Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid dress question

Hi everyone. I could use a little advice. I picked a color for the bridesmaid dresses (berry) and am letting the girls pick whatever style and length they want in that color. I was wondering if I should designate a fabric (basically satin or non-satin) or bring it up with them and let them make a group decision. I want them to be comfortable but also am worried that say, if only one shows up in satin, it will look weird with the different styles and lengths. What do you all think? Should I just make a decision or let them make a group choice?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Bridesmaid dress question

• I gave my girls two fabric choices that I know photograph well together. They ultimately chose the length and fabric on their own as I wanted them to be comfortable and buy something they loved. I think it ultimately comes down to if you trust their judgement and style of dress.
  • I don't think it's unreasonable to specify a fabric -- satin, chiffon, jersey, whatever -- because  even the same colour will look different in different fabrics.

I was in a friend's wedding and when the other BM and I tried on dresses, the bride really liked the colour 'apple.' We tried the dresses on in chiffon apple. We ordered satin apple. It was much, much darker in satin than it was in chiffon.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Does the bridal shop you went to have swatches of the colors and the different fabrics? I just chose one specific color and designer that my BM's could choose from and then they were free to pick whatever dress they felt most comfortable in. 
  • Thanks for the help! :)

• Even if the dresses are by the same disginer/store, if they are in different materials the colour may appear differently.  Examples of mismatched fabrics:
    imageimage
    Examples of dresses in the same fabric:
    imageimage
  • Where did you get your dresses from?

I was in a wedding a few years ago and the bride let us pick our own dresses as long as they were in the same color. At the store, the attendant looked up what dresses the other BMs had gotten and would ONLY bring me dresses in fabrics that would look okay. Said she needed approval from the bride to do otherwise. I didn't care, made my decision even easier, but I mentioned to the bride later and it turned out that was just something they were doing, she had never requested it.

Same thing happened last year when my sister got married. I was the MOH and picked out my dress first, and it turned out all the other BMs were only given options that would look okay with mine. 

Kind of strange, but also oddly helpful.
  • I only have 3 BM so we went together.  They are all getting the same color but it turns out Fabric looked differently on different BM.  They young, busty one ended up with more of a chiffon overlay and the mature not so busty one in Satin.  We put them all on side by side and they looked fine. The Satin was my MOH... the other BM ended up picking a dress with a chiffon overlay too (different style) but almost went with Satin and that looked ok too.  Slight variation in color was no big deal. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went ahead and made an appointment for all the girls (majority of them are my cousins, so they are very excited to go together!) and I think we'll see what they are leaning towards when we go. @starbright2013 I'm hoping we'll have a helpful attendant since there will be 7 of us there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards