Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How do receiving lines happen?

Does the minister make an announcement? Do guests know to just fall in line? And where? I feel like every wedding I've been to we've just headed straight to the cocktail hour.

Clueless.

image   image   image

Re: How do receiving lines happen?

• Usually it's pretty obvious because the bride and groom (and usually parents) are standing right outside the doors to the room greeting everyone. People will know how to fall in line, and it becomes pretty obvious what's going on when there's a big line to leave the ceremony. 
  • The bridal party exit the ceremony first, followed by the bride's parents and the groom's parents.  They immediately form the receiving line, and greet each guest as they exit the ceremony site.  It all happens very quickly.  It is considered rude to start a conversation in the receiving line.  You just say "I'm so glad you could come!  See you at the reception!"
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Oh awesome! We are def gonna do this rather than table visits.

image   image   image

• Oh awesome! We are def gonna do this rather than table visits.
    We ended up doing both, because the receiving line really isn't a good place to chat, and there were some people we wanted to chat longer with.

But it was nice to have done the receiving line and to have made the obligatory comments to people so that it was done.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We just exited the church and stood by the doors.  Everyone followed us.  Once they said "Hi", they either went to the reception, mingled outside for a bit, or headed back inside for pictures/to gather up stuff.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards