Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Consistently good, or sometimes great?

Hi all! I have a photographer dilemma and was wondering what you all would do. I'm trying to decide between two photographers. Both do good work.

One is consistently excellent. All of her photos are good, crisp, consistently good composition, great focus, etc. Very little of her work is INCREDIBLE, though.

The other photographer has some images that are unbelievable. They look like art, something you'd see in a high fashion magazine. But other photos are just blah. I would say 15% incredible, 50% good, and the rest just blah.

I know I don't need all of the photos to be good. Only a limited number will go in an album and maybe one or two will get framed and hung. Both photographers are around the same price. I haven't met up with either in person. We've only exchanged emails but both have been really helpful and friendly.

What would you do?

Re: Consistently good, or sometimes great?

• I'd keep looking.
  • The other photographer has some images that are unbelievable. They look like art, something you'd see in a high fashion magazine. But other photos are just blah. I would say 15% incredible, 50% good, and the rest just blah. 
    These images are usually dependent on the wedding more than the photog. If EVERYTHING is exceptional it is the photog, if it is a few amazing shots it is probably the location, the outfit, the timing or it is a set up shot  - and the guests are probably enduing  rude gap so the B&G can get the pic.

If a photog has 35% blah - and not just blah bc you don't care about the family portraits, but eyes are closed, blurry images, bad cropping, etc - do not hire them.

Consistently excellent is what I looked for…but I knew I didn't want images that looked like a magazine shoot. What are you really going to do with an angsty shot or you both staring in opposite directions in a corn field? The consistently excellent images front he ceremony are what will matter 30 years form now.

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thanks!! I should also mention that of the many photographers we have spoken to that are within our budget, these are the two favorites. I know because of our limited budget that we won't be able to get our dream photographer, so we need to compromise on something. @photokitty good point about the corn field shot :P consistency may be the way to go
  • Consistency is key. You don't want to go with a photographer who has a 35 percent rate of blah shots, this leaves a great amount of room for error. That means your wedding could have a ton of shots where the heads are cut off, you aren't framed properly, dad has his eyes closed and the images are blurry. If you go with the constantly good photographer you could pull out her artistic side a little and ask for edgier photos, different angles, play on shadows and lighting more, these may not come out fantastic and super artsy but it'll get you a more edgier and artist photos.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    This is a red flag to me that some of the photos are fine art gallery worthy and some are really blah. There is a huge problem in the photography industry right now where people are stealing other photographer's work and showcasing it as their own. If you go with awesome/blah person make sure you ask to see a full wedding from one of the awesome shots. If they can't show it to you, run.
  • @lc07 makes a good point about photographers with inconsistent portfolios. Here's an excellent article about how to avoid getting scammed by a photographer who might stealing others' work.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Thanks @emmyg65 and extra points for the link! I have a friend who's a professional photographer who's work was stolen. It really sucks. Her work was WAY better than most of the work on the theif's site. She reported him to stopstealingphotos.com and sent a cease and desist, etc. 

This happens. Probably fairly frequently.
  • Hi all! I have a photographer dilemma and was wondering what you all would do. I'm trying to decide between two photographers. Both do good work. One is consistently excellent. All of her photos are good, crisp, consistently good composition, great focus, etc. Very little of her work is INCREDIBLE, though. The other photographer has some images that are unbelievable. They look like art, something you'd see in a high fashion magazine. But other photos are just blah. I would say 15% incredible, 50% good, and the rest just blah. I know I don't need all of the photos to be good. Only a limited number will go in an album and maybe one or two will get framed and hung. Both photographers are around the same price. I haven't met up with either in person. We've only exchanged emails but both have been really helpful and friendly. What would you do?
    Go with a first one who is consistently excellent.
    But here is a question though. How do you know for sure that this photographer is that consistent?
    From a website or from a private meeting where you had a chance to look at the large series of photos?
  • I asked both photographers to show me full weddings. They both have stunning work on their portfolios but one produces consistently good work while the other is hit or miss unfortunately.
  • I would go with the one who is consistent. I do photography as well and modeled for years, consistency is key. Those stunning shots are probably 20 minutes each of getting it exactly right. But if you are still torn, ask for references and speak with a couple brides and see what they think.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards