Gothic Weddings

Looking to create a macabre "evil forest" wedding

I'm a "goth-leaning" bride that doesn't want a full-on goth wedding, but I do want it to be darkly elegant to match my tastes.  We're getting married in mid-October, and I'm trying to think of ways to create a macabre atmosphere, like an "evil forest."  So far I'm thinking of having strange flower arrangements with bare branches, spiky flowers, and pheasant feathers.  Plus lots of candles. 

But after that, I'm stumped.  What else could I do in terms of decor to set the dark mood, without resorting to skulls, black and red, etc.?

Re: Looking to create a macabre "evil forest" wedding

• that sounds like you have a lot of good ideas, mabye try out http://offbeatbride.com/
    its a site that leans more towards diy but is mostly gothic so you should find some great insperation there,
     hope it helps :)
  • Definitely bare branches for centerpieces, with candles and maybe a few dark accents.  You can find some that you can hang candles from, as well, which is always elegant looking.
    Instead of going with the whole red/black thing (which is actually what we're doing) maybe you can do charcoal gray and/or purple accents. Divine Willow Mama has some great inspirational ideas-you can find some of her posts and her bio in this board.
    I found some websites for centerpiece branches by googling "manzanita centerpieces". 
    Candelabras would be lovely in this setting as well, large ornate ones. 

• im doing brances as my centerpieces and also pumpkins too.you could do some pumpkins with scary faces.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Branches can go a long way toward doorway and ceiling decoration. It's all up to your venue, but I'll see if I can't re-find some photos I had of branches hung from the ceiling (I'm assuming on some strong wires of course) with candles hanging from them (probably LED candles). Maybe it was lanterns? Just regular fall-style wreaths with twisty branches/long grasses and pheasant feathers could work! You could possibly do some silvery cobweb up there on them too. Or maybe just do a traditional ceiling draping with white tulle, but if there's unusual lighting on it, or in combination with the rest of the room, it could look misty and ethereal? Other colors like navy blue or dark purple could be lovely too.

Other than that, I'd say maybe think a bit on moon or star decor you might find, see if it works in. And don't forget lighting! It doesn't need to be fancy or colored, but even a blank space can be goth-ed up with good lighting.
  • In Response to Looking to create a macabre "evil forest" wedding:
    [QUOTE]I'm a "goth-leaning" bride that doesn't want a full-on goth wedding, but I do want it to be darkly elegant to match my tastes.  We're getting married in mid-October, and I'm trying to think of ways to create a macabre atmosphere, like an "evil forest."  So far I'm thinking of having strange flower arrangements with bare branches, spiky flowers, and pheasant feathers.  Plus lots of candles.  But after that, I'm stumped.  What else could I do in terms of decor to set the dark mood, without resorting to skulls, black and red, etc.?
    Posted by casyme[/QUOTE]

I think you can get that look without looking too "goth" by using lots of shadows and dark colors but not necessarily black and red. Also try using textures to create that feeling, ex) fabric draped vertically down walls or bricks/stone used on tables/walls. Just a thought! 
  • Branches are a wonderful idea! Maybe drape dark sheer fabric on the overhead lights if there are any, to give the light a dusky quality.
  • Check out Confessions of a Crafty Witch on Facebook. They have a ton of DIY projects that could be totally up your ally. ^_^
  • I am currently planning a very similar wedding and would LOVE some photos and ideas from yours!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards