Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower theme opinion

Hello!

I'm having a really silly dilemma and I figured this was the best place to ask for advice:) for a long time I have thought I wanted my bridal shower to be "Tiffany-themed". I love Tiffany&co and I love the color so much (but didn't want it as my wedding color) so a bridal party seemed like the perfect solution. It was actually my mom's suggestion awhile ago after we attended a friend's shower and when she told me I liked it. Not overly themed but the Tiffany blue decoratins and white bows, etc etc.

100% unexpectedly, my fiancé got me my dream engagement ring from Tiffany. Even though I haven't told most people where the ring came from, now I feel like a Tiffany themed shower can come across as tacky. I'm not at all suggesting a tiffany ring is worth bragging about, it's just a ring, but I don't know if it can be interpreted that way to some people.

If that makes any sense.

I told my mom and sister I wasn't sure my fiancé or I was comfortable with the shower idea anymore and they're upset. They don't seem to understand.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Re: Bridal Shower theme opinion

• First, you really should not be planning your own shower. It looks tacky and gift grabby. If someone wants to throw you one, great! I am sure they will ask for ides, etc. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hello!

I'm having a really silly dilemma and I figured this was the best place to ask for advice:) for a long time I have thought I wanted my bridal shower to be "Tiffany-themed". I love Tiffany&co and I love the color so much (but didn't want it as my wedding color) so a bridal party seemed like the perfect solution. It was actually my mom's suggestion awhile ago after we attended a friend's shower and when she told me I liked it. Not overly themed but the Tiffany blue decoratins and white bows, etc etc.

100% unexpectedly, my fiancé got me my dream engagement ring from Tiffany. Even though I haven't told most people where the ring came from, now I feel like a Tiffany themed shower can come across as tacky. I'm not at all suggesting a tiffany ring is worth bragging about, it's just a ring, but I don't know if it can be interpreted that way to some people.

If that makes any sense.

I told my mom and sister I wasn't sure my fiancé or I was comfortable with the shower idea anymore and they're upset. They don't seem to understand.

any thoughts?

thanks!

So do you think other people will consider it tacky if they knew your ring was from Tiffany's or just the thought of a Tiffany-themed shower in general?  Trying to clarify.

My BFF had everything Tiffany blue, including her ring, and no one gave her the side-eye or even put two and two together.  Instead of doing one large cake for her shower, I pain-painstakingly made 60 mini-cakes and iced them to look like a Tiffany box with white bows.  It took me about 8 hours and at some point I may have gone face down in the icing, but she loved it :)

• Ditto Emmy. And what would a "Tiffany" theme entail? Blue decorations? Faux engagement rings as cupcake toppers?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Emmy1493 said:
    First, you really should not be planning your own shower. It looks tacky and gift grabby. If someone wants to throw you one, great! I am sure they will ask for ides, etc. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.
    i probably could have been a lot clearer in my post.  i apologize. i am absolutely not planning my own shower.  when i say i knew i "wanted it to be this theme" i meant because she had already presented me with that idea in the past and i said yes. my mom told me the shower theme idea years ago (ive been with my fiance 5.5 years, so it has come up before) and i loved it then and told her to go with it.  and now that we are officially engaged, my sister and her are moving forward with that plan.
    AddieL73 said:
    Ditto Emmy. And what would a "Tiffany" theme entail? Blue decorations? Faux engagement rings as cupcake toppers?
    i honestly dont know since it will be up to my mom and my sister and their creative minds, but im pretty positive the color theme and anything they can make into a tiffany box. ha
    OBX2011 said:

Hello!

If that makes any sense.

any thoughts?

thanks!

So do you think other people will consider it tacky if they knew your ring was from Tiffany's or just the thought of a Tiffany-themed shower in general?  Trying to clarify.

My BFF had everything Tiffany blue, including her ring, and no one gave her the side-eye or even put two and two together.  Instead of doing one large cake for her shower, I pain-painstakingly made 60 mini-cakes and iced them to look like a Tiffany box with white bows.  It took me about 8 hours and at some point I may have gone face down in the icing, but she loved it :)
    yes, my thinking is that people will think it's tacky if they know where the ring is from.  and if they dont know where it is from (as many dont) it will be like im like holding up a sign saying "this is where he got my ring from" just by having a themed shower.  i can't really equate it to anything particular. granted to the other point... since im not throwing myself a shower i'm not really holding the sign at all. haha. 

that is the cutest thing ever (the mini cakes) and i know my mom and sister are thinking the exact same things. they are super crafty and love to bake.. haha. so i just assume anything that can be turned into a little tiffany box with bow... will. ha
  • I don't think having an actual Tiffany ring will affect whether people view it as tacky or not. Depending on how it's done, some people might read the theme as overly materialistic. 
    If anything, I'd think it was "tackier" if you didn't have a Tiffany ring. It would feel like you weren't happy with what your FI gave you. 

Overall, I don't think many (if any) people will side eye it.

Anniversary
  • I don't think it's tacky at all. I'm not a Tiffany fan, but I've seen some really cute ideas online because I think this is a popular theme. The colors are nice and the blue box with white bow is iconic so it makes it an easy theme. 
  • Emmy1493Emmy1493 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, unless they are a jeweler, or its blatantly obvious and they know what a Tiffany ring looks like, it's not going to matter. I probably wouldn't notice the difference from any other ring. Then again that might just be me. Tiffany BS are very popular actually, so if they go with it, I wouldn't really side eye it. I also wouldn't worry about it either. 

Edit: Spelling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• thanks guys!  @emmy1493 love the pokemon pic!
  • thanks guys!  @emmy1493 love the pokemon pic!
    Thanks ^_^
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If you're looking for themed bridal shower decor, check out <deleted>.  They have great pinterest-inspired decor that you can buy in an all-encompassing package (and you don't have to spend time running around to a bunch of different stores to collect the perfect decorations)! <deleted>
    You cannot advertize here.  @KnotPorscha, vendor alert.

• @viczaesar thanks for letting me know!
  • Sorry, I tend to think Tiffany-themed anything is materialistic, regardless of where your ring is from. Or, for that matter, anything commercial branding-related. I just can't get on board with people idolizing brands so much. I find it pretty hard to believe anybody wants the "theme" just because they think the boxes are pretty (although they are, and aqua is my favorite color)... it's "conspicuous consumerism" of a luxury brand. I don't see anyone who loves the color yellow wanting a Cheerios-themed party. Just my opinion, but it's one your guests may share so I would tread carefully. I'd also be very nervous a gift I brought to a Tiffany-themed shower wouldn't be viewed as "good enough," and that would make me uncomfortable.
    (Note: I work in advertising, so I realize it's part of my industry to make people idolize brands, but I still hate it. I apologize for the monster my industry has created.) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards