Chit Chat

Thursday randoms

-- As I was driving to work this morning, I was following a car with the first licence letters 'GCK,' which of course made me think 'Goodbye Cruel Knot.'

-- Also while driving to work the radio talk show host said more couples are choosing to find out the gender of impending babies -- 69 percent do find out and 41 percent don't. Even at 7.45 a.m. with only one cup of coffee, I can realise that math is wrong.

-- Today is the first day of spring, and I'm dressed like Johnny Cash -- assuming the Man in Black would wear black wool slacks, a black-and-white printed blouse, and black espadrilles.

-- I washed my hair with my old shampoo three times last night, and my scalp FINALLY feels clean. I'm going to buy the colour-protectant version of my shampoo tonight.

-- Last year, after the parish festival, we were asked to submit feedback. I submitted a detailed analysis of 'barriers to market entry' for the festival. Guess who's on the committee this year? That'll teach me!

-- Sometime today, I have to outline my thoughts for my meeting with my priest about the DRE at my parish. I should do yoga to calm down before writing that list :)

-- It's THURSDAY, y'all! It's almost FRIDAY! 

What's on everyone else's agendas for the day?
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: Thursday randoms

• I am in black and grey today, so I'm thinking of it as mourning the fact that spring weather has not arrived with the official First Day of Spring.

I have so much work to do today, and I'm too distracted to do it. But press on, I must!

We have our weekly team meeting today, which isn't going to be much of a meeting. We've decided that in lieu of a quarterly team outing (because the weather is shitty and unpredictable), we're having lunch catered and we're going to watch a movie in one of the conference rooms. Hooray!

Tonight, I'm going to convince FI to make a stop at Target after work so that I can buy some more work-appropriate blouses.

• Being the first day of Spring and actually being semi-pretty here in NC today, I relaized I need Spring-ish work clothes. This is my first year in an office job and everything I own is black, which will just not do for the warmer weather in NC humidity.

On a different note, FI and I are having another couple over for supper tonight. Bad news, I haven't veen decided what to cook.

• I'm 1/3rd of a tech startup. I've spent the week trying to figure out what a client told me was a massive bug in our code. It turns out that there is no problem but the client did something so exceptionally stupid that I couldn't comprehend it.

I'm absurdly excited about Saturday. My BMs were given (fairly) free reign over dresses but decided to shop together. We go Saturday afternoon. After that, date night with FI. His 15 year old son lives with us but will be with his mom this weekend. I love the kid to pieces but he's going through a serious asshole phase so I'm excited to have the weekend to ourselves. (And yes, I know that makes me a horrible person).

Oh- and FI's traveling for work next week. I'll miss him and don't love the idea of going solo parent-ish for the week... But no compromising on tv! I'll finally get to watch season 2 of House of Cards and a dvr full of wedding shows without guilt!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It's actually nice here today, yay spring. I am just trying to get by here at work until 5.  I'm loosing my voice and my show opens tomorrow.  My co-worker is out because he caught a stomach bug.  So I'm hoping I don't catch it!

Anniversary

• @wandajune6 -- I binge-watched old episodes of 'Big Bang Theory' last night, unregretfully, because DH was at work and he's not as much a fan of the show as I am. I also frequently watch 'Castle' when he's not around, for the same reason.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Happy Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you can tell I am excited that the winter is FINALLY behind us. I'm wearing a lavender blazer with black pants. I figured lavender is an appropriate color to welcome the spring. I washed my hair last night and did not feel like straightening it - plus it was rainy yesterday - so I have it back to curly. It's been a few weeks since I let my curls out.

I have a lot of work to do today. So much work that I even dreamed about it. Gross. After work, my department is hosting a charity trivia night. My company has a huge annual charity campaign and different departments across the company host different activities. This year some of the ones we had were a pie baking contest, cutest pet photo contest, bake sales, March Madness brackets, and a 3 course lunch to name a few. Our trivia night will have drinks and appetizers, so I am looking forward to that at the end of the day.

And then, it will be Friday!! Can't wait for the weekend :)

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• @HisGirl- Big Bang is the only show FI ever binge watches that I like! He goes for car and home shows while I prefer dramas and, as of late, wedding shows. We usually compromise with Big Bang. Sadly, I've seen every episode so many times it's losing the appeal.
  • I just baked a batch of caramel rainbow cupcakes. I'm waiting for them to cool, and then I'm gonna ice them with toffee caramel buttercream.

After that, I'm gonna go to art class. I'm working on a painting of some tulips for FMIL, and I'm almost done with the flowers and leaves. I'm hoping to be able to get onto the background next week, and finish it by the end of the month.

And then we're having dinner with some friends of FFIL. I don't really want to go, but the FILs had a hissy fit the last time I declined an invitation to dinner with friends of theirs (I didn't stop FI from going though), so I'm keeping the peace. I really hate that they can't understand that I'm not a social person, and that going out for dinner with people I've never met is really exhausting for me. Especially considering the FFIL is a virtual hermit. I'm not kidding - there were people at the last village event we attended who were genuinely shocked that FFIL was still alive.

Tomorrow's a holiday here, and our BM will be home for the weekend, so we're gonna spend some time with him.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I am sad to report that I have nothing exciting going on in my life. I'm going to do the same thing today that I do every day- get off work at 11:00, get lunch, run, answer some e-mails, watch some of last night's shows online, and then get to bed. 

I wear pretty much the same stuff year-round, but I ALWAYS have to have a sweater at my desk because they keep the building freezing. So, no news there.

• Hellllooooooooo, Spring!! In honor of her arrive, I'm sporting a dress (sans leggings) and flats...and I'm freezing my damn ass off. Might maybe have been a wee bit over zealous with my attire this morning.

I've got a whole lotta nothing on the agenda for the day - need to wrap a couple projects in office, really should get an oil change if I remember at lunch, and would like to take a quick walk around the park this afternoon. And speaking of walking, I saw a man walking a giant tortoise down the street on my drive in this morning. Random much??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Today is my Friday and then I have a 5 day staycation!!  My Mom came up for a visit so we are going to do our typical fun Mother/Daughter things such as shopping for house stuff, going out to lunch and dinner, spend hours at IKEA, and rearranging my house not because it needs it but because we can never leave well enough alone.

So now I am just trying to not go stir crazy until 4:30 when I can get the hell out of here and start having some fun!  I will probably just watch episodes of LOST on Netflix since I have no actual work to do today.

• Happy Thursday everyone! I actually took the time to do my hair and makeup and pick out a cute outfit for work today. It feels great.

My boss was out of the office earlier this week so I was a free range laura. It was awesome! Now she's back and driving me nuts (as usual). Does anyone else feel more productive when the boss isn't around?

Taking tomorrow off work to get my ring sized, check out a wedding venue with FI and go out to dinner with FILs. I really hope they don't bring FSIL.

In honor of the first day of spring, I picked a hyacinth flower from my neighbors' yard (they don't care about it at all, I'm amazed anything grows there)...judge me as you will.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @GlitterWitch22 I love cooking too, but lately I have found myself cooking the same things over and over.

But since it is nice out I was kind of thinking about something on the grill. Maybe some cajun chicken for a Grilled Chicken Salad, or maybe a good salmon.

• @GlitterWitch22 OMG! The Italian Chicken sounds amazing and would be so good with some penne pasta :) I think I have a winner

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I woke up at 5 a.m. (like I do everyday) to walk my dog, who pooped in a ditch filled with fall leaves. It being 5 a.m. and all, it was dark, so I pulled out my phone flashlight to help me scope out the location of her #2 to clean it up. I.Looked.Everywhere. No success. Now, when I get home later, I need to make a point to return to the "drop-off" location to try to find it again, because not cleaning up after your dog is pretty shitty (pun intended). 

I have an incredibly busy day ahead of me. Work, then a charity meeting, then a workout, then pulling a search party for my dog's poop. I'M EXHAUSTED, PEOPLE. Where the fuck is Friday when you need it?
  • urbaneca said:
    I just baked a batch of caramel rainbow cupcakes. I'm waiting for them to cool, and then I'm gonna ice them with toffee caramel buttercream.

Caramel rainbow cupcakes?!  I don't know what these are, but they sound magical.  

• @Jennycolada tha looks good too! Love getting some new recipes!

• @wandajune6 -- I binge-watched old episodes of 'Big Bang Theory' last night, unregretfully, because DH was at work and he's not as much a fan of the show as I am. I also frequently watch 'Castle' when he's not around, for the same reason.
    @HisGirlFriday13 I am a huge Castle fan too! It's something that I don't really understand. I am not a big fan of "police-detective" shows, but something about the tag-a-long writer / murder detective with an Herbal Essences hairdo combo is a total guilty pleasure for me
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's not freezing cold today!!!! 

FI and I are going up to Vermont to ski next weekend and I cannot wait. I'm taking a few days off from work too. I need it before I go crazy. 

I bought new gym clothes and I can't wait to wear them later. Me = dork. 
  • P.S. I feel sad because I have been working so much this week, that I did not even realize that it was the first day of spring and I am in my ever-trusty black turtleneck :s
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • urbaneca said:
    I just baked a batch of caramel rainbow cupcakes. I'm waiting for them to cool, and then I'm gonna ice them with toffee caramel buttercream.
    Then you're going to box them up and ship them to me, right??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @loro929- don't knock the black turtlenecks! Though for me, it's a black cardigan sweater. I have a ton of them in different cuts (and, sadly, shades of fading). I live in them!
  • And, because I've turned into that geek...

FI went to Target with the shopping list and coupons/etc I gave him. He got everything on the list (he bought a bunch of other crap)for just the cost of tax. It wasn't a huge list nor was it anything exciting but feeling pretty pleased with myself!
  • It's sunny in the Pacific Northwest to celebrate the first day of spring. Unfortunately, the 14 day weather forecast for Ontario has 2 days of snow leading up to the wedding, so that sucks.

I've been working on this long-term experiment in the lab (this is week 16) and I am getting my first results today, which is exciting but also stressful because if it doesn't work it takes 16 more weeks to do it again :S

After work tonight I have my final dress fitting!

Anniversary
  • afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2014
    I wish I was dressed or had plans instead of chores :( I'm still in FI's tee shirt that I slept in and once I finish my coffee need to clean the house, make a grocery list, bake bread for dinner tonight, do some homework, and then get FI's son to baseball. 

GlitterWitch22 I am definitely adding ingredients for the Italian chicken to the grocery list! 
  • A whole lotta nothing!

Am currently at work, bored as it is super slow. Ready for lunch.

Then after work I am off to cancel my tanning membership! (Can't remember if I told you all, but I went to dermatologist last week and they found a "Spot" that needed to be checked, so I was freaking out bc I was tanning here and there for a month and a half. The results came back negative though, so YAY! No more tanning for me though, life's too short for skin cancer!)

Then I am going home to my cats, and maybe clean. Or sit on the couch and go over wedding stuff. That is really all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Happy Thursday!

And it's an exciting one for me! STD hit the mail today and I sent the URL for our wedding website to our wedding party so they can take a look before anyone else does. :-) My sister in her true fashion is copy editing the whole thing. Someone told me they thought that was rude of her - I explained it saved me from the embarrassment of wonderful things like writing dinning instead of dining.  :-)

• I'm am counting down the minutes until I can get the heck out of work. I have a Yelp Elite event at a cool bar/restaurant tonight. It's not that far away, but it's the direction of rush hour traffic, so it will be a bit of a nightmare. I need to make sure I have enough time to stop at Rita's for my free water ice before hitting the bar!

I also need to clear out the memory card on my camera and my phone so I can take a ridiculous amount of pictures when we drive to PA for a car show. Also, a little scared at how much the mead is going to cost us for the wedding. The liquor store would charge us like $8 for 1L bottles of Andre, but neither of us drinks champagne much. We thought it would be a nice nod to FI's Irish heritage to serve mead. We agreed to it, THEN realized the mead bottles are only 500mL and are over $20 each. Blah.

~*~*~*~*~

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014

My highlight today was getting the two boxes of Girl Scout cookies that I ordered months ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards