Moms and Maids

My Future Lovely MIL

Originally when I proposed to my fiance, we planned on having a courthouse wedding and maybe a dinner back my MIL's house with the good news. But, once we announced we were getting married my MIL got so excited and started asking a million questions about the reception and where the ceremony will be, and I realized that the wedding isn't really just about the couple. Its also about family and friends who want to celebrate these moments with you through this landmark in life.

After gently explaining to my MIL we were going to have to put off the wedding due to some financial difficulties she said she understood. After dinner she came to me and put her hands to my face then kissed my check, and whispered in my ear, "I'll pay for your reception." I looked at her befuddled finding myself at a loss of words. She took my hands in hers then smiled and said, "It really is okay."

So, this wonderful woman has not only warmly welcomed me into her family but now she is going to generously pay for a modest reception I could not have afford on my own. She has shown nothing but kindness to me and has slowly become the mother I never had growing up. She is always offering to lend a hand in planning the wedding and will do just about anything to make sure the wedding goes smoothly. 

In response to all her overwhelming kindness and support, I wanted to get her a special gift that shows how grateful we are for everything that she has done. I am already getting a special corsage for her at the wedding and plan to give a short speech thanking her making this wedding possible. I'm wondering what are some good gift ideas for such a special lady? And is it inappropriate giving a gift to a MIL?

Re: My Future Lovely MIL

• perdonami said:
    Originally when I proposed to my fiance, we planned on having a courthouse wedding and maybe a dinner back my MIL's house with the good news. But, once we announced we were getting married my MIL got so excited and started asking a million questions about the reception and where the ceremony will be, and I realized that the wedding isn't really just about the couple. Its also about family and friends who want to celebrate these moments with you through this landmark in life.

After gently explaining to my MIL we were going to have to put off the wedding due to some financial difficulties she said she understood. After dinner she came to me and put her hands to my face then kissed my check, and whispered in my ear, "I'll pay for your reception." I looked at her befuddled finding myself at a loss of words. She took my hands in hers then smiled and said, "It really is okay."

So, this wonderful woman has not only warmly welcomed me into her family but now she is going to generously pay for a modest reception I could not have afford on my own. She has shown nothing but kindness to me and has slowly become the mother I never had growing up. She is always offering to lend a hand in planning the wedding and will do just about anything to make sure the wedding goes smoothly. 

In response to all her overwhelming kindness and support, I wanted to get her a special gift that shows how grateful we are for everything that she has done. I am already getting a special corsage for her at the wedding and plan to give a short speech thanking her making this wedding possible. I'm wondering what are some good gift ideas for such a special lady? And is it inappropriate giving a gift to a MIL?
    I think what you have planned is fine. Otherwise maybe get her a nice bottle of wine (if she likes wine) to give her a the rehearsal dinner.
  • Awww. I would also write her a heartfelt letter of thanks. What a sweet woman.
  • That was SO not what I was expecting when I opened this thread -- what a refreshing change! 

You have a lovely FMIL, and congrats. I ditto PPs on the idea of writing her a heart-felt letter, and giving her a lovely gift.

You could even wait until after the wedding and give her a photo album of your photos. LivingSocial and Groupon frequently have really good deals on make-your-own photo albums at Picaboo or Shutterfly.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Oh wow...that's a beautiful story and a wonderful change from nasty FMILs.  Giving her a lovely gift is a wonderful idea and totally appropriate.

I agree with the heartfelt letter suggestion.  As for a nice gift, what are her interests?  I'd get her something tailored to her specific interests that fits in your budget.
  • Agree with PP... loved reading this.  Thank you for posting something so positive.  Heartfelt letter is awesome, and since it clearly means so much to her perhaps even a print of you both with her from the wedding.  Or even before the wedding some sort of small gift/ card with poem that has a "the mom I married" type quote on it.  I've seen a lot of these that are super sappy but really sweet about how you know that someone made him the man you love and that someone was her... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • your MIL sounds wonderful.  I am so happy you have someone so supportive and caring.  On wedding day we gave our moms a nice card with a personal note and then after the wedding we made them small photo books of wedding pictures.  "The mom I married" quote is very sweet as PP suggested.  you know your MIL best, so if there is anything personal you know she would enjoy that would be nice too. 

Anniversary
  • Delightful!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I am fortunate to be the mother-in-law to two amazing women and about to become a mil again in July to again another wonderful woman. I too was so touched by your story. I have actively been involved in all three weddings of my sons and feel so grateful. 
    A heartfelt, hand-written letter to your mil will mean more than anything you could give her. It sounds like she feels she is getting the gift-someone who loves her son. From a mom of three sons I can tell you that I feel I won the lottery with each of my daughter-in-laws. No other gift necessary. Best wishes to you and may you have a lifetime of happiness!
  • @lillious I will take your advice and write her a heartfelt letter and I think I will give her a picture of us framed together. I am so grateful how warmly she has accepted me into her family. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards