Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Legal Officiant

How can you tell if your officiant is legal to marry you? I know that the state of Tennessee does not recognize marriages performed by internet ordained ministers. Is there somewhere you can find ones that are legal? Is there some sort of documentation I can ask them for as proof? I'm nervous! Help! :)

Re: Legal Officiant

• Ask the clerk of court for the county in which you are marrying about the requirements. They may even be able to provide you with a list of people.
  • I asked our officiant to provide me with a copy of his credentials to verify that he is legit. Your officiant should be able to provide you with something upon request.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I also live in TN and actually in some counties will accept the Universal Life Church ordination. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • KGold80 said:
    I asked our officiant to provide me with a copy of his credentials to verify that he is legit. Your officiant should be able to provide you with something upon request.
    Yea, this.  What kind of officiant are you looking for?  If you are looking for a religious one, find out what his church is and go on a Sunday morning to make sure he actually is a pastor and has a congregation.

As for if you're looking for a secular or are not particular, I'm sure they can provide you with some sort of documentation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards