Chit Chat

Need ideas for a fun housewarming present.

I'm going to a housewarming party next weekend for two of my closest friends and I can't decide what to get them. I was going to get them these adorable chihuahua taco holders but they are sold out. They are fun-loving and quirky, a lesbian couple - not that it matters, but they ARE two women so nothing guy/girl themed, and have a dog. I can't come up with anything that isn't boring or typical. Any ideas?? 

Re: Need ideas for a fun housewarming present.

• SmileDamnitSmileDamnit member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Have you ever shopped Uncommon Goods? I've found a lot of fun, quirky gifts there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I haven't! I will check them out. Thank you!
  • AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014

Do they have shared hobbies that you could incorporate?

Are they going to be doing home improvement projects?  You could buy them a new stepladder/paintbrush/something and attach a Home Depot or Lowe's gift card.

Gift cards to restaurants (bonus points if they deliver) so they can have a meal in the house that they don't have to cook while they unpack.

ETA: I just saw that you don't want "typical" so these probably won't work for you.  Have you browsed Etsy?

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Haven't looked at Etsy yet. Good idea! 

They're renting the house so I'm not sure how many improvement projects they're allowed to do. Also, they work opposite hours so there's only like 1 night per week that they can have dinner together. 
  • If you're looking for quirky, I like a lot of the fun stuff that's made by Fred.  Bonus: their stuff is sold almost everywhere!

• My favorite housewarming gift we received, was a large glass jar filled with some nice hand soap, dishtowels, fun cocktail napkins and nice wood plastic ware. The container is reusable and I really liked all the items in it. Plus you can customize it to your friends' taste. (Dog treats, spatula, etc.)
  • kasmith1 said:
    My favorite housewarming gift we received, was a large glass jar filled with some nice hand soap, dishtowels, fun cocktail napkins and nice wood plastic ware. The container is reusable and I really liked all the items in it. Plus you can customize it to your friends' taste. (Dog treats, spatula, etc.)
    That's a cute idea! 
  • One time I made a cute gift basket by using a large metal colander and then I filled it with two dish towels, fancy pasta, fancy pasta sauce, wine, biscotti, cheese, and some other things that would make a for a delish italian at home dinner date.

• One time I made a cute gift basket by using a large metal colander and then I filled it with two dish towels, fancy pasta, fancy pasta sauce, wine, biscotti, cheese, and some other things that would make a for a delish italian at home dinner date.
    That is such a fantastic idea! I love it. 
  • My go-to is a big box uncovered filled with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, ziploc bags, dishwashing detergent, sponges, all purpose cleaner, lint roller, carpet cleaner, bathroom cleaner, stain remover, trash bags, duct tape, packing tape, sticky wall hooks, etc. I've handed it to 3 friends and said "Here's everything I wish someone had bought me!" They all loved it and guests said how great it was. Because you never think to buy stain remover or duct tape until you frigen need it and you're screwed lol.

• Do you want to buy them something useful or something "cute"?

My first thought is novelty salt and pepper shakers.
  • These are all great idea! Thank you so much ladies!
  • Fab.com has some really fun, quirky stuff too.
  • I tend to buy people things for their yards as a housewarming gift because no one else thinks to do it. When my grandma and great grandma got a house together a few years ago I got them a pretty purple wind chime.
  • I find that HomeGoods has some neat items.  I don't know if there is one near you, but it's worth checking out.  A lot of the ideas suggested by PPs can be found there if you don't have time for online shopping.
  • I love Uncommon Goods!

When I moved into my first house, I was given a bunch of lovely gifts of things I didn't need and couldn't figure out what to do with. My favorite gifts were edible. Sure, I'm a foodie, but who doesn't want the fun jams and olives that they can no longer afford as new home owners?

A friend gave me a crockpot and a few bags of frozen dinners as a gift. It was one of the greatest gifts ever! I also love @Maggie0829's idea.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards