Moms and Maids

Don't Want My Sister As My MOH

I am getting married in a year, and I DO NOT want my sister as my MOH. We are not close at all, and never have been. I was actually shocked when she asked me to be her MOH a few years ago. My parents like to think our family is all lovey and close and that my sister and I are best friends, and they know that we are not. What should I do? I was thinking of just not designating a MOH, because my finance isn't... he has the same issue with his brother.

Re: Don't Want My Sister As My MOH

• The solution to your problem is that you just don't ask your sister to be your MOH.  If you don't want her in your WP at all then you don't have to ask her to be a BM either.

Your WP should consist of your nearest and dearest and there is no law stating that your siblings have to be in it.

• Then don't ask her.  I didn't have either of my sisters in my WP and although I think my mom would have liked it otherwise, it was my decision. 
  • edited June 2012
    Don't ask her to be MOH. If you want her in your WP as a BM, that's fine. Or you can not ask her at all. it's your decision and you should ask people who are close to you. Also since your wedding is still a year away, you can wait a few months to ask anybody.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_dont-want-my-sister-as-my-moh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:361b5004-d4fc-4c90-9fab-9b52a8efdbc6Post:52bd8997-25ff-43d0-b0e2-dd10540caf98">Don't Want My Sister As My MOH</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married in a year, and I DO NOT want my sister as my MOH. We are not close at all, and never have been. I was actually shocked when she asked me to be her MOH a few years ago. My parents like to think our family is all lovey and close and that my sister and I are best friends, and they know that we are not. What should I do? I was thinking of just not designating a MOH, because my finance isn't... he has the same issue with his brother.
    Posted by snowbabyx3[/QUOTE]

So don't ask her.

Problem solved.
  • Don't ask her then. You don't have to have her just because she had you. Nor do you even have to have her be a BM. 

If your mom or dad throws a fit, what's the worst that could happen????
  • I asked my sister to be my MOH because I thought it was the right thing to do. It's not that I regret it, I just wish I would have asked my closest friend instead. My sister and I aren't that close and she ended up not being involved other than showing up to the wedding (never acknowledged the shower or bachelorette party). I just don't think it meant as much to her as it would have to my friend. So from experience, if you don't want her as your MOH, don't ask her to be just because she's your sister.
  • I'm having the same problem.  My sister and I do not get along at all.  She is completely self-centered and has a very negative attitude.  I don't want her in my wedding party at all but she is throwing a fit about that and between her and my mother it has become world war 3.  I can't even enjoy my engagement period because of the drama she is causing.  For those of you saying "just don't ask her", how did you get out of the drama it causes when your family apparently doesn't respect your wishes?
  • Don't ask your sister to be your MOH.  If you have an MOH, which is not required, ask someone you are truly close to, and tell your family if there's any drama, "Look, Sister and I are not close, and Friend and I are.  The subject is closed."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards