can't speak the kids language. I think that's the only reason you would feel obliged to invite the kids. 

I think that situation depends on where the mom is traveling from. I have a friend that will go to local events without her 8 month old breast feed son, but she pumps beforehand and leaves him with her in laws. If you are having an OOT wedding with no kids, some breast feeding moms may decline attending.

Anniversary
  • mysticl said:
    I think it's perfectly okay to have no kids at your wedding. You can't have 'no kids' or 'adults only' on your invites, but if people RSVP their kids, just phone them and explain to them. I'm only having a very small number of kids at my wedding (three, I think) none of which are in the wedding party, but only because two of them are coming from different countries, and I can't ask them to leave their kids at home whilst they fly to a different country, or to bring their kids and leave them with a babysitter who can't speak the kids language. I think that's the only reason you would feel obliged to invite the kids. 

Why does it have to be a child under 1? My 18 month old still breast feeds. But to answer the original question, IMO exceptions should be made for nursing babies but that doesn't mean it's an etiquette breach to not do so. If you are questioning certain kids I'd ask myself if having the parent not attend is better or worse than if they came with the baby. Comes down to personal preference really.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards