Wedding Woes

I wonder if this will become common among the youneek name set.

Dear Prudence,
For decades I’ve used my initials in lieu of the first name(s) I was christened with. My family and old friends use my given name, but professionally I’m known by my initials. Many people—among them prospective employers, salespeople, new acquaintances—give me a hard time about my choice. They first ask, then frequently demand to know my “real” name. I’ve smiled and murmured something about preferring my initials, but they persist and then the conversation gets hijacked by the subject. This happens so frequently and some people get so vehement about it that I wonder if I shouldn’t just acquiesce and give them my full name? Or am I making too much of this?

—D.A.

Re: I wonder if this will become common among the youneek name set.

• Apparently, I'm feeling .gif-fy today:
  • I love gifs, so you being giffy with it makes me very happy.  ;) 
  • Like X Billups in To Kill a Mockingbird. Parents were illiterate, so where they had to write a name on the birth certificate form, they just wrote down an X

Problem solved.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My brother wanted to name his son RJ. Just the letters, no names or abbreviations. We talked him out of that because for the kid's entire life people would be asking what RJ stood for!!

• What about people who have names like "Kay" or "Jay"?  People might always ask them what it stands for, if they don't see it spelled out. 

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    kerbohl said:
    What about people who have names like "Kay" or "Jay"?  People might always ask them what it stands for, if they don't see it spelled out. 
    Like Homer J. Simpson
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards