Wedding Woes

Dear 6lb 8oz baby Jesus, don't let this be me. *(not that I think it will)*

Dear Prudence,
My husband and I have a wonderful marriage, a great sex life, and are very happy together, with the exception of one argument that we are continually having. Shortly after my husband and I married, he was offered “the opportunity of a lifetime” to help set up a new division at his company’s office in Beijing. This was supposed to last 12 to 18 months and was going to be our big adventure. It’s now six years later, we are still in Beijing, and I hate it. The first year I tutored, took Mandarin lessons, and made friends with other expats and some locals. We now have two lovely children and I have continued to be involved with the community: I volunteer at a charity teaching English to migrant workers, I write articles and reviews for a local English magazine, etc. But the pollution is horrendous, and I miss my friends, my family, my old life, and the U.S. My husband has no desire to move back. His career has advanced at a pace he couldn’t have dreamed of back home and he’s the youngest person in the company worldwide in his position. I think my husband is being extremely selfish by putting his career ahead of what’s best for his family and we’ve been fighting for two years over this. We’ve seen a therapist several times and that’s gotten us nowhere. I’m ready to pack my bags and take the kids back to the States and live with my parents and tell him to call us when he comes to his senses (though I would never actually do that). But what should I do?

—Stuck in Beijing

Re: Dear 6lb 8oz baby Jesus, don't let this be me. *(not that I think it will)*

• I think she should do exactly that.  She agreed to a year and a half, and did it with a smile.  He has taken advantage of that generosity.
  • I think before she up and leaves, she should give him some sort of conditional time frame for him to make a change [3-6 months seems fair] - The kids and I will be moving back to the US on [date] - you need to discuss making a transfer with the company and move back with us, quit/work to find another job in the US, or continue to live/work in China and I will file for a divorce (does this mean a divorce? taking the kids and leaving with no plans for him to come back sure seems like it would...)

4-6x the length of the original assignment seems like more than long enough if one of the parties is completely unhappy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards