Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What would you drink?

KittyKaty20KittyKaty20 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited April 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Cocktail hour starts at 3pm, reception ends at 7pm. We'll serve a signature cocktail (rum and blood orange), two beers, a chardonnay, and a pinot noir. Our meal is eggplant parmisagna and chicken marsala. What would you be most likely to drink?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

What would you drink? 171 votes

Beer
5% 10 votes
White wine
24% 42 votes
Red wine
22% 39 votes
Signature Cocktail
30% 53 votes
A bit of everything
15% 27 votes

Re: What would you drink?

• Options
    That early, I would have a glass of wine or a signature cocktail. And probably just one.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I put a bit of everything, but it also depends. Is the beer more like Bud & Coors or Left Hand and Kane? I won't drink BMC beers, but I'll support craft breweries any day.
  • Options
    I'd probably drink the signature drink during cocktail hour and white wine with dinner.
  • Options
    During cocktail hour, I might do the signature cocktail, but most likely stick with red wine (I don't particularly like white) because I'd have red with the dinner and like to stick to one type of booze per night. 

The signature cocktail though- if it's hot, that's probably what I'd go for. Because it sounds like a good hot weather drink. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I actually prefer a dry wedding (I'm not a huge drinker, I'll drink but on occasion...I'm also picky and like to stick with shots only...that i nurse lol) I'd probably actually stick with a pop but if the signature cocktail is yummy I'd probably partake in one or maybe a few if I'm in the mood. White wine I'll drink if it's a sweet wine. Red is to bitter for me. Beer makes me sick
  • Options
    I'd try your signature cocktail because that sounds tasty, and then have wine with dinner. I might have a beer too, or just stick with wine, depending on the options. DH would drink beer. We're really easy to please and will drink anything, alcohol-wise. :)
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    That's early for anything but beer and wine
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I put a bit of everything, but it also depends. Is the beer more like Bud & Coors or Left Hand and Kane? I won't drink BMC beers, but I'll support craft breweries any day.
    hey sista soul sista
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    A signature cocktail during cocktail hour, because that does sound delicious. After that, whether I chose beer or wine with dinner (just one either way) would depend entirely on how good the beer selection was.
  • Options
    One glass of white wine, perhaps two at the very outside.
  • Options
    I generally don't drink but that signature cocktail looks delicious.  I might have one during cocktail hour, even though it would be early.  I would likely go non-alcoholic during dinner.
  • Options
    I would probably have a signature cocktail or tro and two glasses of white wine.
  • Options
    I don't like beer or wine so signature cocktail it is.
  • Options
    I would normally drink wine, but I hate Chardonnay. So I would probably have two signature cocktails and then just water or soda after.
  • Options
    I tend to drink red wine at weddings, sometimes beer.  I rarely mix alcohol, so what i start out with is what I drink throughout the night.    I don't drink rum so that would be out.

DH is a vodka drinker, I'm not sure what he would pick.  I'm guessing red wine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'd probably drink white wine (I don't usually like red wine or beer) or something nonalcoholic.  I might drink a signature cocktail.
  • Options
    I just asked me FI and he said beer.
  • Options
    Signature cocktail, just one, with water. It sounds good.  Too early for anything else. I'd do white wine, if you had something other than chardonnay. I don't do red wine or beer, or soft drinks.  If I'm driving, my only choice would be water. 
  • Options
    Sig cocktail, unless that chardonnay is unoaked

Anniversary
  • Options
    Red wine or the signature cocktail. My fiance would drink beer. Neither of us would have more than one or two drinks given the time of day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Wine and probably red

Anniversary

• Options
    If the signature cocktail looked good, I might have one of those, otherwise red wine all the way!
  • Options
    Blood orange and rum sounds delicious so I'd probably have two. Most likely, I'd have a glass of pinot noir with my main course. 

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    I'd have the signature cocktail during cocktail hour then wine the rest of the evening.

I drink both red and white, though I'm not a fan of chardonnay. 
  • Options
    I would have to try the signature cocktail!

• Options
    Wine and signature.cocktail

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    lc07lc07 member

lyndausvi said:
    I have to say it's comical to hear all these replies saying it's too early to drink.   Very odd.     I honestly didn't know drinking had a start time?

I've been to many tailgate parties that started drinking well before noon.   Can't tell you how many boat trips I've been on that drinking stated before 10am.  My sister's reception started at noon.  The bar was hit hard and continued to be hit all day.  

On the boat I use to work on we started serving drinks after snorkeling.  That was normally around 10am on morning or all day trips.   After 2pm on afternoon trips.  Trust me people hit up the bar.

Maybe I come from a strange social circle.  We don't look at watches to determine if it's okay to drink or not.  If we are together celebrating we are drinking.  Time is irrelevant.
    ::shrugs::
    I'm with you, @lyndausvi
  • Options

Thank you all for your input!

My FIs parents are paying for the beer, wine, and champagne toast. They had asked how many people would drink wine vs. beer, red vs. white, as they have hosted a number of wine parties that skew red, but not many weddings. I figured this would be a great place to get a sampling of guests' preferences (I know what my friends drink when we go out, but I don't know about his side or our extended families).

For the record, the signature cocktail IS delicious-it's one part of coconut rum to four 1/2 parts blood orange Italian soda, poured over ice in an old fashioned. Add a sprig of mint or a wedge of lime and viola! Bubbly smooth goodness with equal parts bitter blood orange and sweet coconut.

Once again, thank you! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    edited April 2014
    I think beer is under-represented in the voting results. I'm not sure that we're an accurate sampling of what your guests would necessarily prefer. 

For one, I think we're mostly women voting and commenting. Also, personally, we have a lot of scotch and whisky drinkers in our circle whereas someone else's circle may be mostly non-drinkers or beer only drinkers, KWIM? 

There is a drink calculator somewhere (evite?) that gives you estimates of how much of what to buy for a range of preferences. Someone help me out here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards