Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Split entree or single choice?

Our caterer ( Jeffrey Miller Catering) offers split entrees--which they call duet entrees--that provide each guest with the same two entrees. So for example, we could get a duet of glazed salmon and filet mignon and two sides. This allows food to be served faster and eliminates dealing with RSVP cards for entrees. We already went to a tasting and all the food was delicious, but I don't know...do you think people would prefer a choice? Please help!

Re: Split entree or single choice?

• There are always people who are picky or have dietary restriction.    We still went with a duet plate of filet of beef and crab cakes.   We knew before the invites went out who was allergic to shellfish so they got 2 filets.  We knew who didn't eat red meat and they got 2 crab cakes.  We knew who were vegetarians and Kosher so we had a veggie dish that did double duty.  

So for us and our guests duet was a great option.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks! Good to know :)
  • I am a picky eater (unfortunately) and would much prefer a single option.  Having my plate come out with salmon (or any other fish) would be heartbreaking because I am sure it is of Satan himself.  I would be nibbling my salad.
  • I went to a wedding a couple of years ago with "duet" entrees.  The RSVP card asked for chicken, fish, or vegetarian.  Both the chicken and fish were paired with beef.  There were many guests who didn't eat red meat and were horrified their chicken or fish was sharing a plate and a sauce with beef.  I wouldn't do it, personally.
  • I also prefer the single entree choice.  Duet entrees usually result in a waste of food, at least from my appetite.  Honestly, organizing entree choices is really not that difficult. 
  • bleh fish would ruin the whole plate for me.  single choice!  

i am offering 4 choices and it has been a breeze organizing responses. just one more box to tick when i input their rsvp into my spreadsheet.  totally the way to go.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I do not like salmon, so I'd much rather have the option of a single entree, and full serving of the beef. 
  • My venue does duet as standard but I chose to do single-choice. However, even if we did duet, the guests would be asked at the table if they prefer 2 beef or 2 chicken rather than the duet. If your caterer does it that way then I think it is less of an issue. if they would standard pre-plate 2 different meats/ fish then I agree with all PP's.
  • My venue does duet as standard but I chose to do single-choice. However, even if we did duet, the guests would be asked at the table if they prefer 2 beef or 2 chicken rather than the duet. If your caterer does it that way then I think it is less of an issue. if they would standard pre-plate 2 different meats/ fish then I agree with all PP's.
    I agree with this. If they can choose tableside to "double up"-go for the duet. Otherwise I would do single choice. When I've seen a duet plate, so much goes to waste. 
  • I know far too many people who are too picky for this to have been an option for us, unless it was like a chicken/pasta duet. Too much risk of waste; I'd rather go through a tiny bit more hassle with RSVP cards and have everyone enjoy their full plate than have some people only eat half, or eat none because "it's touching," etc.

• I'm not a fan of duet entrees.  I always end up throwing half of the plate away. I would rather have a larger portion of the thing I actually liked.
  • I prefer a single option of what I'd like to eat.
  • I'd prefer either a single option or a duo plate where I get to choose both proteins. I hate fish and would be grossed out if it was on my plate, and I'm allergic to seafood.
  • Thanks for all the input everyone. Very helpful. @Majesty318: Jeffrey Miller does encourage people to "double up" on one of the proteins if using the Duet entrees. After reading all these comments, I was thinking of including a description of the duet menu, with an option for people to double up or choose vegetarian. That way less gets wasted. Sound good?
  • Do you really have to mention the name of your caterer in EVERY post you've made so far?  Seriously.  I have a funny feeling YOU are this caterer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards