Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair Trial... Fee?

Is it typical for hair trials to cost a fee? This afternoon I went for a trial. I loved the hair and made sure to "take care" of the stylist. I asked her if there was an additional charge and she referred me to the owner. The owner who is the one who begged me to come in for the trial since she is just starting the salon part of the business. I was told I owed $68. Is this normal? I did not anticipate the cost and was flustered. Thanks

Re: Hair Trial... Fee?

• I've never heard of getting one for free. You took up time in that stylist's chair that could have gone to someone else. So yes you have to pay. Otherwise people would go in for "free trials" and claim they are looking for a stylist to use at their event any time they wanted to have their hair done.

• staar987 said:
    I've never heard of getting one for free. You took up time in that stylist's chair that could have gone to someone else. So yes you have to pay. Otherwise people would go in for "free trials" and claim they are looking for a stylist to use at their event any time they wanted to have their hair done.

This. Some stylists I am considering will put the price of the trial towards the price of the day-of hair, but you have to pay for their time initially.
  • I called several places before booking my hair trial, and they were all charging between 50% and 100% of the "big day" price for the trial. Always ask first.
  • Yes, it's typical for them to charge a fee.
  • staar987 said:
    I've never heard of getting one for free. You took up time in that stylist's chair that could have gone to someone else. So yes you have to pay. Otherwise people would go in for "free trials" and claim they are looking for a stylist to use at their event any time they wanted to have their hair done.
    This.  You're being provided with a service, therefore, you must pay for it. 
  • Of course you have to pay for a hair trial. You're getting a service after all and that stylist is spending time on you doing their job. In many cases, a stylist will also try different styles to see what you like best or spend extra time on the trial to make sure you'll be happy with it come day of the wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, paying a fee is typical.  The trial is also typically a discounted rate compared to day-of hair.  
  • I paid $60 + tax + tip for mine.
  • Yes, a fee is typical - unless of course you were getting your hair done by a relative or close friend, then maybe I could see them waiving the trial fee.  Doesn't sound like this is the case, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Yep, I paid $100 for my hair and makeup trial (day-of will be $120). 

• Yes it's normal, because you are taking up the time of stylist and products too. So it costs them money to do and it's a plus because you know for sure that you will be getting the look you want for your wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards