October 2014 Weddings

Short or Long Bridesmaid Dresses?

edited March 2014 in October 2014 Weddings
Hello Ladies,

I went shopping with my bridesmaids this weekend and we found bridesmaid dresses! My original plan was to have them in short, but after looking at them on the website again, I am wondering if long is the way to go!  I originally loved the flirtiness of the short dress but I think the long ones give a free fun vibe as well. Are you having short or long bridesmaid dresses?

I am getting married outside in North Carolina, so it should not be too cold...my FH and I are pretty casual and want our wedding to be fun and relaxed. 
We are ordering the Love Lane collection Tori dress. My "of honors" will be in teal and my bridesmaids will be in navy. I will also be adding a cap sleeve to the dresses as well. My bridesmaids range in sizes (0,8,12,16) and my 15 year old sister is going to be in my wedding as my maid of honor. 

Here are the dresses in long:

Here are the dresses in short:

Here is my dress:

Thoughts/Advice? Thanks in advance ladies :) (also... hooray of October brides!)

Re: Short or Long Bridesmaid Dresses?

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I love the long dresses way more than the short ones personally if we're just talking about looks. I'm probably biased though since we're going with long dresses for BM dresses too. I think the short dresses have more of the "fun, relaxed" vibe that you seem to be going for. To me...long dresses say elegant and formal more than relaxed and casual.

• And I personally love the short dresses, rather than long dresses. I wanted all of my girls to feel comfortable and confident in their dresses. Plus, I wanted them to choose a dress that they were sure they would be able to wear again in the future, whether at another wedding, or party, or whatnot. I wore a long dress for my brother and sister-in-law's wedding, and I will never be able to wear it again since long dresses are so formal. But everyone has their own opinions, and you need to go with what you think brings out the vision you have for your wedding! Good luck! 
  • We are doing long just so I can keep them as warm as possible!!!! :) it just kind of fits with the season and elegance I am going for! 
    Anniversary
  • I am having my girls wear long - mainly because it will be fall in Connecticut and it just makes sense.
  • We are doing a hi-lo hem! Best of both worlds!
  • I love the long dress!! It is so romantic and perfect for fall setting!!
  • @gingerelizabeth I would go short for your wedding! I love the flintiness of the short dresses too. It should still be warm in North Carolina. Also, having your wedding outside and being more casual the short dresses fit that setting so much better. Plus, your dress is so cute and would look better with short dresses. Just my opinion. Fun.

I am doing long dresses. It's colder that time of year in Kansas City than the Carolina's. Plus we are leaning toward a more elegant look. "Rustic to Regal"  Still trying to decide on which one. 

My sister (MOH) and I went shopping a month ago and she loves the feel of the crinkle chiffon material. I am all about being comfortable and want my wedding party to be comfy as well. Unfortunately, the dress we like is only offered in spring colors :/

Has anyone else picked one yet? Let's see them :)
  • Short dresses in fabric like that always just look kind of unfinished to me. Like they were long dresses that someone just cut off.
  • Ask your bridesmaids what they think and why. You have a bridesmaids in all different shapes and sizes. When I asked my girls what they wanted (because frankly I just didn't care too much) the girls on the larger size (one is a 18 and the other a 16) said they preferred long because they would feel more comfortable. 
  • We are having short dresses.  I let my girls pick any red knee-length dress that they liked.  I wanted them each to be comfortable and find a dress that they would love.  Now we have a variety of styles and fabrics, but they will all be knee length and red.  I think that will be fun, and the fall colored bouquets (reds and oranges) should help tie together the different shades of red.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I went with short. I asked my bridesmaids and that is what they preferred :)
    I think it will fit in beautifully with the type of wedding we will be having. It's going to be here before we know it!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards