Pre-wedding Parties

Who gets invited to bridal shower?

I was just wondering what the etiquette is on invites to the bridal shower.  I know whoever is invited to the shower should absolutely be invited to the wedding, but what about the other way around?  I didn't think it was necessary to invite every female invited to the wedding to the shower, but mother & FMIL seem to think differently. I thought the shower generally is the people closest to you, not your finance's-cousin's-girlfriend and old family friends you haven't seen in 20 years. Plus I really don't want my sisters (MOHs) to have to pay for something that is essentially half a wedding.  That being said, I also don't want to insult anyone or be disrespectful.

Thoughts?

Re: Who gets invited to bridal shower?

• jrpownall said:
    I was just wondering what the etiquette is on invites to the bridal shower.  I know whoever is invited to the shower should absolutely be invited to the wedding, but what about the other way around?  I didn't think it was necessary to invite every female invited to the wedding to the shower, but mother & FMIL seem to think differently. I thought the shower generally is the people closest to you, not your finance's-cousin's-girlfriend and old family friends you haven't seen in 20 years. Plus I really don't want my sisters (MOHs) to have to pay for something that is essentially half a wedding.  That being said, I also don't want to insult anyone or be disrespectful.

Thoughts?
    It is not.  

You are right it should be the people closest to you and possibly your DH depending on the type of shower you are having.  

The last shower I was invited to was for someone I had met twice and we had only spoken on one of those occasions.  It seemed very gift grabby to me.  I did not attend.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Really it should be just the people you know well.  However that should include close family members on both sides of the family.  I would say you are safe stopping at mothers, sisters, aunts, grandmas and first cousins, then adding additional guests you or your FI is close with.  Also invite all of your friends.  It is not necessary to invite the plus one''s of a male cousin or brother if you are not close.  If there are people that this plus one knows well that is also attending your shower it may be just a nice gesture to incite that person. However, it is not etiquette to actually invite that person.  If it could become a financial strain on your bridesmaids then I would definitely only include those close to you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards