Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Words

We aren't writing our own vows...I believe vows should match and kinda like going with something our officiant suggested..

I did, however, get FI to agree to sharing some thoughts that we wrote for each other (and did not share beforehand).  it's kinda equivalent to a reading and I know 5min was mentioned as a possible time frame (its only about a  30min ceremony  

I have a rough draft and wanted to see if y'all had any input...

I beg your forgiveness.  I think most of you know that I am quite at home and in touch with my words when it’s just me and my laptop.  However, you take the laptop away and put me in front of a crowd, not to mention, a crowd filled some of the very best people the world has to offer, and I’m likely to stumble over my words or ramble too fast.   

(Groom's Name)–

I wish I could tell you you’re the man of my dreams.  But I can’t.    I’d never have dared to dream for so much.  I’d never have imagined I could dream that big or hope for someone so wonderful to love and the miracle that he’s love me in return.

I always assumed that, despite having so many wonderful friends and family members in my life and in my heart, I was fundamentally something of a solitary soul.  And then you appeared.  And I learned what it is to feel truly at peace with another person, the beauty of feeling wholly content sharing a simple quiet moment with a partner and a love.  The beautiful, impossible contrast of feeling so at peace at the same time as my heart beats a bit faster because you’re there with me.  You are my journey and my destination.

I love you and admire you.  I am humbled by your commitment to everything you believe, a commitment you live each day.  I may always be a pacifist, but your willingness to stand up for your country is a level of bravery I’ll never stop admiring. 

I love that you can be so serious, a big strong Military Man, and then, usually behind closed doors, be so completely silly.  I love that you take pictures of an ailing fish so we can remember each one, I love overhearing you talking to them by name, and the fact that you set up a camera to keep an eye on our crazy little frogs whenever we’re away…or even if we’re just in the next room. 

I am honored to have a place in your heart, knowing how fiercely you are committed to those you love, be it your mother or your closest friends.  I am proud to stand here with you, to choose you and be chosen in return. 

I have many wishes and many dreams for the years to come but one of the greatest is this – I hope that when I look back on this day that, despite my heart feeling so full at this moment, I realize that today was the day in our marriage that I loved you the very least and that our love only grew in the months, and years, and decades to come.  I can’t wait for that journey to begin.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Words

• clg1213 said:

We aren't writing our own vows...I believe vows should match and kinda like going with something our officiant suggested..

I did, however, get FI to agree to sharing some thoughts that we wrote for each other (and did not share beforehand).  it's kinda equivalent to a reading and I know 5min was mentioned as a possible time frame (its only about a  30min ceremony  

I have a rough draft and wanted to see if y'all had any input...

I beg your
    forgiveness.  I think most of you know
    that I am quite at home and in touch with my words when it’s just me and my
    laptop.  However, you take the laptop
    away and put me in front of a crowd, not to mention, a crowd filled some of the
    very best people the world has to offer, and I’m likely to stumble over my
    words or ramble too fast.   

(Groom's Name)–

I wish I
    could tell you you’re the man of my dreams. 
    But I can’t.    I’d never have dared to dream for so much.  I’d never have imagined I could dream that
    big or hope for someone so wonderful to love and the miracle that he’s love me
    in return.

I always
    assumed that, despite having so many wonderful friends and family members in my
    life and in my heart, I was fundamentally something of a solitary soul.  And then you appeared.  And I learned what it is to feel truly at
    peace with another person, the beauty of feeling wholly content sharing a
    simple quiet moment with a partner and a love. 
    The beautiful, impossible contrast of feeling so at peace at the same
    time as my heart beats a bit faster because you’re there with me.  You are my journey and my destination.

I love you
    and admire you.  I am humbled by your
    commitment to everything you believe, a commitment you live each day.  I may always be a pacifist, but your
    willingness to stand up for your country is a level of bravery I’ll never stop
    admiring. 

I love that
    you can be so serious, a big strong Military Man, and then, usually behind
    closed doors, be so completely silly.  I
    love that you take pictures of an ailing fish so we can remember each one, I
    love overhearing you talking to them by name, and the fact that you set up a
    camera to keep an eye on our crazy little frogs whenever we’re away…or even if
    we’re just in the next room. 

I am honored
    to have a place in your heart, knowing how fiercely you are committed to those
    you love, be it your mother or your closest friends.  I am proud to stand here with you, to choose
    you and be chosen in return. 

I have many
    wishes and many dreams for the years to come but one of the greatest is this –
    I hope that when I look back on this day that, despite my heart feeling so full
    at this moment, I realize that today was the day in our marriage that I loved
    you the very least and that our love only grew in the months, and years, and
    decades to come.  I can’t wait for that
    journey to begin.

I would absolutely remove the first part about begging forgiveness. You are saying you vows to your spouse. Your guests are witnessing them. You shouldn't be speaking to them or giving them a warning or disclaimer.

Also, this reads like a love letter, not vows.
  • OP mentioned that they're doing traditional vows in addition to this.

But yeah, I don't think this is appropriate to read aloud during your ceremony. It's a lovely sentiment, but it'd be better to read or give it to your fiancé privately. These words are so lovely and intimate; it can be awkward for outsiders to get such a close look at a relationship. 
  • edited April 2014
    I agree. I think it's beautiful (totally made me cry at work, thanks a lot) and you should definitely share this with him, but I would give it to him as a letter (minus the first bit) to read privately before the ceremony. There's nothing wrong with sticking to the boilerplate vows for your ceremony, with or without readings. The B&G shouldn't really do those readings though.

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Agreed that this is a lovely private letter, not a reading for a wedding. I would not be comfortable listening to this at a ceremony because it is VERY intimate. If you really want it read at the ceremony, I would at least remove the first part. But again, I would strongly reconsider. These seem like incredibly personal thoughts.
  • thank you for the input.  i'll re-think the use of the sentiments.  i do have a space in our ceremony for us to exchange some form of sentiments but maybe i'll figure out something simpler
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards