Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Choosing a photographer before selecting a venue??

I just got engaged and am planning a May 2012 casual, backyard or picnic/park style wedding.  We have some venues in mind, but are nowhere near settled.  However, in the meantime, I have found a photographer that I absolutely love.  Is it okay to choose a photographer before selecting a venue or is this a mistake??  I worry that with a Memorial Day wedding this photographer will be booked before we can figure out the place.

Re: Choosing a photographer before selecting a venue??

• edited December 2011
    That's perfectly fine, although knowing some basics about your ceremony will be really helpful in choosing one - Daytime or nighttime? Indoors or out? - that way, when you look at portfolios, you can focus on those details and make sure they can take great photos in those particular conditions.
  • edited December 2011
    Unless you start looking outside of a general area for the venue, I don't see a problem with it (outside of a specific area may increase the cost because of traveling). They may even have a few recommendations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AnnaScarlettAnnaScarlett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its fine, as long as you are 100% committed to the date and general geographic area.
  • Tikki 77Tikki 77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's fine, especially if budget is not going to come into play.  If you get a photographer you love, who happens to be expensive, you may run out of money for the ideal venue you like when you find it.  I'm not sure where you are on this, but just a thought.
    Nashville Photographer.
  • NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We chose our photographer first and she was actually a good resource for venue advice. If you find someone you love, definitely snap them up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards