Pre-wedding Parties

Shower help

Hi ladies, I'm throwing my SIL's shower and was wondering if anyone had a good timeline breakdown or checklist for me to use as guidance? Her wedding is June 14th... I was planning to start after the new year but time has gotten away from me :/

I'm thinking my first step would be to get MIL, SMIL, MOH and any bridesmaids who were interested in hosting together for a lunch maybe next weekend so we can decide what our budget is.

How involved is your bride in her shower? I was always under the impression (I didn't have a shower for my wedding, actually that is thanks to SIL who flaked but I'm trying not to hold onto that grudge ;) haha) that a shower is a gift to the bride, so they should have no part of the planning process, aside from the guest list, unless she is directly asked.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Shower help

• (and clearly my siggy change hasn't carried over from TB... go figure)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am a bride, but my sister is throwing my shower. The only thing she ran by was the date (to make sure it worked for me) and the menu (to make sure I liked the food). Other than that she has handled everything and hasn't asked my opinion or help on anything.
  • Talking with the people you mentioned now is a good idea.  Email/phone works nicely for coordinating who wants to participate and dates.  If people want to participate then you are right to make sure everyone is clear on budget.

I think invites usually go out about a month before so you should start planning now seeing as how you will only have April or a couple weekends in May (assuming you stay away from Mother's Day and Memorial Day weekends) to choose from.

You will need to decide budget, date (as PP mentioned clear the date with the bride), guest list (may also consult bride but anyone invited to the shower must be invited to the wedding) and menu.  The other things you might want to plan -- if you decide to do them -- are decorations, favors, centerpieces, games and prizes. 

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think it is more appropriate to ask others about co-hosting privately, not at a group lunch. You will be (unintentionally?) putting people on the spot if you ask about their budget and level of involvement in a group setting. I would ask each person separately if they would like to be involved in hosting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards