Catholic Weddings

Shoulders covered during ceremony at church

Quick question. I wanted a 1 inch strap for my bridesmaids but my grandma who is making the straps is having problems with it. What did you have to cover their shoulders for a ceremony in the church? I'm just trying to brain storm some ideas.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Shoulders covered during ceremony at church

• My dress had sleeves, but my bridesmaids' dresses were more of just a wide strap (maybe 2 1/2 inches)?  It was important to me to have covered shoulders, but it was difficult finding bridesmaid dresses with a sleeve that would look good on my bridesmaids, so when we found a dress with a thick strap, I just went with it.  I think they ended up looking decently modest.

I also put on our wedding website that ladies were asked to cover their shoulders in the church.  It's actually a stated rule (although rarely enforced) at our church, so I took it fairly seriously.

SaveSave
  • i wore sleeveless and my MOH had a strapless gown that she was able to purchase a matching bolero for.  honestly, her dress looked so much prettier with the bolero that i wish she'd kept it on all day!
  • My bridesmaids had halter-style dresses with wide straps, but their shoulders were not covered.

An easy fix might be to get scarves or wraps.  If you did some pretty scarves, they could even be part of your gift to your BMs.  =)
    Anniversary

• My parish didn't require covered shoulders.

But, I would suggest anything BUT the satin wraps from David's Bridal...those things are just unpleasant.

• It was very important to me for all of us to have our sholders covered (as well as being a rule at the parish.) I just had all the girls pick whatever wrap or bolero they wanted in black. It actually looked really nice. It helped them match the groomsmens black suits even better. Then after the ceremony we also took lots of pictures outside without the wraps.
    Anniversary
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. It is important to me that they have something on their shoulders. The dress comes with spaghetti straps and my grandma kept telling me that now days brides and bridesmaids where strapless dresses during the services but I'm a little more modest and always cover my shoulders during mass and I want my bridesmaids to have covered shoulders.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you are asking female guests to cover their shoulders, I think the bridesmaids absolutely need to. It's like writing black tie and having the groom in a suit- if I'm making the effort to find a dress or wrap to cover, your girls had best be doing more than a wide strap too.
  • I found a beautiful brown sheer shawl on esty. I can't wait to see it in person.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm looking around for the same kind of thing for my wedding Mass.  My gown itself is strapless, but I would like to get a bolero or long-sleeve lace jacket for the Mass... I have some bookmarked, but they're pretty generic, and found at generic bridal stores... I'll have to check out Etsy, I just cringe at the thought of it not fitting, or sending it back and forth to get it to fit!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • My bridesmaids' dresses were technically sleeveless, but they all felt comfortable AND I thought they were appropriately modest.

Their dresses were from Target, $55 on sale.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Why did my photo not upload?! Trying again.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • my church has it as a requriment i am armenian orthodox (christian) and i have to have my shoulders covered the thicker laced straps on my dress wont work so i am having a jacket made up.  then my maids have a one shoulder strap dress but we are getting chiffon wraps to cover the shoulders in church. after ceremony they can take the wraps off and i can remove my jacket
  • My bridesmaids pretty much insisted on strapless dresses, so I knew I would have to cover them somehow. They said they didn't mind covering up for the Mass if they got to wear a dress they loved for the rest of the night.
    I found soft ivory pashminas on clearance at TJMaxx and I just went for it. No reason to overthink it when they'll probably just leave it in the car on the way to the reception anyway. My wedding is in May in South Georgia, so I doubt they'll get cold. However, it makes a nice gift. I rolled them up and tied them with gold ribbon so it's becoming one of their bridesmaid gifts, because at least it's classic enough to wear again in "real life."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards