Wedding Woes

WDWWT? poll

I know this is dependent on multiple factors, but what is your general rule of thumb for making and receiving phone calls? 
Finish the following 2-4 statements:

On weekdays:
Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before ______am 
Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after ______pm 

(If applicable) On weekends:

Re: WDWWT? poll

• On weekdays:
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before ______am   7:30
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after ______pm     10:00

Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before ______am  8:00
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after ______pm     11:00
  • For weekdays, 6:30 am, weekends 7am...no later than 10pm.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • So, who called at 3am? :)
  • On weekdays:
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before _9_am 
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after __10__pm 

Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before __10____am 
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after ____10__pm 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    9 and 9 is my default for any day.  I also don't think it's appropriate to call between 530 and 7 pm unless emergency.  I'm looking at you MIL who called DH's phone then mine at 6 pm to wish us a Happy Anniversary. 
  • On weekdays:
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before 8 am 
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after 9 pm 

Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before 10:30 am 
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after 10:30 pm 

• 5:30am - call #1 on DK's (work) Blackberry. He was in the shower - I was still asleep. I rolled over and hit the button to send it to VM. 
    5:31am - call #2 - also sent to VM. 

It was DK's employee in India, calling because he couldn't get something to work. It was not an emergency, and DK is typically in the office by 7am - so he could have waited 90 minutes or sent an e-mail if it was *that* urgent. It did not warrant TWO phone calls. 

If his phone wasn't issued by his company, I would have cussed the guy out on the first call - it comes up as a 1-866 number - so just looks like a telemarketer. 

FTR:
    On weekdays:
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before _7-8_am 
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after __10__pm 

Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before __9-10____am 
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after ____10-11__pm 

Unless I know the person is available early/late, I try to be pretty conservative about when I call. 
  • Weekdays, 8am; 10pm
    Weekends, 9am; 11pm
  • On weekdays:
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before ___9___am
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after ___8___pm

Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before ___10___am
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after __9____pm
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm pretty pissy if someone is calling after 9pm.
  • 9 AM - 9 PM is also my general rule.  Unless it's my Mom because she is up early.
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    9 to 9 regardless of day, which is what my parents taught me when I was a kid. Though on the weekend, I'd probably wait till 10 am.

And yeah, please don't call me after 9 pm. Although I only have a cellphone, so it's really easy to ignore.
  • Honestly, I don't ever answer the phone unless it's someone in my contacts list. If it's important, they'll leave a message and I'll call them back. I hate talking on the phone, so I avoid it as much as possible.

• edited April 2014
    I have a home and cell phone, and there are only about 4 or 5 people that call it regularly. I guess I'm not popular, so I would answer a late or early call, but can't guarantee that I would be making much sense.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    Work has different rules though.  Especially coming from India that could have been an honest mistake.
  • Honestly, I don't ever answer the phone unless it's someone in my contacts list. If it's important, they'll leave a message and I'll call them back. I hate talking on the phone, so I avoid it as much as possible.

And this is why texting or chat/IM functions are so ossum!!!

Unless it's a group text. And if it involves more than 3 people/2 minutes to resolve, you need to be waterboarded in time with the endless text dings.
  • @6fsn - it's really not difficult to look at a world clock and realize that it's 5:30am - and then to call back a second time? To my understanding, it's typical in India to not start your work day before 9-10am, to take a longer lunch and to work later in the evening. (to me, that would mean that people also sleep a little later - if you're not getting home and eating dinner until 9/10pm, and then spending time with the family, you're not getting up at 5am.) DK's employee works so that he has several hours of overlap with DK's schedule in the morning - for purposes of training/troubleshooting/meetings/etc. 

Apparently this guy also called and woke up another of DK's employees in the US. 

DK has now instituted the policy of "if it's outside of my normal office hours, send me an e-mail, and wait for a response before calling" 
  • I never call anyone before 10 am, mainly b/c I don't want to talk to anyone before 10 am.  Day doesn't matter.  I don't call anyone after 9pm, day doesn't matter.
  • I have also been known to not remember having late night phone calls.
  • *Barbie* said:
    I know this is dependent on multiple factors, but what is your general rule of thumb for making and receiving phone calls? 

On weekdays:

8am-9pm
    10am (normally 9, but I'm in college now)- 10pm (also normally 9, but my college friends are up until 11 or later most nights)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 0Face0Face member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Oh man.  At work?  I call anytime after 7:30 if not earlier.  Construction keeps some weird hours, yo.

Night time?  Not after 9.
  • 9-9. However, I have a rule that if you call me after 11pm, I will call you back when I wake up at 5am. (If it's someone close I still pick up when they call, they never do unless it's an emergency.) Most people learn very quickly not to call late at night.
  • Someone who calls me at 7 or 8am on a weekend will get an air horn blown into the phone, followed by a resounding click.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    It doesn't sound like he does it every day so I'd consider it a mistake. Looking at a clock isn't hard, but sometimes people forget. 
  • Weekdays, 8am; 10pm
    Weekends, 9am; 11pm
    same

Anniversary
  • If you call me before 9 AM, you're taking me out to breakfast. House rule. 9 to 9 is a safe standard, I think.
  • *Barbie* said:

On weekdays:
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before ___9___am 
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after ___10___pm 

Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people before ___10___am 
    Unless it is an emergency, It is inappropriate to call people after ___10___pm 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards