Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How does my alcohol plan sound

I'm having a decent sized wedding, probably 210 people, at least 150 drinkers. Our venue is BYO so my fiance and I are trying to work out what to buy right now. Our caterer gave us an awesome list that we're working from that has quantities of alcohol for 50 people. 

One thing that makes our wedding unique is that in my fiance's culture, they don't do bars... they do bottle service. They put a bottle of high end vodka and whiskey on every table, plus a bottle of red wine and coke to mix. The caterer told us to figure 1.5 bottles per table. Now, my side of the family doesn't do things this way and I'm not sure what to expect in terms of number of bottles to buy. The thought is to maybe purchase 1 bottle per table and place all the bottles on the tables. Then the waiters can ask the non Armenians at the wedding if they'd like to keep the bottles or use the bar. If they opt for bar, the bottles can be put in the reserves for the bar/other tables. We'd buy more for the bar in addition to the table drinks.

Now, in order to keep costs down as much as we can when providing high quality bottles on every table, we're discussing doing a fairly selective bar with signature drinks that utilize a few types of alcohol. Also, since it's a spring wedding, I'm liking the idea of utilizing seasonable fruit to highlight the fresh, romantic feel of the wedding. And for the record- I'm aware that fresh fruit goes against the saving money idea.

Here's my signature drink ideas:

Raspberry Lemon Martini
31/2 raspberries
1 1/2 oz lemonade
1 1/2 oz cranberry juice
1 oz simple syrup (one part sugar, one part water)
11/2 ozs vodka (Premium citrus)

Grapefruit Margarita
3 ozs tequila
2 ozs orange liqueur
2 ozs lime juice (fresh-squeezed, ~2 limes)
6 ozs grapefruit juice (fresh-squeezed Texas, 1 grapefruit)
simple syrup (to taste, optional)
salt (for rim, optional)
grapefruit (wedges, for serving, optional)

Strawberry Mojito 
1/4 cup mint leaves (fresh, not packed)
2 limes (cut in quarters)
1/4 cup white sugar
1 liter club soda
white rum (as much as you want)
11/2 cups ice
6 strawberries (riped, or and other fresh fruit)

So then for alcohol we would provide at the bar: vodka, tequila, rum and whiskey + wine, champagne and beer

Mixers: triple sec, lime juice, lemonade, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, orange juice, simple syrup, grenadine, vermouth, plus maybe a sour?

Additional: mint, raspberries, strawberries, limes 

Does this sound extensive enough for a fairly formal wedding reception? Also, should we have fun naming the drinks or is keeping it simple the better approach?

Thanks 

Re: How does my alcohol plan sound

• i think what you have is fine. i am half armenian and i have never heard of the bottles at the table. i have a cousin who's almost full Armenian  and even at her wedding there was no booze at her tables just open bar.

i think you should put the bottles on all the tables regardless if they are non armenian or not you could have something on your wedding website if you have on explaning its an Armenian custom to have bottles on the tables. i dont think anyone would get offended if no one drinks the bottles or opens them you could have servers come by and ask if the party would like to still drink them or remove them.

you could make some fun names out of the drinks what about doing something with pomagranates its a fruit that is grown in armenia lots of drinks you can make with it

could you get the fruit from like a costco sams or bjs in bulk to cut some costs,.

my venue does not allow any bottle service on tables as they cant control how many people drink and with a bar its more manageable to do.

we do plan on having some traditional Armenian music/ dancing at the wedding,
    when my brother got married the Armenian music came on and all of my dads side of the family ( not Armenians and my sister in laws family got up and danced my mom was in a state of shock.

• I think you can eliminate one of those signature drinks. Three fruity signature drinks isn't necessary.
  • I think you can eliminate one of those signature drinks. Three fruity signature drinks isn't necessary.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I would also just put the bottles on all the tables.  My DH is not Armenian but he knows what to do with a bottle of high end vodka.  Actually, you better put 2 bottles at his table if you want other guests at the table to have any  :-) 

Are you having any sodas?   I know more people who drink liquor with club soda, tonic, coke, diet or sprite then the sugary juices you have listed. 

Other than those comments your list looks find.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Hyechica- I've never been to an Armenian wedding without bottles on the table. I asked my fiance if it was a Parskahye thing and he said no. So not sure what's up there. But it's normal to the point that my guests will find it rude or cheap if bottles are not on the table. 

I did think about doing something with pomegranate, but they aren't in season and juice is so expensive that I'm hesitate to go that route. 

We will but bottles on all tables, but the thought is to ask if people want them or will use the bar. The worry is that we'll buy a ton of liquor and just have unopened bottles left on tables. Unless you can return alcohol to Costco then that wouldn't be as much of a problem. 

Yes, there will be an assortment of soda, both for mixing and for kids.

Thanks for the thoughts on the drinks, I'll take one out. 
  • I'd be more worried about a bunch of opened bottles with one serving taken, than about unopened bottles! You can't return alcohol to Costco but at least you could give it as gifts or something if it's unopened. :-p

• Lolo8383 said:
    I'd be more worried about a bunch of opened bottles with one serving taken, than about unopened bottles! You can't return alcohol to Costco but at least you could give it as gifts or something if it's unopened. :-p
    The catering staff will consolidate unfinished bottles so that we won't have an excess of open, unfinished bottles. We'll also have to make sure they are packed WAY in the back of the SUV on the drive home! Technically, we'll be breaking open container laws since the SUV doesn't have a trunk, and therefor, the alcohol is accessible. How ever, if we are pulled over and searched, I hope the wedding dress and gifts would deter any cop from citing us for that technicality. 
  • @sbmini i think the bottles are more of a thing for those Armenians who are from Armenian or its more of a family tradition,  i am 3rd generation 50% Armenian on my moms side born in American one of my cousins married an italian and on each table they had red and white wine, but nothing hard liquor. and i live in connecticut where we have armenians but its not a huge community of them like say la nyc philladelphia florida, ,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards