Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for furniture?

Hi everyone - my apologies if this has been answered a million times, but I could only find one other thread about it, and there wasn't a definitive answer. Etiquette-wise, is it ok to register for furniture? Is there a hard and fast rule either way? 

Basically, my fiance and I really want to register for a bar a Crate and Barrel. It's only around $350, so it's not ridiculously expensive compared to a lot of traditional wedding gifts (like a KitchenAid mixer or Dyson vacuum or cookware set). I just don't want people to side-eye it just because it's furniture. 

Thoughts? Opinions?

Re: Registering for furniture?

• Personally the bar is borderline for me but probably okay...  Small furniture (end table, lamps, bookshelf, etc.) is okay.  Anything much more than that and I start to side-eye.

FYI the completion discount applies to furniture, so you don't have to put it on there just for the discount after the fact.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Ok, thanks. (I notice that you said bookshelf... for what it's worth, it's actually a bar that's built into a bookshelf. So we're good, right? :) )

I think that we'll go ahead and add it. It will be the most expensive item on our list, which is skewed towards low- to mid-priced items. 

I guess I'm just wondering if people think that ALL furniture is off-limits, or if there's an unspoken rule about what type of furniture it can be, or if it really has to do with how much it costs. 
  • I registered for a small wine bar that was $199). I more so put it on so I could buy it with the discount after the wedding, but we actually got it at my shower and I was so stoked.  My best friend went in on it with her mom and sister.  I think as long as it is not outrageous then it is fine.  People may choose to do a group gift and things like that come in handy. 

Anniversary
  • Allow me to caveat this by saying I am in furniture sales, so I love any opportunity for anyone to buy more furniture. Accent furniture, (side tables, bookshelves, ottomans) few people will side eye. I also personally think it is appropriate to put one piece of large upholstered furniture on a registry as well. Your bar should be fine. After all, you're both going to use it, and it is less expensive then a Kitchenaid stand mixer (unless your friends know how to shop sales)

Anniversary
  • edited March 2014
    I was going to say that I wouldn't side eye anything cheaper than a Kitchen Aide mixer…I wouldn't buy it bc I'd rather get the mixer with coupons for $200, but I wouldn't have a problem with you putting it on there. @chibiyui great minds ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I think it's fine. As PP's said, this also gives an oppertunity for a small group to go in on a gift together. I had a friend put a very expensive mattress on her registry, and I thought that was a little extreme. What you are suggeting is reasonable.
  • What about a patio set.  I don't care if people get it for me, I would just like to use my completion discount.  It is $800.  When should I put that on my registry so my guests do not think I expect such a lavish gift from them?.  Everything else I have registered for is less than $100.
  • What about a patio set.  I don't care if people get it for me, I would just like to use my completion discount.  It is $800.  When should I put that on my registry so my guests do not think I expect such a lavish gift from them?.  Everything else I have registered for is less than $100.

From what I remember seeing on here, most say putting it on the week before your wedding is ok. I wouldn't side eye it, but I also make money based on people buying furniture, so my opinion is biased. :)

Double check your registry terms, some places don't allow discounts on certain items, and some do not require the completion discount to be used on items on your registry.

Anniversary

Can you break it out and include the chairs and table as different registry items?  If you can you are in the clear by my standards.  If it only comes as a $800 set I would wait until just before the wedding to add it so you can get the completion discount (assuming it qualifies).
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Personally is I see furniture on a registry I assume the parents or grandparents are the reason it is not there, as in I assume they are going to buy it. Or that it is on there on completion. I might look at a patio set or changing table and think "who the heck would pay that much for that??" but then I just move on and don't really hold it against the bride pr mom to be. I think it's fine if you put it on there, but I would maybe wait until after the shower (if you have one).
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• For me, it's a proportional thing. One nice patio set or one nice sofa alongside plenty of inexpensive/mid grade selections, IMO, is fine. Somebody might even surprise you. I wouldnt side eye a few accent pieces that cost about the same as a good set of high end cookware.
    Load up on designer furniture, though, and it starts to seem gift grabby.
  • I personally wouldn't buy a physical gift if I couldn't put it in a box and bring it to the wedding, regardless of price.  I'm a boxed-gift giver.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards