Attire & Accessories Forum

who to bring for trying on dresses

I am going to David's bridal at the end of the month to try on dressed for the first time. I am looking to bring my MOD and my mother but my FH wants me to bring his sister and his mom. I want it to be fun and laid back and not so crowed and his mother is also very judgmental. Would it be wrong if I just brought my mom and MOH. please let me know who came with you for the first apt.

Re: who to bring for trying on dresses

• To my first appointment I brought my stepmom and MOH. I find the fewer people the better, that way you don't have too many opinions conflicting. I went again today and brought just my sister. I found this more comfortable, perhaps because there was noone else in the salon and I liked my consultant much better than at the first place.

The most important thing I would say is to bring people you are comfortable with because at the end of the day your own opinion and comfort are the most important. Once you have chosen you can always bring other friends and family to fittings; this will limit interference in your selection process.
  • I brought my mom and my sister with. I wanted people that would be supportive and who I could have fun with. I also did not want to have very many people with. Ever what those say yes to the dress shows where the bride brings like 20 people with and everyone and has different opinion? Yea that sounded like a nightmare to me!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I brought my Mom and MoH to my first dress appointment. We also sent pictures to another BM. My second dress appointment was my Mom, my MoH and a different BM. 

Keep it small, and bring people who are supportive. 

Anniversary
  • I had my mom, sister (MOH) and two of my BM. I brought people with me who would be supportive but yet honest in loving way. 
  • I mostly went by myself.  When I brought others with me, I felt them push me towards dresses I did not love.

Anniversary
  • I went with my mom and my future MIL.  I knew my mom would be honest, but I also wnated to get a second opinion from the future MIL.  At the end of the day they had different opinions, but they both really liked one dress...the dress I picked!! I'm not sure if it was the way it flattered my shape (plus size bride) or just that once I wore it I had that added glow of excitment.
  • I didn't want a crowd, so I only brought my mom and sister (MOH). They are the only one whose opinions I cared about. 
  • I went shopping two separate times and each time it wa sonly me and my mom. I did want my MOH to come but she is in grad school and he schedule is hectic so she couldn't make it. I think a small crowd was best for me beause my bridal party is pretty big and I didn't want ot leave anyone out. I guess my reasoning is different than PPs in that I wouldn't mind all of the opinions because I usually know what I like and dislike.

• So I handled this scenario by going in rounds. For my first few appointments, I had only my mom and two sisters with me.

Then, once I thought I knew the dress I wanted and had a 2-3 other favorites, I invited FMIL to come along when I went back to try on the dress again so she could see me in the dress and a couple others I liked.

It worked out pretty well; FMIL got to feel included, but I got to have the dress time with my mom and sisters.
  • i took my mom with me to my very first dress try on' s we didnt like anything plus it was way to early for me to start dress shopping ( this was a consigment place so its more purchase and take home)  then in the summer second appointment i took my mom my sister and one of my aunts, third appointment i did the same i didn't want to overwhelm myself in dress try ons
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

The first time I went to look at dresses I brought my mom, fmil, and a good friend.   I went another time (where I ended up buying) and brought my mom, 2 sister in laws and my future sister in law.  I would have invited my fmil as well, but she had to work and it was the only weekend i had available to go. 

• I brought my mom, my FMIL, MOH and my other best friend. 
  • My first appointment I brought my MOH but she was on her phone most of the time Tweeting, so I asked if my mom could come in from NY to go dress shopping with me. Thankfully she did, so we did three appointments (two with just the two of us, the 3rd with my MOH and a BM). The final decision dress shopping I went by myself and my MOH showed up later.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I went dress shopping the first time with just one BM. I had a really bad time, did not have fun, not because of my BM but because I felt so ugly in all the dresses I put on. 

The second time I went, I went alone, because I had felt so self conscious the first time. On the second time I feel in love with two dresses. I made a second appointment with the same store to bring back my Mom and a cousin to help me make the final decision. 

I would recommend either going alone or bringing a small group who makes you feel comfortable the first time you go. Narrow the dresses down to 2 or 3 tops picks and then consider inviting the other ladies, letting them know that one of these dresses will be your dress so keep the thoughts positive! 

Also, I paid for my own dress and my Mom tends to be frugal, I didn't want the price of the dress to effect her opinion so I asked her not to ask the price since I wasn't asking for her help with purchasing it, I think this helped to ease a lot of tension and negative thoughts at mine. 

Good luck!
  • I went with my mom. My MOH was supposed to come, but the weather prevented her from making the trip. One shop and 7 dresses later, the gown was in my car heading home. I wish my MOH could have come, but I know my mom loved having the one on one experience with me.
  • My VERY first appointment I brought Fi (I knew I'd have an emotional breakdown and needed him there to support me). I went to a few shops by myself, and a few with my mom and my three best girlfriends (I'm not having a WP). I ended up finding my dress while shopping by myself.
  • My very first appointment was about 6 months before I started seriously dress shopping.  For that appointment I brought my mom & sister.  We also sent photos via text message to my other sister during the appointment to get her opinions. 

My next appointment I just took my mom, but still sent photos to my sisters of any dresses we really liked. I did send the best one or two to my FMIL also.

After that, I went to all my appointments alone, but still sent photos to everyone of the best options. I was able to get their opinions without so much drama and stress. The only problem with going alone is if you get insufficient service from the bridal consultants.  I had a few places where they were wonderful, were focused just on helping me, and offered to take my photos for me. Then I had a couple places that were overbooked & understaffed, I barely got any help, it took 5 minutes to have someone help zip up my dresses, and I had to take my own photos in the mirror. For those places where I had bad service, it would have been nice to have one person with me to help out.

Usually, the fewer people the better.  If you bring a whole group, it can get frustrating, especially if they all have varying opinions on what you should wear. You may end up feeling pulled in a lot of different directions and not really able to focus on what YOU want. But, it could turn out fine also... it's hard to know for sure.  

• As an avid Say Yes to the Dress watcher, I know that women who bring a larger crowd usually have tons of opinions and the bride usually gets hurt and/or frustrated.  I plan on only bringing my mother.  Your OP kind of pisses me off.  If he wants his mom and sister to go pick out wedding attire then he can invite them to when he goes shopping for suits; he should not pressure you into inviting them out of some obligation.
  • I was thinking my moh and mom

• I went dress shopping with my mom, my grandma, and my sister (MOH) the evening that FI and I got engaged. We went to our local David's Bridal, and I tried on about 6 or 7 dresses before we all fell in love with the same one.

Two months later- after I lost a few pounds, found the right shoes, and my mom paid off the dress- I invited FMIL, FI's sister (also a BM), a third BM and her daughter (Junior BM) to be there in addition to mom, sister, and grandma when I tried everything back on with shoes. I wanted to include FI's mom and sister somehow but I didn't want to be overwhelmed with too many opinions. I get reaaaaallllly bitchy when it comes to trying on clothes and there are too many voices trying to tell me something looks good when I don't FEEL good in it. I knew I didn't want that atmosphere for my wedding dress decision. 

The way I organized my "fitting" with everyone, the dress was already bought. No one could say "oh, but what about this one or that one?" The decision was already final. It turned out great, I loved having everyone in the same room for once, and it looked like I'm getting to order a dress at least one size smaller. :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I brought my mom and his mom, and my MOH lives out of state, but was "there" via FaceTime. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Together we chose the perfect dress and I cannot wait for him to see me in it on our wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You should bring people who will be supportive of you and your opinions, and help you to achieve the look you want on your wedding day. Don't bring people who will try to give you their opinions of how they want you to look. 
  • Only bring those you feel comfortable with, if your FMIL is judgemental, leave her home. I have only gone with my FMIL and FI's grandmom because my own mom is judgemental and downright bitchy...I think it's much more relaxing to have honest, loving people with you who will be able to share the excitment and emotions of the moment when you find "the dress."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards