Chit Chat

Gender neutral skin and hair care products.

Re: Gender neutral skin and hair care products.

• I love it too!  Fi and I already share a lot of gender-neutral stuff anyway: shampoo and conditioner, body wash, and we use the same face brand.  We both order our razors from the Dollar Shave Club.  My sister asked me the other day why I had a men's razor.  Ummm.... the only difference is the color of the handle!  I buy these because they are cheaper and I like the quality.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• It's funny- FI and I share a lot of products but his 15 year old son refuses too- he insists on "manly" smells.

I'm a pretty good couponer so we're both fairly neutral on the products we use- I end up getting a lot for free/cheap so we use what I bring home. The only thing we both have strong feelings about is deodorant - I like something a little girlie and he likes something that's definitely meant for men.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It's funny- FI and I share a lot of products but his 15 year old son refuses too- he insists on "manly" smells.

I'm a pretty good couponer so we're both fairly neutral on the products we use- I end up getting a lot for free/cheap so we use what I bring home. The only thing we both have strong feelings about is deodorant - I like something a little girlie and he likes something that's definitely meant for men.
    Yeah we don't go that far either.  I use Dove Unscented, all the time, because it's the only deodorant that doesn't irritate my skin, and I don't really like my armpits to smell like perfume anyway.  He uses whatever Super Duper Manly Adventure Deodorant he likes the smell of that particular day at Target.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Yeah we use the same shampoo and soap, ect. The thing so we use different are deodorant and conditioner. I buy color safe conditioner because I dye my hair and he insist that it makes his hair feel weird.
  • @JCBride- I use the same one. He uses something blue. I can't remember what it is but he's hardcore devoted to it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We don't use the same shampoo because I HAVE to use Head and Shoulders, and he doesn't need to (so he uses super cheap stuff). We share conditioner and face wash. We don't share body wash because he has very dry skin and needs something more hydrating than I do. Most of my face-care products are unscented, and I'm trying to push him to use some of them. I'm waiting on a ton of Paula's Choice samples, including several for him.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • We've been using Costco's sulfate free shampoo and conditioner and we both love it. For skin care- if you want to get something really nice you both can use I highly recommend Arcona. I'm biased because my sister is an Arcona-certified aesthetician so I get the stuff for every holiday, but it is really fantastic and the scents are super minimal and not girly at all. I use their basic five daily.
  • I doubt FI and I will ever use the same products. I have super long, color-treated hair so I use shampoo/conditioner appropriate for that. FI keeps his hair really short, and that heavy of a product makes his head feel greasy. And skin-wise, he's super oily and I'm dry/combo. The one thing we do agree on, though, is Cetaphil lotion before bed.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I'm weird but I love the men's products. I use Nivea for men face wash, we share the Axe body wash, and I use the same Axe deodorant as him but my own container. We use generic Sauve shampoo/ conditioner in a generic "rain" smell.

• I love it too!  Fi and I already share a lot of gender-neutral stuff anyway: shampoo and conditioner, body wash, and we use the same face brand.  We both order our razors from the Dollar Shave Club.  My sister asked me the other day why I had a men's razor.  Ummm.... the only difference is the color of the handle!  I buy these because they are cheaper and I like the quality.
    I've found that mens razors work better. I figure they are used for the face so maybe they are sharper and  higher quality?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    jenna8984 said:
    I'm weird but I love the men's products. I use Nivea for men face wash, we share the Axe body wash, and I use the same Axe deodorant as him but my own container. We use generic Sauve shampoo/ conditioner in a generic "rain" smell.
    I used to use Axe deodorant. My mom used it and recommended it. It seemed a LOT more effective than all of the women's deodorant I had used, and for some reason, I liked that I smelled like an attractive dude. But one of the downsides was that it does NOTHING to soothe razor burn.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Any hair or skin product can be gender neutral if you want it to be.

FI probably won't be using most of my hair or face stuff though, just because I have magenta and purple hair so that requires special shampoo and conditioner, and as for face stuff I am a total skincare nut and have a whole little routine of different creams that I use. FI doesn't exactly care about eye cream, lol.  

FI has used, and really likes, this awesome coconut oil body scrub that I make.  As for scents, he was born without a sense of smell so he doesn't care about that. 
  • FI and I will never use the same shampoo b/c the kind I use is specifically designed for blonde hair and lightens your hair as you use it.  It also smells so incredibly girly.  

And normally for body wash, I actually use body scrubs that exfoliate my skin.  If not, my arms and legs get incredibly dry and peely and FI will call me a lizard.  Sometimes, though, I use his body wash because I love the smell of Old Spice.  If I do, though, I'll use a body scrub with a plain scent and then use his body wash afterwards.  Same with deodorant, I will often use Old Spice because I love the smell.  It's either that or the women's Dove Energize one because it's like lotion for underarms and feels/smells oh so lovely.

• Trader Joe's also has some gender neutral personal care products, although the branding isn't nearly as sexy as these.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• FI and I use the same soap and shampoo.  He's not into the whole conditioner thing, plus his hair is already insanely soft and smooth, so I am the only one who uses conditioner anyways.  Same goes for lotion- he doesn't need to bother with it, so I get the Jergens tanning lotion to myself!

larrygaga said:
    I've found that mens razors work better. I figure they are used for the face so maybe they are sharper and  higher quality?
    ^Agreed.  I find FI's are so much sharper, they last more than one time (like mine are *supposed* to do), and they don't nick and tug as much.  I felt bad last week because FI had to borrow one of mine to shave for work, and the blades tugged so much.  Poor guy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards