Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress fabric

So I found the exact dress I was looking for. I am soooo excited but have one apprehension. It's 98% nylon and 2% spandex. Is this appropriate for a wedding dress? Or should I have it custom made in a different fabric?? I'm torn!! Here is a link to the dress:

http://www.lurelly.com/shop/dresses/the-lurelly-monaco-dress/

Thanks for any opinions/help!!!

Re: Dress fabric

• Have you tried it on?
  • No, I found it online and do not know of a retailer close by.
  • Perhaps you could contact them and find out where the nearest location that has that dress is: http://www.lurelly.com/contact-us/

I think you really need to try a dress on to find out if you like it in person, on your body, and while just standing/walking around (not in silly poses that are most likely photo-shopped).  
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Provided the fabric isn't see-through (ahem, Pnina Tornai), I don't think the fabric of a wedding dress matters much. 

I would, however, highly recommend you try on the dress before purchasing it (or make sure there is a return policy). Several dresses I loved and thought would compliment my figure didn't at all. I ended up with a dress that I'd have never purchased just from looking at it. 

Wedding dresses can be tricky & deceiving. Try before you buy! 
  • You should really try it on before purchasing it.  As to what fabric it is, there is not set rule that says your wedding dress has to be made of X, Y or Z fabric.  A wedding dress is just a dress that you wear on your wedding day.

• Wow, that dress is really pretty! It looks like the website accepts returns, so why not buy the dress? If you don't like it, you can always ship it back. FWIW, my dress was 100% polyester and it was fine. There are no rules for wedding dress fabric, other than that you like it.
  • I can't get past the ad copy saying the plunging low back will make any woman look classy. No. Not it will not at all. You shouldn't buy this dress or have it remade in another fabric unless you've tried it on and made sure your crack isn't showing at a minimum.
  • It actually really reminds me of that dress Hilary Swank wore to the Oscars the year she won.

• @Maggie0829- me too. But that was a couture dress perfectly tailored to fit and in navy, which makes a huge difference to me. This dress just looks cheap.
  • @Maggie0829- me too. But that was a couture dress perfectly tailored to fit and in navy, which makes a huge difference to me. This dress just looks cheap.
    Good points.  And I really liked the Hilary Swank dress except for the back, funny enough.

• I personally wouldn't be paying $400 for nylon, but that's me. Ditto trying it on before buying!

I'd also hate to wear this dress on a day where I'm eating and drinking without some serious spanx action.  
  • I think it's a pretty dress if you have the body for it, but I don't think it looks like a wedding dress at all.  It looks, evening gownish, and unless you are 5'10 and 125 pounds, with zero belly or bootie, that dress is probably going to look dramatically different on your body than it does on that model.
  • I actually like it but I do agree with what some others have said.  That dress will show ever bump or bulge and the fabric probably doesn't allow for the type of undergarments I would need to wear it.  But you know your body and your comfort level so if you know you like that style/fit for your clothes I would say wear it.  Nylon isn't my favorite fabric (because of its inability to disguise anything) but if you like it and it makes you feel beautiful then its the right fabric and dress.

And to be super repetitive: find somewhere to try it on or at least try on a similar style/fabric dress so you can be sure you like it.  Or find out what the returns policy is.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards