Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Anyone with vegetarian guests? Hors D'Ouevres Question

Our wedding will be fairly small 70 people. Of the 70 guest only have 1 vegetarian and I want to make sure she is hosted just as well as our other guests. We will be serving 4 tray passed Hors D'Ouevres at the cocktail hour. My question is how many of the 4 options need to be vegetarian? I am worried only 1 option is too little, but half seems like a lot considering all of the other guests. 

There will be a great vegetarian option at dinner of course, just wondering if any of you ladies are encountering the same situation. 

Re: Anyone with vegetarian guests? Hors D'Ouevres Question

• crackktheskyycrackktheskyy member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Why would 2 vegetarian options be too many? Plenty of delicious hors-d'oeuvres are vegetarian friendly and liked by more than just vegetarians! Do something that many people might like. It gives some variety. Plus, I know plenty of people that aren't vegetarians but don't like a ton of meat heavy appetizers. Just because you are better accommodating the one guest doesn't mean your other guests won't enjoy it, too!

Some examples of things we might do, if it helps! (I have 3 vegetarians just in my bridal party!):

- wild mushroom phyllo logs
    - sweet onion, goat cheese, and thyme tart
    - vegetable quiche
    - spinach and artichoke wonton flower cup
    - raspberry and brie crisps
    - spanakopita
    - sweet potato puffs
  • edited March 2014
    Vegetarian passed apps can be amazing! We are doing 10 passed apps and 4 are vegetarian. We are having:

Balsamic glazed figs and goat cheese
    Fresh corn fritters with avocado cilantro dip
    Artichoke and Brie tartlet
    Sweet potato fries in a cone with garlic mayo and basil salt

I do not think having 2 would be bad or unfair to meat eaters. I also think having only 1 of 4 is fine.
  • Yeah, meat isn't required for food to be delicious. We had 5 passed apps - 1 chicken, 2 seafood, 2 vegetarian (1 of which was vegan friendly). I'm almost certain we didn't have any vegetarian guests. All I've heard was how delicious the food was.
  • Most of our apps will likely be vegetarian, because they sound amazing, and are cheaper per piece so we can offer more volume/variety. Some options we're deciding between: 

• baked brie en croute with fresh berries (this is a definite, it's my favorite thing ever)
    • oven-dried tomato/chevre cheese on puff pastry with basil oil
    • foraged wild mushrooms/white truffle oil/parmesan crisp on baguette
    • vegetarian mini quiche
    • spanakopita... 
    meat options are either: 
    • mini crab cake or bacon-wrapped scallop
    • kobe beef slider with red pepper aioli or turkey meatball with cranberry barbecue sauce. 

• We have to choose off of the venues menu, and I'm not excited about many of their vegetarian options. Maybe I can ask them if they can come up with something different.
  • Hmm that stinks. I think you're safe with one veggie option if you really don't like the other ones, I would just make sure there's a little extra of it to ensure the vegetarian can have as much of it as he or she wants, once it's also eaten from by the meat eaters. :) I have a vegetarian friend (and have spurts of time when I give up meat, like Lent) so I often being veg appetizers to parties, and I know it's frustrating when everyone eats from it and it runs out - everyone else has other options to choose from, but vegetarians are out of luck.

• jay788jay788 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    I'd ask the venue to come up with something different if you don't like the vegetarian options. Maybe suggest vegetarian-izing a meat one that sounds good.

ETA: Only 1 of our 5 apps (3 passed, 2 stationary) has meat in it. That's somewhat coincidental though. We are expecting 100 guests and maybe 5ish vegetarians.
  • Our wedding will be fairly small 70 people. Of the 70 guest only have 1 vegetarian and I want to make sure she is hosted just as well as our other guests. We will be serving 4 tray passed Hors D'Ouevres at the cocktail hour. My question is how many of the 4 options need to be vegetarian? I am worried only 1 option is too little, but half seems like a lot considering all of the other guests. 

There will be a great vegetarian option at dinner of course, just wondering if any of you ladies are encountering the same situation. 
    As PPs mentioned, I think there are plenty of delicious vegetarian apps that non-vegetarians would love too!  Are you having any stationary tables with cheeses, dips, veggies, etc?  That would help balance it out if you did only have 1 app.
  • I would definitely ask if they can do something else for you- most caterers will if you ask.  There are some great options listed here from PPs.  Here are mine.

We had a sushi bar with several option, two of which were vegetarian.  We also had a mashed potato bar and all but one topping was vegetarian.  We had 6 passed apps, 3 of which were vegetarian.  
    They were:
    Goat cheese stuffed figs with crushed pistachio and lavender honey
    Gruyere grilled cheese and tomato bisque shooters
    Arancini with roasted red pepper and garlic mayo
  • @bluebirdmb those sound delish! Thanks for the advice.
  •  
    As PPs mentioned, I think there are plenty of delicious vegetarian apps that non-vegetarians would love too!  Are you having any stationary tables with cheeses, dips, veggies, etc?  That would help balance it out if you did only have 1 app.

I agree, if you are having the stationary tables with the veggies/cheese it would balance out if you only choose one vegetarian butlered hors d'ouevre, since you're limited in what is offered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards