Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Fourth fitting!

Wondering if some of you ladies can relate. I have my fourth fitting next Wednesday and I'm starting to get REALLY nervous!

I fell in love with a dress online and even though the salon did carry Justin Alexander dresses, they didn't carry that design. So, I tried on a few of this other things and took the leap of faith. My dress came in back in February. My first fitting was a huge relief, because it was the first time I saw the dress and I was really glad that I had not made a huge mistake ordering a dress I had never seen in person. Luckily, I loved it as much in person as I had in pictures!

Photos here

The salon had ordered the dress based on my largest measurement (my hips) and the fit there was perfect but the top of the dress was huge! I'm only 5'4 and there was so much extra material in the top of the dress that they basically had to take the collar off and rebuild the entire top of the dress.

Second fitting was four weeks later since they had so much work to do. The top was fitting much better but they still needed to make some adjustments in the bust, in the collar/shoulders, armholes and in the back of the dress. They also had to pin the hem which they hadn't even looked at during the first fitting because there was already so much work to do.

I went in to the third fitting on Wednesday (two weeks after the second fitting) feeling pretty confident that the dress would be ready or close to ready. Nope. The hem was totally crooked. They had taken off the scalloped lace at the bottom of the dress and reapplied it but it was reapplied unevenly and it was too short in several places. One armhole was still not quite right (left marks around my arm within five minutes) and the back wasn't laying flat on one side.

I have a FOURTH fitting scheduled for next Wednesday. They will then make final tweaks and I will be able to pick up the dress the following week, two days before the wedding.

I had thought I might need two or three fittings. I did not expect to have five appointments. Is this normal? I keep telling myself that the cut of the dress is really different from most of the strapless/ sweetheart necklines that are popular, the collar/ back is really fussy, I'm really short, etc. But I'm really starting to worry!

My big consolation is that the alterations package was a flat price so I'm not paying every time they change something.

How many fittings did you have? Were you a nervous wreck?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fourth fitting!

• Options

Let me start by saying that is dress looks AMAZING!  In all honestly, I can see why they may be having toruble but a fourth fitting (and so close to the wedding) would mke me feel nervous too!  I honestly don't have much advice, just wanted to send you an internet hug and wishes that everything works out!

Is it possible to try a different seamstress?  I am guessing so close to the wedding that may not be an option though :/

• Options
    Thanks cowgirl8238!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can see why they are having difficulty. The bodice is very intricate with the collar and the criss cross around the waist. The hem shouldn't be that messed up unless they aren't used to a scalloped lace hem.

I can understand being nervous and I'd be nervous as well. Ihope it works out in the end
  • Options
    I have nothing to add really except to say that is a beautiful wedding dress! 
  • Options
    love the dress could it  be the semstress has not worked on this type of dress before but shes good enough that she can fix it properly..

i know i am having issues with my dress waist wise the dress is perfect but the dam top soft sweetheart is not laying right on my top half mind you its way to big so they have to take it in but i am so nervous that it wont fit properly at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards