Getting in Shape

Bored and making excuses

So...I've been doing really good.  I lost around 10 lbs in 6 months using the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women.  I actually had been down 13 lbs (to 119 lbs @ 5'2", but now I'm 122 lbs), but I've gotten bored with the gym again.  I'm so frustrated!  I love the feeling after I work out but it's been really hard for me to get into the gym.

Not to mention that the book bashes running as cardio, and running is one of my favorite activitites.  I've been signing up for 10Ks but I feel like 6 miles isn't enough to keep the weight off.

I'm using myfitnesspal but I have a difficult time because we go out to eat a lot of the time and I don't know how to estimate what I'm eating (like how many calories are in my sandwich bread etc).  I know I can estimate but I always feel like I'm going to be wrong and mess it up.

I guess I'm just a hot mess right now and I need some encouragement.  I signed up for kickboxing so hopefully that helps.  The other morning I ran 5 miles before work but I messed up my foot pretty bad - I got a HUGE blister and now it's all cracked and I can't wear gym shoes without splitting it open.  I'm taking the week off of workouts to recover, since I have a 10K this Saturday.

Blah...anyone else just feel frustrated?  And I'm terrified that I'm going to gain all the weight back and be a fat bride on my wedding day.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bored and making excuses

• I just want to point out that a lot of tracking sites have a restaurant database, at least for chains, and many places also have their nutrition info online. And if you're truly concerned, you can make cooking your own food a priority. Don't let that be an excuse.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I didn't know that!  Thanks, I don't see that on MFP but maybe I'm missing it.
  • I'm going through a period of blah-ness, too.  It's rough!  One suggestion I got was to vary my exercise routine every so many weeks because although I love yoga, I got bored doing it 3-4x a week.  I tell everyone I can I'm going to the gym to keep me accountable and so I will actually go tonight - and today I laid out all my clothes so that I really have NO excuses when I get home. 

In regard to MFP, search by the restaurant and you should be able to find most entrees on there.  If you're at a smaller restaurant, I know it's annoying to search for each piece of food individually - I usually search "turkey with wheat" or something similar and use the estimated count (as long as it's not something completely unrealistic).

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_bored-and-making-excuses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:26468723-0b41-4ec6-9cc8-88d088e377c3Post:2190ddd6-57a3-401e-ab93-5c3d1948b379">Re: Bored and making excuses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't know that!  Thanks, I don't see that on MFP but maybe I'm missing it.
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]

<div>If you search for the restaurant and menu item it should pop up (example: Wendy's small fry). Sometimes this info IS wrong, so be aware of that (but like PP said, the info can sometimes be found on the restaurants web site).</div><div>
    </div><div>Another thing you can do is, if you eat a sandwich at a certain small local restaurant every week and you don't want to have to type in each individual element every time you eat the sandwich, you can create your own meal in MFP and store it. I've done this for meals I eat at least once a week (example, Chicken Tikka Masala, I figured out all of the nutrition info and input it as a whole meal versus breaking it apart as chicken, sauce, rice, naan etc.)</div>
  • Most chain places have their info in there like PP's advised. I try to cook 90% of my meals. If I eat out twice a month, that's a lot for me. I mean there are special occasions that can't be avoided like weddings, parties, etc. But I really do my best to make all of my (and FI's) meals. It's so much easier to track your calories when you really know what you're eating because you know exactly how much and what you're putting into the food. You never know what the restaurant is adding!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If MFP doesn't have the data, a lot of restaurants have their nutritional data on their websites.  If you know you're going to eat out, plan your meal in advance, and make sure you don't get there super-hungry.  That's when all my plans go to hell.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I hear you.  Don't worry.  You're not going to be fat bride.  It seems like you know what to do but you're just bored right now.  Sometimes you just have to let yourself be ok with being bored.  It's a funny thing how when we just let ourselves be, we find the energy and motivation again.

Going to the gym can be boring. So what about taking a dance class? Dancing is so great for our bodies and mind.

For now, why don't you just eat nutritionally sound rather than trying to count calories? Make sure you have lean clean protein, healthy fats and some kind of healthy carbohydrates (like vegetables or beans) with all your meals.   Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards