Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cake and Punch + OOT guests = OK?

2»

Re: Cake and Punch + OOT guests = OK?

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree with the others, while a C&P reception is perfectly acceptable etiquette wise, if you have a lot of travelling guests, myself, I would like to offer enough food to make a meal.

You could do a lunch reception pretty cheaply (and possibly make your reception longer, if that is something you are interested in- more time to spend with your OOT guests... but you don't have to either). 

Pizza is awesome. BBQ anything is awesome (hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs, whatever). Heavy hor's d'eouvers are awesome. Tea sandwiches also awesome. 

Basically, as long as you provided me with enough food to make a meal, even if it was smaller items, I'd be A-OK with that. 

You can beef up a smaller meal choice with fruit and veggie trays, cheese and cracker trays, cheese and meat trays (with buns?). Make your own sandwich options with either buns or croissants. Pasta and meatballs are easy to make and go a long way cheaply. Swedish meatballs on their own (you could probably buy a big bag from the grocery store then cook them in a slow cooker with sauce- ready to go!). Salads (pasta or lettuce based) in general. 

I haven't had dinner yet, can you tell I'm hungry? Food is awesome. 
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree with the PPs that cake and punch receptions are appropriate for local guests. I love @SP29 's suggestions. Lasanga trays and pasta and salad are also super inexpensive options. Here in So Cal we also have Mexican catering for about $10 pp. I just think that if a family or couple is spending $1,000 + to attend your wedding more substantial food is appropriate.
  • Thanks for all of the suggestions, everybody! Very much appreciated. =)
  • Thanks for all of your input! We're now looking into other food options. BBQ and sandwiches are on the list to get quotes for - would ya'll consider pizza to be a solid option if was presented nicely?

Edit: I added an unnecessary word. Silly me.
    We're doing mini gourmet pizzas at cocktail hour - I'm super excited about it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Check into places like GFS, Costco, and Sam's Club. You can usually get some decent-sized deli trays for about 25% of what a catering company or grocery store would charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards