Chit Chat

say yes to the dress!

How many dresses did you try on before you found your dress? Is your dress the dress you've always dreamed of or did you fall in love with something else?

Re: say yes to the dress!

• WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Too many.  Over 100 for sure.  I tried on mine 4 times before I bought it.  I never really dreamed on a dress, but I think it was my style.  And it was as close to gold as I could find.  

ETA - bad spelling or a broken keyboard

• probably about a dozen. But I knew my dress was "the dress" before I ever saw it in person. 
    Anniversary
  • I tried on 12 and bought the 12th. I had a favourite already but when I tried on my dress I got teared up and it just felt right. I tried on my first favourite again and it didn't compare.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I probably tried on about 12-15 dresses. I knew it was my dress on the 15th when I didn't want to try on any more and I spent about a half hour in it. The poor consultant kept coming and going because I was so unsure if I wanted to pay now (they give a special discount if you buy on your first visit). 

I ended up getting it and I'm extremely happy with my choice. I didn't get emotional (crying), but I was happy and did the waist twirl for about 15 minutes. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • I tried on between 14 and 15 dresses. I remember when I put on the dress I picked out, I looked down and said to the sales associate "this is the dress I always wanted to wear since I was a little girl". I came out of the dressing room to show my mom and she HATED it. I asked everyone how they felt about it, and everyone loved the dress so I went back to the store by myself for a little bit, then my MOH showed up and I just fell in love with the dress. I can't wait to get it!

I didn't have a crying moment though. I probably will when the actual dress comes in and I have all my accessories on with it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I think I tried on like 5 dresses, maybe 6.  I bought the first one I tried on.  I never dreamed about a wedding dress.  I am a dress girl so I just shopped like any other shopping trip and picked out the one I liked best - it's gorgeous, no regrets.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I probably tried on about 20 at two stores. I had a favorite at the first store which was like my fifth dress there and two favorites at the second. The one I ended up buying was probably the eighteenth dress I tried on and the other two didn't compare in my mind. I teared up and didn't want to take it off.

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I think I tried on about 12 or 14 dresses. I bought the 4th one I tried on at a second appointment. I didn't have a crying moment but I knew it was it because up until that point I had felt incredibly indecisive about everything else I had tried on even though there were about 2 other dresses that looked absolutely beautiful on me. When I saw it for the second time in the store and then put it on I knew it was what I wanted to wear for the wedding. I didn't have a crying fit and neither did my mom or sister but we all agreed it was definitely the dress.

• I tried on close to 40 I knew which one my dress was after about 20, but my mom insisted we continue to go dress shopping to make sure it was the one.  I think she just liked going dress shopping with me.

Anniversary

• I bought the 3rd one I tried on, but I ended up trying on maybe 15-20?

I really just had a blast hanging out with my sister, Mom, and FMIL.  They weren't crazy about the dress at first, but I gave 0 fucks because it was my favorite, and WAY less expensive than the group favorite .  They ended up loving it as well after I had the veil on and whatnot.  (Or they are really good liars, which I appreciate.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I tried on 10 and bought the 10th one. Actually, I tried on 13 I think because my friends insisted I try on some styles they thought would look good. They didn't. And I was set on number 10. 

The style I chose is exactly the opposite of what I thought I wanted. 
  • I tried on 5 or 6.  After I tried on THEE dress, I stopped looking.  I knew that was the one and there was no reason for me to look any further :)  My dress is pretty much exactly what I had in mind.  I knew I wanted mermaid style, sweetheart neckline, with ruching and a tulle skirt. I also did not want much, if any, embellishments and thats exactly what I got.
    Anniversary

• I haven't tried on any dresses, because there's only one bridal salon here which has exactly zero dresses I liked, and getting an appointment at a bridal salon in the city for a date I could actually make is impossible. I'm having my dress made by a local designer (which is not nearly as grand as it sounds), but I must have looked at 600 dresses online before I decided what I would ask her for.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I tried on 0. I bought my dress online and tried it on for the first time when it arrived in the mail.  I knew I was going to get a vintage dress but I was just looking at different styles of dress online when I found it.  Its not exactly what I pictured but its pretty close.  I imagined 3/4 to full length sleeves and buttons up the back and it has capped sleeves and no buttons but as soon as I saw this dress I knew it was supposed to be mine.  I was worried it wouldn't fit me but it fits perfectly. 

After watching wedding shows (like say yes to the dress) I realized that I would not be good in a situation where even a couple of people were critiquing/expressing their opinions about what I should wear so I figured I would shop for and find my dress on my own anyway.
  • I knew already what style i wanted but I tried on a total of 6 dresses. It was my first visit and the 4th dress I tried on. I slept on it!!! I tried it on again right before I ordered it just to reaffirm that's what i wanted. I made it a point to STOP looking after that!
  • I purchased the first dress I put on :) I fell in love with it online and it looked even more amazing on. I was on the fence about getting it so I tried on like 6 more dresses in all different styles just to be sure. But I just kept wanting to put that one back on. Also, it was on SALE! So I bought it that day. Can't wait to wear it next month :)
  • I tried on about two dozen dresses over about 8 months, and the one that I ended up buying was on a visit that had nothing to do dress shopping. It wasn't what I thought I'd buy, but when I put it on, I knew. Bought it off the rack, because it fit to a T!
  • Probably 15-20. Too many. I don't advise going to more than a couple appointments. 
  • I went to a bridal consignment shop and tried on 4 dresses in different styles just to see what shape I liked best (I had zero intention of buying). Didn't like any of them on me. I ended up buying my dress on eBay for almost nothing, and it's perfect.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I went shopping the first time about a year before the wedding.  It was the WORST experience.  The sales people didn't help or make any suggestions and the 8 dresses I tried on made me look awful.  I'm short and a bit overweight so nothing fit and it was hard to even imagine what I would actually look like.  And there were a gazillion other brides and entourages there.  I was extremely depressed and refused to go shopping again.

Six months later, I felt like it was time to try again.  I purposefully scheduled it for the day I did my first makeup trial and had my hair done.  It was also my birthday so I took the day off.  Mom and I went to a tiny little dress shop close to my place.  It was AWESOME.  Everything the sales girl suggested looked amazing on me.  I was the only bride there.  I chose the place because they had a Justin Alexander trunk show going on.  The JA rep was there and ended up taking a picture of me in the dress and sending it to JA who replied that I was the type of person the dress was made for.  When I told them I wanted it cut short, the JA rep said it was a great idea.  (He may have just been trying to make a sale, but I didn't care - it was so different from my first fitting.)  I had them hold 4 of the dresses and went back the next day with one other friend and made the decision.  I was so happy with it.

(Yay for twirling)

Anniversary
  • I probably tried on between 20 and 30 dresses. I never kept count. I bought the second dress I tried on at the third store I went to. I still tried on about 8 more dresses, but I kept comparing it to the second one. At the end of my appointment I tried it back on, and that was it!
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I first went to David's where i tried maybe 10 or so dresses. I didn't love anything, a couple where okay. then a few weeks later I went to a bridal boutique where I ended up getting my dress. I tried on about 5 or 6 there. The one i purchased was the second to last i tried. I tried on one other that i loved as well. I put mine back on to compare and while they were very similar, the one i choose i loved slighty more. It was exactly what I was imagining - fit and flare, lace, sweet heart neckline, with a belt
  • I tried on between 20 and 30 dresses at three different places. I came back to one of the places thinking I'd buy the dress that I was pretty sure was "the one," but I saw another dress on the mannequin that I had tried on once but dismissed quickly because I didn't think it was the most flattering. When I saw it on the mannequin again though, I had to try it on again along with the dress that I thought was the one. I am so glad I did, because the mannequin dress ended up being the one! After clipping it, I realized it was flattering after all, and it is so gorgeous. I'm so happy with it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I tried on 0. I bought my dress online and tried it on for the first time when it arrived in the mail.  .........

After watching wedding shows (like say yes to the dress) I realized that I would not be good in a situation where even a couple of people were critiquing/expressing their opinions about what I should wear so I figured I would shop for and find my dress on my own anyway.
    ME TOO!  :)  

• I think about 8-10 dresses.  Found my dress on the second outing, first shop of the day/first dress. I tried on 3 or 4 after that one and knew it was it so we bought it and I cancelled my afternoon appointment at another salon.

I never dreamed of my dress, but thought I wanted something simple and not strapless... but I ended up loving a strapless lace dress with crystals.  I could not deny that was totally me! 

Anniversary
  • I tried on 5 at David's Bridal. I thought dress 5 was the one. It was the one I had picked out online and it looked pretty good. I had a second appointment at the boutique in the afternoon and I was having fun shopping with my friends, so we decided to go. We picked out 6 dresses there, 4 to try for real and 2 crazy ones for fun. Dress 3 at the boutique turned out to be the one. It looked more expensive than the one at David's, but cost less. It took me a couple weeks to commit to the dress because there was one dress online I really liked, but the closest boutique was over an hour drive away. Once I found out that this other dress was $200 more than Dress 3, I bought Dress 3.

I think I am oddly proportioned and I knew that sweetheart neckline and A-line suit me best. I did try on some mermaid and trumpet dresses that mostly looked ok, but I ended up with a sweetheart neckline ball gown, which is exactly what I pictured for myself.

Anniversary
  • Right after we got engaged, FI and I went to a wedding dress shop, just so I could get over my apprehension about shopping for a dress.  I tried on 3 or 4 dresses there.  When I actually went dress shopping, the 3rd dress out of 4 was the one.

Incidentally, it was a brand new dress from the Spring 2014 season that had arrived at the salon 1 week earlier.  The woman helping me pulled it as a sample sale dress, though it was not on sale.  I ended up getting a brand new dress for a sample sale price.  I had managed to randomly schedule my appointment for the 1 day a year they had their sample sale, which was the only way I would have been able to afford the dress.  Meant to be? 

• I tried on about 20. The first place I did not like. I didn't really fall for anything I tried on. There was one dress that was kind of out there that I thought was awesome, but it was cream and a sample. The next store was larger and I tried on more. The dress I ended up buying was the first one the consultant pulled for me, and the last one I tried on. I was waiting until the very end for it because I loved it so much.

In the end I love my dress... but I wish I tried on a few more out of the box dresses. That was my one shot to try on anything I wanted to, and I kept too close to the game plan. I should have tried on more than one mermaid dress, and one with crazy applique, and the awesome stripped dress that I knew I would not buy, but still loved.  As a result, when I picked up my dress from alterations I ended up having a little ting of doubt... did I really look hard enough? I LOVE my dress, I just feel like maybe there was something a little more special out there that I missed. 

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards