Wedding Party

Bridesmaids troubles!!!

So I picked all my bridesmaids awhile ago before the ring, and they included my two little in the sorority as MOH, my best friend from high school my brothers wife and my fiancées sister. Me and his sister get along fine, she's the type who wants all the attention and she just got married in July and expected everyone to be excited 24/7 and got mad if we weren't. Well since the day we got engaged, I feel like she hasn't been excited I texted her multiple times to go see the dress I picked out which was not expensive at all, but it took her 6 months later to go and afterwards she complained about the fit and the color and the style and how much it would cost in alterations. Whenever I bring up the wedding to his mom and sister they are like we'll with my wedding we did this and it was perfect, why are you spending so much on yours. I appreciate the advice but his sister has been married 3 times, this is my only and first and I want it to be special. Yesterday I guess my MOH and her got into a fight about the bridal shower costing a lot, which I agree it alots, and now she wants out, I feel like in the middle and she's using this as an excuse because she doesn't want to be a bridesmaid.

Re: Bridesmaids troubles!!!

• Ditto Doeydo. 

I get the impression she was told, not asked what she would be paying both for the dress and for this shower. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  •  I feel like in the middle and she's using this as an excuse because she doesn't want to be a bridesmaid.
    Maybe she still wants to be a bridesmaid but she doesn't want to pay for an expensive shower and an expensive, ill-fitting dress?
  • You should talk to her and tell her if she isn't going to act like a bridesmaid, she doesn't have to be one!!! 

• Bad move, @twinklestaar. A wedding is a party, and it's not worth fostering bad blood between OP and her FSIL.
  • Her FSIL is already fostering it by how she is acting. She obviously doesn't want to be in the wedding anyway, so why should the bride put up with her negative attitude?

´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.★
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)★ Love, Star
    …(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.★

• No wedding is worth bad feelings between you and your FSIL. That's potentially years of misery on both ends over one day.
  • Her FSIL is already fostering it by how she is acting. She obviously doesn't want to be in the wedding anyway, so why should the bride put up with her negative attitude?

´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

Because few things cause more family drama then kicking the grooms sister out of your bridal party. Makes Christmas AWKWARD.

Also, the Brides best move for limiting the "negative attitude" would be to back away from any non-necessary wedding talk. 

Anniversary

´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

Oh brother. How is she having a negative attitude? I'd be pissed too if someone just chose a dress without asking me my budget, or even letting me try it on. That's not a nice thing to do. There were many dresses that I thought were pretty and they looked and fitted like shit on the girls so obviously we kept looking until we found one they loved. I would never be like you must get this crap that doesn't fit you and costs this much money. And she should have been asked beforehand if she wanted to contribute to the bridal shower and how much? You don't just tell someone you owe this. These are your friends, don't treat them like crap because "it's my day". 

• @clanders10, your MOH should have asked your FSIL if and how much she would like to contribute toward the shower. I'd be upset, too, if someone planned a party and then tried to bill me for it. Your MOH was also wrong to tell you about the argument over the shower. It's up to her to resolve the problem without causing problems between you and your FILs. 

As for the FILs making comments about your wedding budget, the solution is simple. Don't discuss the details with them. They need to know dates and times, that's it. 

• So I picked all my bridesmaids awhile ago before the ring, and they included my two little in the sorority as MOH, my best friend from high school my brothers wife and my fiancées sister. Me and his sister get along fine, she's the type who wants all the attention and she just got married in July and expected everyone to be excited 24/7 and got mad if we weren't. Well since the day we got engaged, I feel like she hasn't been excited I texted her multiple times to go see the dress I picked out which was not expensive at all, but it took her 6 months later to go and afterwards she complained about the fit and the color and the style and how much it would cost in alterations. Whenever I bring up the wedding to his mom and sister they are like we'll with my wedding we did this and it was perfect, why are you spending so much on yours. I appreciate the advice but his sister has been married 3 times, this is my only and first and I want it to be special. Yesterday I guess my MOH and her got into a fight about the bridal shower costing a lot, which I agree it alots, and now she wants out, I feel like in the middle and she's using this as an excuse because she doesn't want to be a bridesmaid.
    Wow, that's judgey.And unless you have access to a crystal ball, you have no way of knowing this will be your only wedding.

If you don't like the comments they make about your wedding plans, stop talking with them about your wedding plans. Problem solved.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    So I picked all my bridesmaids awhile ago before the ring, and they included my two little in the sorority as MOH, my best friend from high school my brothers wife and my fiancées sister. Me and his sister get along fine, she's the type who wants all the attention and she just got married in July and expected everyone to be excited 24/7 and got mad if we weren't. Well since the day we got engaged, I feel like she hasn't been excited I texted her multiple times to go see the dress I picked out which was not expensive at all, but it took her 6 months later to go and afterwards she complained about the fit and the color and the style and how much it would cost in alterations. Whenever I bring up the wedding to his mom and sister they are like we'll with my wedding we did this and it was perfect, why are you spending so much on yours. I appreciate the advice but his sister has been married 3 times, this is my only and first and I want it to be special. Yesterday I guess my MOH and her got into a fight about the bridal shower costing a lot, which I agree it alots, and now she wants out, I feel like in the middle and she's using this as an excuse because she doesn't want to be a bridesmaid.
    You aren't going to like my response.
    You picked your bridesmaids before you got your engagement ring?  What!? You should wait until about 7 months before the ceremony to choose your wedding party.
    You FSIL is not excited about your wedding?  Why should she be?  It is YOUR wedding.
    Your FSIL has been married three times, and you think you will never get divorced?  Why, how unsympathetic and naive you are!  You are judging her, and I'm guessing she already knows that.
    She is probably wishing that her brother had chosen someone else.
    You have not mentioned your fiance once in this self centered ramble.  It is all "ME!  ME!  ME!
    Step back and ask yourself what is more important to you - your wedding, or your fiance and his family.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @TwinkleStaar, I suspect you're an AE ;-)

• I get that you're upset with FSIL, especially since she expected everyone to be so excited for her wedding but isn't acting the same way about yours. I understand how frustrating that must be but I really think you need to be the bigger person here as it could end up having huge repercussions if you're not. If you didn't privately ask about budget before selecting the BM dress, etc, I would apologize for that. (I know it's hard to do and we don't like apologizing, especially to people that we feel have not been considerate or apologized when they have done wrong. But two wrongs, don't make a right.) It sounds like there are positive people in your life who are happy for you so focus on them. Don't expect FSIL to contribute to any parties or share in wedding discussions and you won't be disappointed.
  • My advice is to get any ill feelings out of the way ASAP! My cousin had her SIL as her MOH even though they had issues and after the rehearsal dinner (the night before the wedding), they got in a physical fight in the venue parking lot worthy of Bridezilla. Needless to say, she dropped out of the wedding and never even showed her face the day of, not even to support her brother. 
  • Blue_Bird said:
    @TwinkleStaar, I suspect you're an AE ;-)

Applications engineer? haha. what does AE stand for?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AE = alter ego. Essentially fake account for one of the regs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards