Attire & Accessories Forum

How do I inform the lady guest to wear wedges or flats?

My venue is a barn with a covered pavilion, but the ground is gravel and rocks. I'm trying to think up a rhyme or something to inform the women to wear the appropriate shoes... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!  

Re: How do I inform the lady guest to wear wedges or flats?

• natboo401 said:
    My venue is a barn with a covered pavilion, but the ground is gravel and rocks. I'm trying to think up a rhyme or something to inform the women to wear the appropriate shoes... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!  

You don't need a rhyme.   You can put on your website and spread through word of mouth "The reception area is gravel and rocks, so heels aren't recommended". 
  • natboo401 said:

You don't need a rhyme.   You can put on your website and spread through word of mouth "The reception area is gravel and rocks, so heels aren't recommended". 
    This.  Not everything needs to be in a cutesy poem format for a wedding.

• I don't have a website, I was just thinking I would print little cards and put them with the invitations. 
  • Are you getting married there as well?  If not then you need to have a separate reception card to include the address of the venue.  On this card you can put the note that QueerFemme suggested.  If you are getting married at the venue then you can include a Venue Information card that includes the note about footwear and also directions.

• This is the wording I used: 

"As the ceremony is on grass, we recommend ladies wear flats to the ceremony or heel protectors."
  • Thanks ladies for your suggestions! 
  • natboo401 said:
    My ceremony & reception are in a similar type venue and I had an enclosure card that had details about parking/transportation, the fact that it wasn't air conditioned, and the shoes. I didn't make it rhyme - I just wrote it directly to save time and confusion :)
  • My wedding was on grass. We didn't have a website either, but we just spread it by word of mouth.
  • I dont think footwear is worth an insert
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    I dont think footwear is worth an insert
    I do, especially if the ground that people will be walking and standing on all night is not very conducive for heels.

• KatWAG said:
    I do, especially if the ground that people will be walking and standing on all night is not very conducive for heels.
    I agree for several reasons.  I personally spend a little extra $$ on heels to get a more comfortable shoe.  The other reason I would want to know is I have a 'bad' ankle from an injury and if the surface of the location was uneven I would not be a happy camper at all (especially because I would not want to go barefoot on certain types of gravel so I wouldn't have many options).  Without being told, even if I knew the venue I would assume it was being covered.

Side note to the OP:  Would it be possible for you to purchase some of the $1 or $2 flip flops for your guests just in case?

Anniversary
  • edited March 2014
    FTR, I very much appreciate a heads up when it comes to footwear. I always wear heels to weddings and if I'm going to be on a type of ground that's going to make it hard for me to walk, I'd like to know. 

I once attended a wedding of a friend. It was held at her grandfather's house that I'd never been to. I had no idea of the logistics. The entire wedding was on his (uneven) grassy backyard. I, along with most of the women, spent most of the time in our seats because we were afraid to walk. I watched two girls fall and hurt themselves. 
  • I went to a wedding at a farm last year. I was very, very grateful when they told us to wear flats. Heels would have been awful.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    KatWAG said:

Really? Even if you saw that the event was at a barn/ farm, you wouldn't assume heels aren't a great idea.

ETA: I think spreading the information by word of mouth is great. I just think an insert is overkill

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:

Really? Even if you saw that the event was at a barn/ farm, you wouldn't assume heels aren't a great idea.

ETA: I think spreading the information by word of mouth is great. I just think an insert is overkill

No, because I would assume that a barn would have a wood floor, not one made of gravel and dirt.

• KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:

No, because I would assume that a barn would have a wood floor, not one made of gravel and dirt.

Me too.
  • KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:

Me too.
    Me Three!!!  (OR I would assume that they were at least laying out a make-shift plywood floor)

Anniversary
  • Definitely appreciate the heads up if there are unusual ground conditions... I went to a wedding a few years ago that was outside.  The reception was in a tent which had hard floor, so no problem.  But parking was REALLY far away, across a grassy field (I'd guess 200 feet or more).  And it had been raining all day, so the ground was soft. Of course, I wore heals and sunk with each step.  My fiancé actually ended up carrying me part of the way because it was such a difficult mess.

I put it on my wedding website and have let people know via word of mouth to wear comfortable shoes for my wedding.  Unfortunately, the scenario for my destination wedding will mean that people will likely spend a lot of time on their feet, either standing or walking around. That's one of the complaints I've seen for this venue from previous weddings, so I wanted to make sure to warn my guests in advance. Several of my guests are already starting to ask about attire for my wedding anyway (3 months in advance), so I just make sure to let them know.

• I am defiantly going to add a card with the warning... I just wanted to get some wording examples... I'm not that creative! ha! 
  • I can't say I've spent much time in barns living in the NYC suburbs and all. I would totally assume a barn floor was wood-planked. 
  • For the card - I would just put 'Please note the ground is gravel covered; please wear suitable footwear'.  I wouldn't beat around the bush - if you're able maybe even get a picture of the location (ground include) and have it printed with the card just because some people may think 'oh it'll be big pieces of jagged edged gravel' while others will think 'it's just going to be little river pebbles'.  I also wouldn't spell out 'heels' only because depending on how the gravel/grounds actually are, a guy might also want to choose to wear a different pair of shoes in order to avoid the possibility of ruining an expensive pair.

Anniversary
  • Exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks Dignity100!
  • I really like the term "sensible shoes". I don't know why, though. Maybe that would work for you?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards